2008/2009 Chevy Camaro concept.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by quagmire, Jan 7, 2006.

1. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

everybody is getting back to the muscle cars...it looks great but y 2008/2009...its the begining of 2006:confused:...we want it this year man

Bless

3. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

The front looks hideous. I don't like the muscle car look.

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I think the Pontiac Solstice, Chevy Corvette, and Chrysler Crossfire are nice looking american cars.

5. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

The Crossfire is alright, as is the Corvette. I don't like the Pontiac though.

I dig the Ford GT.

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

i like the muscle car look...makes it look old and ready to take on any car...like the 2005 mustang

Bless

7. mac-er macrumors 65816

8. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I am not sure that I like it better than the Challenger concept, but I do like it a lot. If it is priced right it would probably sell well. Even if it is retro, at least GM is coming up with some stuff that has some style, besides the Vette. About time, IMHO. I also like the new Pontiac convertible.

9. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Toyota won't buy GM, and GM won't let itself be bought out by Toyota.

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^^ a die hard fan of GM arent ya:p ;)...if the bill is green, the price is right and GM dont have it....they will sell

Bless

11. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

that is one ugly car. I hope toyota does buy gm. it would be good for both companies.

12. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

I'm not ruling out the possibility of a buy out of GM. I just know it won't be toyota. I would prefer BMW buying GM if GM gets bought out at all.

13. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

(Sigh)
    I knew they'd eventually bring it back. Only a matter of time.
    I owned a '86 IROC Z28 way back when. Basically it was a fast piece of sh*t.
    Hopefully they'll engineer the new one right so as to make reliability and HANDLING less of a point of irritation.
    I like the retro design; but the front fascia would look better with a mesh grill instead of that Chrysler 300 look.
    Also, for God's sake GM offer it with a real manual transmission for the enthusiasts out there.

14. mac-er macrumors 65816

Then, there won't be a GM. GM is finished. They are shooting themselves in the foot.
    Like, for example, they totally ruined the Tahoe design for 2007. It looks like some incestual child of a minivan and the old Tahoe.

15. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Hmmm. GM sold 9.2 million vehicles in '05. GM hasn't sold 9.2 million cars since 1978. Toyota only sold 8.1 million. Don't think GM is going anywhere. NA GM is suffering, but worldwide, GM is profiting. GM is #1 in China. Sales doing great in Latin America and Europe. For the first time GM sold more cars worldwide then in the U.S. And the only part of the new Tahoe that looks minivanish is the rear. The new GMT-900's will sell well. Maybe not as many as the 800's due to gas prices, but will sell well.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2005601070322

EDIT: Apparently GM yelled at R&T and they took the link with the video down. Expect it to be relaunched by Monday.

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

17. mac-er macrumors 65816

The only reason they sold so many cars was because of the employee pricing thing. Their sales plunged 26% after that promotion ended.

They'll also be bankrupt by mid 2006.
    And, btw, Toyota will overtake them as the world's number one car maker next year too.

18. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

No one is buying GM. The American taxpayers will be bailing their asses out within 18 months.

19. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

I am not denying Toyota will be #1. It is a matter of when not if. I am saying though the time will be 2008+. To make it closer I will say 2010, which many analysts are saying. As I said though, NA GM is suffering, no doubt about that. But worldwide, GM is doing very well. The key country to keep GM alive is China. Which I say will surpass the U.S in how the #1 title will be dictated. Right now the U.S is the key for being #1. I say in the future China will. Right now GM has a firm hold on China. People are saying GM will be bankrupt only because of Delphi declaring bankruptcy. You will notice that the bankruptcy predictions for GM only showed up after that event. Ford is in the same boat as GM is in. There is one thing Ford is doing that GM is not. Cutting the payment of the top people. CEO of Ford is getting paid $1 a year, while Wagoner CEO of GM is being paid around $2.6 million a year, and he just secured himself a $4.6 million a year pension. I am calling for his greedy ass head! Take him out. Yes, the employee discount for everyone helped, but worldwide sales still accounted for most of the 9.2 million sales. What people are doing is ignoring the success of GM worldwide and only focusing on NA. If GM was NA only, I wouldn't doubt for a second GM will be in bankruptcy soon. I don't mind GM being #2. It takes a lot of pressure off their backs. And your perfect Toyota saw a 100% increase of recalls this year, while GM saw a 37.96% drop in recalls this year.

20. mac-er macrumors 65816

I will give you this...GM is finally starting to produce some vehicles with some nice designs that I would consider buying. The Lucerne is very nicely designed. And, some of the new Pontiacs are pretty nice. They just need to improve their perception of quality that Honda has. They also need to reduce the number of models they make. I mean, why is there even a GMC line? That entire line is nothing but Chevy trucks.

And, for the love of God, get off OnStar. I want a screen-based navigation system over OnStar. Who wants voice instructions over a map-based system? The ONLY two things OnStar is good for is unlocking your keys if you lock them in your car (though they could produce smart keys that will not let you lock your doors if the keys are in your car, like some cars have) and vehicle tracking if your car is stolen.

They also need more hybrids like the Japanese automakers are committed to making.

21. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Believe it or not GMC is the #2 most profitable division in GM. So why kill it? GM has navigation systems. Just not in the bread and butter cars yet. Stuck in the full size SUV's/trucks, Buicks, and Cadillacs. And in 2007 the Saturn Vue Greenline will be launched. With estimated 27/32 MPG over the 20/28. The price of the Vue will only increase by around $2,000. While the Toyota Highlander hybrid increased by $8,500( $24,530 vs $33,030). The hybrid system that is in the Vue is not GM's star hybrid system. GM has another hybrid system. It is a two-mode hybrid system that is built into the transmission. Saves gas in city and highway( note why it is called two-mode). This hybrid system will be going into the GMT-900's( Chevy Tahoe, Silverado, etc).

Disclaimer: The EPA and price increase is not official from GM. But, from a GM insider forum. Official info will be released tonight at 12:01 am EST.

22. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

Looks a lot like the Mustang, except the Camaro has an ugly front.

23. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

quagmire you work for GM dont you?...well i love GM cars and i think that car posted in the thread starter posted is nice...i want one.

Bless

24. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's a funky looking car, I like it. It's nice and aggressive, it'd suit my mad driving style.

I'd like to see GM focus more on their mainstream cars though, rather than their hero cars. I think that's the area that'll help them overcome the Japanese Giant™. :)

Of course, being an enthusiast, I personally always prefer the halo cars.

25. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

All true.

Too bad for GM, perception is everything. GM is making some nice(r) models right now than in the past, but it's a little late. They'd have to continue making nice models AND keep the reliability high for at least another 5 years before people believe GM cars are reliable and nice, because even if that's true now, people in the general public don't have that perception now. I don't know about whether GM is doing well right now, but word on the street is that they're not, and that they may get bought out. Also, I don't know if they could hold out for the next 5 or more years without being bought out or going bankrupt.

And about GM making too many car lines and models, that's true as well. I can't even keep up with the number of lines and models they make. It used to be worse, but there are still too many. They should keep the Chevrolet, Pontiac, Cadillac, and their European companies like Saab, but do they really need GMC, Buick, Saturn, etc? Ditch them already. Just sell under several badges, not a dozen. Ford sells Ford cars.