Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are You Waiting For A Stoakley-Seaburg and 2007 Graphics Cards 8-Core Mac Pro

• No. I bought the FrankenMac

Votes: 30 7.1%
  • Yes I Will Wait 'Til Apple Gets It Right

Votes: 246 58.0%
  • Not sure. Waiting for benchmarks on the 4.4.07 model.

Votes: 27 6.4%
  • I'll stick with 4 cores, thank you very much.

Votes: 121 28.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
I'm A Born Again Multi-Touch Proponent

Multi-Touch

Correction here : I meant the R600 Graphics Card

I'm "speculating" Multimedia..

As far as less than 2 weeks we "see" SS..That's just it..We SEE it..
Leopard and the "other" MacPro wont ship till June.Even though Apple shows us the cool stuff April 15th.

We WILL see Leopard at NAB.
Great. Well after watching Jeff Han's 3.5 minute 16MB QT Movie on Multi-Touch, I'm a born again Multi-Touch convert. :) I sense that was what Steve was demonstrating on the iPhone wasn't it when he showed how with two fingers he could change the size of images on the screen?

That graphics card looks great as well since I was hoping we could have HDMI out in the next Mac Pro. I would like to see the base card be dual Dual Link DVI instead of only one Dual Link and one single link DVI port.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
What does this have to do with SS?

Leopard is going to include as a "secret feature" . . . and new High Definition codecs.

What better way to show this off than on a new Mac Pro w/SS attached via the cross-fire video card to the new HDCinema Displays with multi-touch.

Where better to show this cool stuff than at a professional audio/video convention in Vegas.

;)

The primary benefit of SS to NABies is the PCIe 2.0 spec. More lanes, more speed for bandwidth hungry applications. Not a lot. It is important to keep in mind that even the top end MacPro is still only a consumer class computer.

Most of the typical enterprise class tricks and specs are missing from it and even Apple's server products lack many of the features high end enterprise class hardware has, hence the market lock companies such as Sun and IBM have on the upper end.

I agree there SHOULD be an emphasis on graphics processors since they are fast. But Apple seems to have a legacy principal of doing everything in software and the main CPU bus. As such any increase in the speed of that bus, any shift to more ramdisc (SSD) like operations and any shift to radically faster I/O is welcome. I/O will see a large jump at NAB simply from quad-channel 4Gb fibre channel PCIe (to your RAID) and increased use of infiniband. Some solutions use a PCI board to bring it out to an external box that can hold more and longer PCI cards with large power requirements.

10.5 and ZFS and PCIe 2.0 and a few other under the hood details will make this shift to bandwidth heavy content movement practical on what is otherwise essentially a consumer price machine.

Rocketman

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Great. Well after watching Jeff Han's 3.5 minute 16MB QT Movie on Multi-Touch, I'm a born again Multi-Touch convert. :) I sense that was what Steve was demonstrating on the iPhone wasn't it when he showed how with two fingers he could change the size of images on the screen?

That graphics card looks great as well since I was hoping we could have HDMI out in the next Mac Pro. I would like to see the base card be dual Dual Link DVI instead of only one Dual Link and one single link DVI port.

re: Han and Apple.

You will be interested in reading This about the iPhone

Scroll to the bottom and look at the patent diagrams that are very similar to the Newton.Except using multi-touch.

Visualize those diagrams on an 30" or even 42" HDCinema display.

Or for the adventurist in us all.

Visualize an iPhone for the home except using an 11" screen ..Using Skype.Controlling the :apple: TV,changing pictures every few minutes like a photo frame.iChat phone calls...

The lists go on and on and on..

