2007's Rumor Rejects and Unconfirmed: Google Acquisition, iSight, MacBook Pro, Hannah Montana

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 31, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

MacRumors receives many rumor submissions every month -- most of which can't be verified, and many are outright fake. Here's a collection of rejected or unconfirmed rumors from 2007 that we publish for interest alone, and are not necessarily believed to be real. In the past, some rumors from our rumor reject list have later become true.

- Since June 07, Merrill Lynch is preparing the Apple's acquisition by Google and indeed of everybody's expectations of the new gadgets arrival, this will become a main news that Eric Schmidt and Steve Jobs are delivering on the MacWorld Expo.

- [A Friend of submitter] told me that Apple is designing a replacement for the iSight. He won't say any more other than that it is to be attached to the screen in "an unusual manner".

- The new MacBook Pro will have 32 gigs of flash RAM installed IN the screen. The screen will be removable and will have touch capability, like a tablet PC. The screen will also have an 8 hour battery and will weigh less than one pound. It will be much easier to use than a tablet PC, however, as it uses some kind of special software that mixes iPhone-like touching and something no one has seen yet. Speech recognition plays a big part in this device's functionality. It is possible that it integrates with the iPhone as a new communication device. Internal codeword is iDub.

- Apple is trying hard to enlist teen-pop legend Miley Cyrus aka Hannah Montana to do some kind of iPod (or iPhone?) advertisement of some kind! The logic to this is that the typical target audience for Hannah are the exact same teens (11 to 17 year old girls, maybe boys too) who coincidentally are the same market segment who are big fans/users/believers of the iPod and iTunes as well.

We typically collect these minor news items and questionable rumors on our Page 2 (RSS).

Article Link

2. macrumors 65816

narco

The big news here is Hannah Montana.

3. macrumors member

DisturbedLen

Google to buy Apple?
    Ummm... No.. Let's hope not...
    Whilst I love both companies, I would not like to ever see Apple being bought by anyone. Perhaps the other way around.

Long live Lord Jobs...

4. macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

I'm still trying to understand what 'an unusual manner" could possibly mean, even in the realm of imagination.

5. macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

OMG OMG I hope the Hannah Montana rumor is true! She's the greatest!
    Seriously who would buy an iPod because Hannah Montana is on the front of it.. it anything its going to put people off it.

6. macrumors 68000

It's a code word to give their rumor credence.

Thankfully, macrumors is smarter then that.

7. macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

Actually she's quite popular. This is a realistic rumor.

8. macrumors 6502

I wouldn't toss that Hannah Montana rumour aside necessarily. Isn't she one of the biggest teen stars on the planet?

9. ATG
    macrumors regular

You would have thought they would at least try and make it believable :rolleyes:

iPods are very real. I don't think there is anybody who doesn't "believe" in them ;)

10. macrumors 65816

+1 on the Hannah Montana potential.

My 11yr old niece is infatuated with this pop star. I went online to buy tickets for her New Orleans concert at the precise time the servers started accepting orders (Ticketmaster). Thankfully I got 2 of the best tickets. Within 3 minutes, the entire stadium had sold out.

So lucky I was able to order them. My niece played with my iPhone extensively over the holiday break (mostly MySpace and YouTube). Needless to say she already wants one BAD, and a Hannah Montana endorsement would seal the deal without a doubt.

Good move, Apple.

11. macrumors member

rckstwrz

"The files are IN the computer!?!?"

12. macrumors regular

The world will end when Google buys Apple. Thus, expect it to happen 12/21/12

13. macrumors 6502a

I like this format. Even if everything in this post is nonsense, it's pretty entertaining. It gets old fast, but it's helpful to occasionally explain *why* a particular Apple-related idea wouldn't work.

The two companies are already pretty well allied. They don't flat-out compete much, and they can and do work together to both parties' benefit. A merger/buyout would confuse both brands and I can't think of a single thing it would contribute to their businesses.

What would you attach it to, their old computers that are going to be almost completely replaced (for all practical business purposes) within a year or two by models with iSight built in? Ok, ACDs don't have iSights, but even if Apple wanted to add them (which I don't think they do because they're positioning ACDs as serious studio gear, not communication/entertainment tools) they'd just add them to new ACDs. They also have zero interest in selling accessories for non-Apple hardware.

Sounds awesome. Sounds complicated. Sounds very, very expensive.

By Darwin, please no. The technology isn't good enough and I hope it never is. Nobody wants to talk to their computer, especially not a portable one.

P.S. If you *ask* people, they'll say they'd love it. Then you have them use it, and they hate it, no matter how well it works.

She's a little too popular and a little too plain for a typical iTunes ad, but if true, this would be wholly unsurprising... and uninteresting.

14. macrumors regular

I like the iDub. That's the most made up "rumor" I've seen in a while. Whomever made that up should have called it the "i'mDumb if I believe this."

I'm sure there will be disagreement, but I don't thing Apple really releases "revolutionary" products, more "evolutionary". There may be lots of revolutionary stuff in the lab but they seldom see light of day as products. Apple releases technology that is well tested and doesn't have a lot of "WTF" factor.

15. macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

Am I the only one to get that? :D Zoolander, people!

16. macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

17. macrumors newbie

I like how Miley Cyrus is referred to as a "legend"
    :confused:

18. macrumors newbie

19. macrumors 6502a

How incredibly short-sighted of you. Speech recognition is quite important, for those with certain disabilities. Windows has built-in speech recognition-to-dictation, which the Mac OS seems to lack.

20. macrumors 6502a

Here's how you know an Apple rumor is false. Kasper Jade from AppleInsider is the author of the rumor article.:p

21. macrumors 65816

Blue steel! :eek: <-- this is my blue steel face.

22. macrumors 6502

This part had me laughing out loud for quite some time....

23. macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

i think most of us got that
    just held back from saying anything ;)

24. macrumors 6502

My friend(Who is obbsessed with Hannah Montanna and listens to the music, Male Teenager BTW) showed me a vid of her using her iPhone, so i bet that is part of the reason Apple pursued her. Not to mention the fact that Steve Jobs is on the Disney Board if I remember correct.

Apple + Google = w00t

Though you know what would be even awesomer

Apple + Google + Nintendo (I want my iDS god dangit)

25. macrumors 65816

But all of these rumors are fake!

If you read every 3rd and 16th word in the sentences, it's clearly talking about iMacGyver. What is it? It does anything. It's a little box that kind of looks like an iPod Shuffle see... only when you put stuff beside it, it turns it into things!

And the MacWorld demo is going to go like this... I saw it being rehearsed just yesterday...

"And here it is! The iMacGyver. Now watch as I place this toothpick and selection of Madonna CDs and also this partially used napkin beside it.... Oh! Oh wow!"
    [kookookeekuhkah (because that's the sound it makes, like a transformer)]
    "That's right, folks. I just created a Samsung phone out of these random objects. And it even works!"
    [steve uses the phone to call his iPhone]

"Now let's talk about the iPhone. Every new iPhone..... will come with an iMacGyver!"