2008 macpro 3,1 front fan replacement?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by j2048b, Feb 1, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

Is there a better set of fans I can replace my stock font fans with?

They are making a weird sound and clicking almost like the middle bearing or sleve is loose or broke and it sounds like it is bouncing around!

Any faster or quieter fans I can put in there? Or part # for the replacement fans?

Thanks

2. macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Are you out of warranty or not have Applecare?

The front fans are actually part of an assembly that has the expansion card guides built into it. For that reason, I somehow doubt anyone makes aftermarket ones. In any case, the Apple P/N is 922-7699 and it ain't cheap (around $80-100 at most vendors).

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I still have applecare, i just wanted to see if anyone knew of any aftermarket fans that ran quit and faster or pulled more air into it/

thanks!

4. macrumors 68000

The stock fans are pretty nice Delta models, IIRC. I don't think you'll be able to find anything significantly better. But as mentioned, the front fans are one big piece.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, appreciate the help as well!

6. macrumors 6502a

Delta is making noisy fans. Use Noctua instead. They are whisper silent !

7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

can i get theirs in the mac pro set up, or just change out mine and fit in the noctua ones inside the mac pro casing for the fans?

thanks

what ones would fit? and where to buy?

thanks

8. macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

I'm pretty sure the fans are screwed/clipped into the plastic housing. If you removed the fans and replaced them with similar size fans (they're 120mm fans, but you'll need to make sure the fans you replace them with are the same overall dimensions) then it could work. Do it after your apple care expires, or get a replacement fan assembly to mess around with in case you screw it up.