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
The deal breaker for me is that this is 1 year old tech with a new processor working with questionable effecientcy. I need a current Graphics card, and the thought that a S-S board will support SLI or Crossfire is a very nice thought. I probably really want a REV2 Quad with Leopard installed, even though i could max out 8 cores pretty easily right now. Its painful at the moment since my hardware is really showing its age. If the REV2 MP's are all 8 cores, well i'll deal with that :)

I might have to take the plunge and buy this latest Mac Pro. These current Mac Pros, will they support DX 10 GPUs? I'd like to purchase one later when they become available.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
I'll believe it when I see it! :eek:

Apple will roll out the new improved set of FCS, Shake, CS3, performance demos under Leopard with Octo.

These performance tests demoed by SJ at NAB will be through the roof.

Apple will debut new SuperDuper drive with BR DVR and new media center software.

Finally they will add GPU upgrade options, BR options, etc to Mac Pro BTO.

BANG, That itchy trigger finger clicks the mouse for Add to Cart and complete transaction.

It's too late! You've fallen victum to SJ's reality distortion field and bought a new Mac Pro octo, even though it doen't contain SS.:eek:

But you have a big grin on your face as you open that new Mac Pro box for the first time.:D :D :D

You tend to forget about all the obvious and obsessing shortcomings of a product when you actually have pushed the "buy" button and received the product.

If you need the processing power, the 8-core 3.0Ghz Mac Pro is the way to go.

It will save you time which for the majority of people needing a Mac Pro means more money. You will be able to do things you have not been able to do before.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
What I described is NOT in Vista..

But to keep on topic..

Microsoft said:
Windows SideShow is a new technology in Windows Vista that supports a secondary screen on your mobile PC. With this additional display you can view important information whether your laptop is on, off, or in sleep mode.

Windows SideShow uses gadgets, convenient mini programs, to extend information from your computer to other devices. Gadgets can run on a Windows SideShow–compatible device and update that device with information from your computer. Using a gadget, you can view information from your computer regardless of whether your mobile PC is on, off, or in the sleep power state—which can save you both time and battery life.
Running mini-applications and checking on certain computer functions on a secondary device regardless of your computer's status? Well what were you talking about then? Want me to throw in Windows Media Center support and MSN Messenger on a UMPC device? :rolleyes:

If I'm wrong would you care to explain it to me.

Peace said:
Visualize an iPhone for the home except using an 11" screen ..Using Skype.Controlling the TV,changing pictures every few minutes like a photo frame.iChat phone calls...

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Running mini-applications and checking on certain computer functions on a secondary device regardless of your computer's status? Well what were you talking about then? Want me to throw in Windows Media Center support and MSN Messenger on a UMPC device? :rolleyes:

If I'm wrong would you care to explain it to me.

If you can show mw where MS is using "Multi-Touch Technology" to do that then I will.:)

Butthead

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
Well the chips were made available to Apple and so they quietly added that expensive option for those who think they need it sooner, rather than later.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/07/04/05/mac.pro.special.xeon/

"For now, the product is in limited production and Apple has chosen to adopt it. We will introduce another 3.0GHz Xeon SKU later on as well...The model in question is the Xeon X5365, according to additional comments by Intel's Italian PR director Ruben Simpliciano."

Interesting, another 3.0GHz of a different SKU??? You know Apple loves to hype their video editing products capabilities, using the fastest available (or soon to ship) model they can come up with. All the video edit software is horsepower intensive. Perhaps they don't have a fast enough GPU option at this time, and the 8-core is what they needed for showing off the wow factor with all the vid ed software making it's debut at NAB. Which will kind of suck, because I want most, if not all of it; to be able to be run on an substantially improved Santa Rosa MBP 17in. w or w/o Leopard.

What happened to all those LED backlight screens, 2k res or higher that were supposedly coming soon?

McEngineer

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2007
Northern California
Implications for maximum RAM?

The most common reason to consider an 8-core, I imagine, is when you want to do a large task faster than you already are; however, another motivation is to attempt even larger tasks that would have tied up too much continuous machine time before. Such larger tasks need correspondingly larger amounts of RAM, and I was wondering if anyone knows why the 8-core Pro is still limited to 16 GB max, while the Xserves have had a max of 32 GB for a while now; and is SS likely to change this.

