Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa
Google to buy Apple?
Ummm... No.. Let's hope not...
Whilst I love both companies, I would not like to ever see Apple being bought by anyone. Perhaps the other way around.

Long live Lord Jobs...

I don't see it happening, but it would be a best of both worlds scenario. We could finally see what happens when Apple is not limited by finances or Jobs' personal biases while still being completely focused to the core group.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I'm still trying to understand what 'an unusual manner" could possibly mean, even in the realm of imagination.

Maybe Apple has extended MagSafe to allow data to be transferred over it, so you can just "lift" it off without needing to formally unlatch it with a lever or button. :p

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
I still think Apple and Google will merge.

I find it very strange that Apple is letting its stock price climb to such high prices, instead of splitting it, like they have historically. It almost seems like they are trying to bring it in line with another company's stock....

There has also been lots of talk about succession at Apple; who in the world could take Steve Jobs' place and vision? How about Dr. Schmidt?

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I still think Apple and Google will merge.

I hope not.

Nothing against Google. They're obviously masters of their core competency - Internet search engines. And I can see how that competency could be leveraged in supporting the true goal - lucrative and sustainable online advertising.

But how internet search engine and online advertising expertise translates into designing and building computer hardware, cellphones (note Android is an OS platform and not a hardware platform), PMPs, and productivity software admittedly escapes me.

Honestly, Apple should have bought YouTube and not Google. Apple already has the agreements in place with many media corporations who could have leveraged YouTube to distribute content to iPhones, iPod Touches and :apple:tvs.

ComedyCentral could post The Daily Show and The Colbert Report, for example, and keep the national ads in (and even sell more national ads to replace the slots dedicated to local market ads).

And lower-res versions of the QuickTime movie trailers could also be shown via YouTube on the same devices.

Apple could also have hosted contests to get individuals to post their own content and have advertising tie-ins based on the topic.

azuredesign

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2008
[A Friend of submitter] told me that Apple is designing a replacement for the iSight. He won't say any more other than that it is to be attached to the screen in "an unusual manner".

Did someone just watch I Am Legend, or what?

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Hannah Montana is possibly true. although I would probably kill myself. I would like a detachable/wireless iSight.

thomasterranova

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
"in an unusual manner"

the iSight rumor was my fave because it was so difficult to envision and was therefore extremely intriguing.

here's an idea - a thin, transparent film that attaches to the screen like a screen protector. in addition to providing some kind of rudimentary display for device feedback (just LCD style text) the entire surface would also serve as a camera, since there have been patents filed that use screens themselves as the input devices, allowing for a true, "camera-less" videophone experience like we've always seen on fictional TV programs.

since it lays over the surface of the screen, it will be called... wait for it...
the OverSight.

:)
[ba-dump bump]

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA

- Since June 07, Merrill Lynch is preparing the Apple's acquisition by Google and indeed of everybody's expectations of the new gadgets arrival, this will become a main news that Eric Schmidt and Steve Jobs are delivering on the MacWorld Expo.Article Link

Jobs will arrange the sale of Apple to Miley Cyrus before Google. Google does interesting services, and now perhaps a phone, with no design sense whatsoever. If anything, Google should *hire* Apple to help them clean up everything they've ever released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.