Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Well today we got the new Renault and Williams:

diapo_111.jpg

diapo_118.jpg

I really don't like the trend for the bridge nose wing which almost all teams are running now. Hopefully the FIA will do something about banning them soon. :(

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Well today we got the new Renault and Williams:

I really don't like the trend for the bridge nose wing which almost all teams are running now. Hopefully the FIA will do something about banning them soon. :(

me either! it looks like it would catch more wind than re-funnel it a good direction.

so far only the BMW doesn't have one! i hope they win...:apple:

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Could be staff names. At Honda we used to have all the staff names on the inside of the rear end plate. Or it could have something to do with their year of records they are promoting.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Speaking of the Williams livery, I do hope they'll continue their tradition of carrying the Senna S on their cars.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Speaking of the Williams livery, I do hope they'll continue their tradition of carrying the Senna S on their cars.

I think they will do. I remember that it used to be on the nose struts, but I can't remember where it was last season.

The Honda does look nice, the front wing is a bit different. What does surprise me is that it does not look like the BMW considering almost all of the new Honda aero staff are from BMW!

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
The front wing on the Honda looks interesting, but the rest of the car doesn't look too great. At least it's not the same as all the others.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
I think they will do. I remember that it used to be on the nose struts, but I can't remember where it was last season.!

It was on the flip of the front wing, right under the nose.

I've not seen any hi-res pictures of the Williams in season livery yet, so I'm presuming it'll be in a similar location.

Always good to see that modest tribute to the great man. :)

SpookTheHamster8 said:
The front wing on the Honda looks interesting, but the rest of the car doesn't look too great. At least it's not the same as all the others.

It might be just the angles of the photos I've seen, but it looks like it's sporting a really high nose... :eek:

And in comparison to other teams... the aerodynamics don't look any near as developed as other cars. It almost looks... outdated. :eek:

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
I think what Honda are doing this season is taking a very cautious approach. last season the launch car had 101 flick-ups and fins which just confused the aero analysis. They had had problems with correlating the wind tunnel to the track so if they make things simple it will be easier to work out what is going on, then they can start adding bits when the know what effect they will have on the car. A very calming influence from Ross Brawn I am guessing.

The front nose is very high, I think they are trying to get more air around the diff, very similar to the way BMW have worked. Also the have painted the underside of the nose black which gives a bit of an optical illusion.

macgruder

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2007
UK
I wonder how all the non-Japanese drivers will feel when they discover that Japan has instituted fingerprinting of all foreign visitors to 'combat terrorism', or according to a TV personality, to 'help combat the rising crime perpetrated by foreigners'. Unlike the U.S. system (who the database is shared with) this includes long-term residents and work visa holders. I can just see Ecclestone, Brawn, Schumacher, Hamilton, Alonso, Raikonnen, etc. being really happy about that when the time comes.

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
I wonder how all the non-Japanese drivers will feel when they discover that Japan has instituted fingerprinting of all foreign visitors to 'combat terrorism', or according to a TV personality, to 'help combat the rising crime perpetrated by foreigners'. Unlike the U.S. system (who the database is shared with) this includes long-term residents and work visa holders. I can just see Ecclestone, Brawn, Schumacher, Hamilton, Alonso, Raikonnen, etc. being really happy about that when the time comes.

I doubt they care too much, they'll probably be fingerprinted entering other countries anyway.

macgruder

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2007
UK
I doubt they care too much, they'll probably be fingerprinted entering other countries anyway.

Which countries?

Especially I'm not too sure they'll be happy to be added to an international database along with their mechanics etc who would perhaps be affected by this.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Well Honda show off their new car today in an official manor.

6258_420a_pvs.jpg

Not too sure about the livery, I think I prefer the old Earth car. It looks too much like the BMW (not that they will be close enough on the track to confuse them!).

Lets hope for a better 2008!

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
I quite like it, a little plain though.

Heres to hoping Jenson Button has another piss poor season.

Jenson had a fantastic season last year. It was the car that was the problem. Some of his drives towards the end of the season where excellent. Japan springs to mind. He really got the most out of that car and showed Rubens up pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.