(Granted, I'm not quite over the edge of the want/neet/afford threshold for 16 GB and the $11,000 or so extra for 32 GB using 4GB modules from Crucial is, flatly, not in my grasp. But I can dream...)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
If you can show mw where MS is using "Multi-Touch Technology" to do that then I will.:)
Who said you needed multi-touch? You make it seem like it's the only way to have a touch screen device.

I don't see any OEM tablet Macs from Apple either.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-Multimedia

Here you are!

Well, due to your point, I went for a quad 3 (see updated Sig - even though it's not here yet.) And when the Penryn/Stokeley's hit, I'll be relegating the Quad3 to the Music Studio.

brooker

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2007
PacNW
I can't justify dumping that much money into what is mostly last years tech.

Sorry, i'm kinda new here... are you saying that since S-S was announced, that makes everything in the current MP old news? Maybe once those boards are shipping, i would understand the frustration if Apple didn't make use of them (isn't that what happened with Merom?). But if it is not available, and you can add aftermarket Blu-Ray and GPU (prolly save $$ anyway), right now, and it has a CPU that is not available anywhere else... How can you say this is "last year's tech"?? Isn't it still top of the line? i guess last year wasn't so long ago...

By the time S-S is shipping, won't the plans for the next logic boards be public knowledge? PCI 3 or something, and better faster caching and FSB... But that doesn't make what's existing obsolete, does it?

by all means, correct me if i'm wrong, but after reading through a bunch of these discussions, i'm having a hard time understanding your perspective.

maybe i'm just trying to justify the purchase, but before i go ahead with it, i want to be sure i'm not missing anything.

Thanks.

product26

Cancelled
May 30, 2005
you do realize that if apple had not made this move, people would bitch about how 'LOOONGGG' it took them to release an octo core mac?

i say wait and see.

you are limited to what they give you

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
you do realize that if apple had not made this move, people would bitch about how 'LOOONGGG' it took them to release an octo core mac?

Apple should have made this move (adding an X5355 BTO option) in November or early December.

Then they would have sold them for months before the "wait for Stoakley" threads would have appeared.

Adding something that Intel's had out for four months just means that you're going to be closer to its replacement time.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
i'm going 4 core

Well, i'm not going to get the frankenmac, but i'll get a 4 core now. my projects are building up and i need a 3rd machine to process them.

my question is simple and i certainly don't mean to stray this thread:

aside from the extra $$$$, is there any big differentiating factor between the 2.66 and 3.0 except for the processor diff?

cheers,
keebler

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
Apple should have made this move (adding an X5355 BTO option) in November or early December.

Then they would have sold them for months before the "wait for Stoakley" threads would have appeared.

Adding something that Intel's had out for four months just means that you're going to be closer to its replacement time.

I agree. This move makes no sense to me. If Apple is really close to offering Stoakley, BR, new GPUs, new design, new displays, why make this BTO option now.

Why didn't they release the Octo in December and then update with the features above in the April/May timeframe when SS is available?

By offering Octo now, if Apple has a new BR drive, SS, or GPU available soon then it seems they will just irritate the current Octo buyers.

That's why it makes me think we won't see SS, new design, etc. till late 2007 or early 2008 with Penryn (sp?).

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
Well, i'm not going to get the frankenmac, but i'll get a 4 core now. my projects are building up and i need a 3rd machine to process them.

my question is simple and i certainly don't mean to stray this thread:

aside from the extra $$$$, is there any big differentiating factor between the 2.66 and 3.0 except for the processor diff?

cheers,
keebler

No. Just clock speed.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Peace said:
I really,really,REALLY believe we will see Leopard at NAB.
Maybe a new demo with some new stuff, but no way will it be released or even announced. It's no where close to being ready. Trust me. Nor do I believe we'll see an updated Mac Pro. Maybe a new video card option one of these days, but then they would have just waited a few weeks.

