2007 Ford Edge (awesome CUV)

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by DakotaGuy, Jan 10, 2006.

1. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Attached Files:

2. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

3. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Helo exact copy of Nissan Murano damn you got it first grrrr.

4. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Um...don't you have to get behind the wheel and drive the thing before you can say that? These are based on the CD3 chassis which is a stretched Mazda6. Very few FWD cars can outhandle the Mazda6.

Besides they fixed the worse part of the Murano, it's hideous rear end and rear quarter window that came right off the AMC Gremlin.

Last, believe it or not I would put more faith in the Edge to be a quality product over the Nissan. Ever since Renault bought Nissan their quality has been suffering.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06009/633531.stm

Sure you can blame it on one plant, but I blame it on Renault changing the focus of Nissan from quality to profit. Renault Fuego...LeCar...Encore...Alliance...Do I really need to say more? Maybe the ones they left in France were great cars, but the ones they brought over here were terrible in terms of quality and reliability. Companies change over time, but Renault left a bad taste in a lot of American's mouths.

5. number9 macrumors 6502

You may be right about Renault changing the focus of nissan from quality to profit, but when the company was severely in the red, and basically tanking less than 10 years ago, I'd say profit was a good goal. Sure they are having problems at that one plant, and the biggest critiques of some of their newer models being the interior quality, they are still pretty good cars. And in recent years, mostly the last two, they have begun to address those short comings in quality. With the newer interior of the Altima for 04-05 greatly improving over the last interior, the newer pathfinders and frontiers, as well as the quality in the newer Infiniti G35's and the brand new M, plus what appears to be fairly high quality interiors on the upcoming Sentra and the entry level Versa, they seem to be focusing more on the quality now that they've reestablished the profit.

But with regards to the new Ford Edge, I actually really like it. Ford is finally starting to get its act together as far as styling goes since they released the incredibly bland Five-hundred (theyre actually refreshing that ahead of schedule because its so underpowered and has received such a luke warm reception to the looks). Plus if its based on the underpinnings of the Mazda and its being shard with the Lincoln MKX as well, theyve got a pretty good foundation for a CUV. The Fusion sedan and its mercury and lincoln cousins are based on the mazda 6 as well, and those have caught my eye too and seem to be selling pretty well.

It should be interesting tho to see what happens in the coming years to these models, as the next version of the Mazda 6 for the US is going to grow in size, leaving the current proportions to the japanese and euro market. Mazda wants to move more towards the true midsized sedan, rather than the compact midsize sport

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Yawn. Another anonymous crossover vehicle.

When will this obsession with SUVs END?

7. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

It is too bad about the Five-Hundred because the car has so much potential. It is one of the safest cars on the road today and gets great fuel economy considering how much room it has. I think the new 3.5L Duratec and a facelift will do a lot for the Five-Hundred.

Ford did manage to sell about 212,000 D3 based (Five-Hundred, Montego, and Freestyle) vehicles this year however with the smaller engine and bland styling. There is a Lincoln MkS coming that will be based on the D3 platform, but it will have a 4.4L Yamaha V8.

They have already sold about 27,000 CD3's (Fusion, Milan, and Zephyr) and those have only been out a couple of months.

Detroit needs this to be a lesson. If you build what people want with good quality and safety ratings, people will buy it. Sure there are many people that will buy NOTHING but Japanese no matter how good the domestics are, but there are many people that would like to purchase from Ford or GM if they have good products. It is funny to think if Ford had not bought Volvo and Mazda none of these new vehicles would have been possible. I still don't know why GM did not use it's stake in Subaru like Ford has in it's companies. Instead they just sold it off to Toyota instead of using it to better their products.

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

When gas is $6/gallon - which will be well within the life span of these vehicles.....

Doesn't really do anything for me - but it might also be the color - bleh.

D

9. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Maybe because people like the versatility of these types of vehicles. They really are more versatile and will do more then a normal sedan. CUV's are a good idea. Versatility like an SUV with economy like a car. What is the problem with that?

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

yea it looks too much like the second car but its cool still.

Bless

11. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

When gas hits $6/gallon it is going to hurt the average sedan buyer just as much as it does the buyer of this vehicle. It is projected to get around 25MPG and that is not a whole lot lower then many midsized and fullsized sedans. Ford is also putting full effort into their hybrid program and I would bet you will see the Edge offered as a hybrid since the Fusion Hybrid is coming next year.

Say what you want about SUV's but right now many small cars can't make the kind of mileage a Ford Escape Hybrid SUV can.

12. number9 macrumors 6502

Abercrombie, you're right. The edge and its mazda/lincoln cousins and alot of the cross over SUVs and CUVs coming out lately and being developed are designed with just that in mind, the people who still want the SUV look or experience to an extent, with out the 15 MPG efficiency. Theyre all car based for the most part, because those chasis give the best ride and are fairly versatile as far as what you can put on them. Alot of mid sized sedans are even lower than some of the suv's and the hybrids coming out, with efficiencies around 21 mpg highway, but most of those are the bigger displacement and V8's. To almost every carmaker's credit, they are actualyl trying to improve the efficiency in most automobiles, but theyre really limited by practicality of other systems (fuel cells are looking promising but are still far off), the demand of consumers to still have high performance, and in part by the oil industry and the time it would take to create any infrastructure capable of supporting any alternative fuels besides hybrids and ethanol/organic based fuels.

13. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I would argue that minivans are more versatile and station wagons are just as versatile, with better performance due to a lower cg.

It's about image/style with SUVs. And I happen to dislike that image - just opinion.

I will not say that hybrid SUVs are a bad idea, but several motoring journals observed signifcantly lower mileage in the Escape Hybrid than EPA estimates claim. Driving smaller cars has been, is now and always will be far more effective than trying to use some sort of technical panacea. Still I'd much rather see hybrid SUVs or diesel SUVs than the current gas-guzzlers.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I do really love pushing my Six around the curves. :)

15. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I am at the Detroit Auto Show (Well the hotel now).

Most of the media standing by me at the unveiling, stated that it looks like the Nissan as well! I agree with that 100% having driven a 2006 Nissan Murano from Chicago to the Detroit area to cover the show.

What is really annoying, is the fact that you need an appointment from Ford to get inside this to take pictures. I found this out after sitting in the Mercedes SLR, and Aston Martin Vanquish (a car made by Ford's Premier Auto Group) :confused: .

The Reflex is MUCH more worth attention in my opinion.

[​IMG]

16. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

I have to agree that reflex could be on par with the low end BMWs if they put a nice power plant in it and subsystems

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Comparing a regular small car to a hybrid SUV? So you're happy that manufacturers of large hybrid SUVs can now give us large SUVs that can attain fuel efficiencies nearly the same, if not still lower, than mid-to-large sedans and small cars/hatches?

I think the main purpose of building more fuel efficient cars is to pollute less, and the best way would be to get fuel efficient cars, and make them MORE efficient by making them hybrids.

But you're just happy that cars/SUVs that are far too big and unnecessary to begin with are now on par with mid-sized sedans, while mid-size sedan hybrids coming soon will actually BE making progress by achieving 40-45 mpg or possibly better in several years.

I remember when 250 horsepower was incredibly powerful. That was 15 years ago. Did the Earth's topography change so much over the past 15 years that now we all need massive cars with 4 litre, 281 horsepower engines to trek around town, pick up the kids from school, and lug some groceries and kids sports equipment around?

18. CompUser Guest

Actually, that car reminds me more of an Old lexus RX300 (overall shape) + the back of a X5.

Its interior does look like a nissan, along with the color.

I don't like the giant ford symbol.
    ---

I think SUVs are fine, as long as you use it as a four wheel drive car. That means you carry lots of stuff, need 4wd, and possibly tow stuff. Here in CT where I live, we get lots of snow, and frankly my parents don't feel comfortable driving around in a 1lb car, 2" off the ground, in 3' of snow. That is why we own a Land Rover Discovery (14mpg), VW Touareg (18mpg), and a Jeep Grand Cherokee (18mpg). In the snow you want a 4x4/AWD car that is heavy so it has good traction and more that 3' of ground clearance. However, due to my dad's commute 1.5hrs, about 150 miles, he is considering an smaller sporty sedan such as an a4 or a6.

SUVs are stupid if your you live somewhere with no snow, get a station wagon or minivan.

No, it does not make it right to drive faster, but at least you can get from point A to point B without trouble. The last delayed opening my school had, many cars got stuck infront of the school. Those cars included a saab 9-3, volvo v70, some teachers old mercedes (300-E). A lot of people where I live do have Subaru Outbacks and Volvo cross countries.

19. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I agree, if the Ford makes the Reflex a reality I'll be impressed with them once again. Even if it remains a three seater, a diesel hybrid that looks as good as that (or similar) would be a huge step forward.

20. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I've got a Mercury Mountaineer, and honestly, I love it. Very convenient for toting around large loads...camping, skiing, etc. 4WD for heading into the snowy mountains.

But my next one will be smaller...used to think the Escape would be a good size, but I really like the idea of the Freestyle or something similar. Definitely a hybrid though...I've probably got a good three or four years before I buy again, so hopefully the technology will be deployed virtually across the board by then.

21. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

By the end of this year all the diesel in the US will be ultra low sulfur and thus compatible with euro-spec diesel engines. there are a lot of Japanese and Euro vehicles sold here that are already sold as diesels elsewhere, and bringing them here would be easy.

SUVs especially would benefit since a diesel engine is more suitable for towing.

22. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

your right an exact copy of the nissans external appearance... and I have no problem with the muranos rear end.

23. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Now that is sexy... looks simmilar to the martins

24. furryrabidbunny macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

Whats with ford decking out their grills with cheap looking chrome? Is that really appealing to people? I'll keep my bland silver civic hatch thank you.

25. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I am happy with improvements. You seem to think that everyone can get by with a tiny little car. How do I tow my trailer? How can I haul several people with me? How can I haul things? How is this tiny little car going to do on gravel roads? dirt trails? How do I my haul my snowmobile, ATV? When I want to get back to my fishing hole? A compact hatchback or sedan is not an answer for every consumer like you state. How about families with several children? How do they get them to fit in the thing? What happens to me when a Toyota Sequoia or Ford Super Duty runs a red light right into my little car turning my body into ground beef??? I agree not everyone needs a 15 passenger van or a Suburban but a vehicle like the Edge or even the Explorer has it's place.

What is funny is if you tracked mileage over the last 25 years you would see that Detroit has been improving over that time and the Japanese have gotten worse. Why? Because all Japan used to make was small cars, now they have all the same larger vehicles like GM, DaimlerChrysler, and Ford have.