NAB will bring an updated FCS with some cool Leopard (hopefully with support for more RAM) and multicore goodness.

Intel has had the Quad 2.6s out for awhile, but the 3s are new. Brand new. Apple seems to have been the first to get them out there. Though it would have been nice for Apple to add the other Quads, they were more expensive than they were worth apparently, not being much faster, if at all, in real world use than the dual 3s. Again, it would have been nice, but probably more of a hassle than it would have been worth for them.

As for me, I've been waiting for Santa Rosa. Either an upgraded 24" iMac, or maybe a Conroe based mini desktop with room for at least 2 hdds and a replaceable video card. But I'm doubting that will happen anytime soon. I've been doing alright with my G5 iMac that I bought on the cheap after we heard about the Intel chips coming, and almost got the current 24", but now I'm glad I waited. Came into some money, and just started a very lucrative new job, and this new Quad 3 will be perfect. I don't care what's coming, I'm tired of waiting, and my developer discount will be ending in August.

I'm planning on getting the Quad 3, upgrade to the ATI card, and wireless but buying the rest 3rd party. Even with the dev discount, it's still cheaper for some things 3rd party. 750GB drive, with a 1TB drive when they come out for Time Machine. I can use the 250 that comes with it to test Leopard and/or for Windows booting. Lots of RAM from OWC and a new video card when they come out. I'm sure something better will eventually come along that's 15% faster and 10% cooler, but in the meantime I'll be cruising along on my new Mac. :D

AppliedVisual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2006
My take on this is Apple was able to secure the initlal 3GHz Xeon production so they went ahead and dropped them in. There's a good bet that introducing 8-core systems just before NAB and with faster CPUs than what any competitor is shipping, could be a prelude to bigger announcements at NAB. And even possibly a smokescreen of sorts to throw certain competitors off. I'm still looking for a major update to the Mac Pro with SS in the next 3 months or so.

If the next revision doesn't have SLI/Crossfire style multi-GPU options and more current offerings, I'll probably skip Macs and build PCs for the couple workstations I'll be needing toward the end of this year. I'm hoping Apple doesn't let me down, but this current upgrade seems more like a stunt of sorts or just one of those "because they can" updates.

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
My take on this is Apple was able to secure the initlal 3GHz Xeon production so they went ahead and dropped them in. There's a good bet that introducing 8-core systems just before NAB and with faster CPUs than what any competitor is shipping, could be a prelude to bigger announcements at NAB. And even possibly a smokescreen of sorts to throw certain competitors off. I'm still looking for a major update to the Mac Pro with SS in the next 3 months or so.

If the next revision doesn't have SLI/Crossfire style multi-GPU options and more current offerings, I'll probably skip Macs and build PCs for the couple workstations I'll be needing toward the end of this year. I'm hoping Apple doesn't let me down, but this current upgrade seems more like a stunt of sorts or just one of those "because they can" updates.

Apple want to maximise their proffit. Hence new hardware will not be released within a set timeframe (30 days?) of Leopard. They want people to pay up for the upgrade :D

So they toss this out now and catch all the fence sitters who were waiting for CS3 and Octos. Then Apple gets to milk them for their Leopard upgrade! Profit!

Anyone who did a little reading knew the quads were on the way. Anyone with experience with Intel-based PCs would also have known just how long it takes for these things to go from "comming soon" to being available for purchase - and would just have bought the Mac Pro six months ago.

Of course the same people who have been twitching like brain-dead monkeys dithering about making their purchase - placing their order - canceling their order - will now wait for Leopard. When Leopard rolls in they will then wait for the next update (new chipset and other features), by which time more details about Intel's future lineup will be emerging (true on-die quad or octal cores, on-chip memory controler, etc).

Twitch monkey-boys! Twitch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.