2008 Saturn Vue

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by quagmire, Nov 29, 2006.

1. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

At LAIAS today, GM unveiled the new 2008 Saturn Vue. Continuing the Saturn-Opel relationship, the Vue is based on the Opel Antara. Specs range from the XE to Redline to Greenline. The XE FWD comes with a 2.4 Ecotec 4 cylinder producing 164 HP and 160 lb of torque. The Ecotec is mated to a 4 speed auto and later a 5 speed stick. The XE AWD version comes with a 3.5 OHV V6 with VVT producing 215 HP and 220 lb of torque. The XR has a 3.6 DOHC VVT V6 producing 250 HP and 243 lb of torque. All V6's are mated to GM's new Hydra Matic 6 speed auto. Now there will be two Greenline models. One is the BAS system from the current Vue Greenline. The other is GM's FWD version of the 2 mode hybrid system. It is powered by the 3.6 V6 with Direct Injection and VVT. Power figures have not been released. It is estimated to give a 45% increase in fuel economy over the base Vue( not sure if it is the 3.6 without the hybrid system or the base 4 banger).

Pics and info:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41176

Info on two mode Greenline:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?p=844257#post844257

2. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

not really the most beautiful car ever built is it? :rolleyes:

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

"We tried to make it more generic looking, but we couldn't."

4. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

yuck the older moel looks much better, kinda looks like an equinox, and torrent.

5. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

which is funny, since the old VUE is the same platform as the equinox and torrent.

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

No, not really. :rolleyes:

7. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

8. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

The Acadia is not bad looking at all( so is the Outlook, platform mate). The Vue is a lot smaller then the Acadia/Outlook. The Acadia is around Trailblazer EXT to Tahoe sized. Based on the Lambda platform. It's fuel economy is decent for its size( 18/26 for the FWD version). The Vue is based on the Theta I/ Theta II platform( not sure what platform the new one is based on). A much smaller crossover platform then Lambda.

9. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

Inspired by the Chrysler Pacifica apparently. Still an improvement...somehow.

10. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Inspired by the Opel Antara mostly. If it is going to look like anything, it would be the previous gen CR-V.

http://forum.avtoindex.com/foto/data/media/61/opel_antara_2007_wallpaper_1.jpg

PS: I love how people are skipping the Hybrid part of the vehicle. Bash GM for not having hybrids out. Then ignore it when GM does. lol And look at this plug in Hybrid that is going into the Vue. 70 MPG estimate, but I see 55 MPG EPA realistically.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41316

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Inspired by? This car has the same dumb look in its eyes!

The Acadia looks bland too, but that's absolutely fine because that's how SUVs look. It has the typical SUV look, so as long as it does the job and isn't an unreliable, troubled piece of (s)crap, it may sell.

12. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

13. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i think it's pretty darn hideous. GM sucked me in with my VUE and i absolutely love the thing. somehow i doubt they're going to get repeat business with the way they're going. Seriously now, which one looks better (it's a bad picture but it STILL looks a million times better IMO)

Attached Files:

14. Gaelic1 macrumors member

GM Junk

Well that's nice. Now if GM could make a car that will last as long as a Toyota, I'd be interested. I've had too many GM klunks with all manner of things going wrong within the first year.

15. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

It'll make a good getaway car if you're going to rob a bank. Instantly forgettable. Officer: "Can you describe the car?" Witness: "Er … it had a wheel on each corner, er …" :D

16. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I'll start out by letting you know about my bias:

I think GM cars are crap, except for the Corvette.

I hate SUVs.

But IMHO, the Opel-based cars are better than totally "home-grown" GM models like the awful N and W Platform cars.

70mpg...I belive it when I see it in the real world from third party testers.

I applaud any attempt at increased fuel economy from GM though. I hope people respond by buying more hybrids - though frankly at the moment they are still too expensive and don't offer a big economy benefit over turbodiesels (which U.S. companies should also be selling, especiallly in trucks and SUVs).

Maybe GM and Ford have finally begun to realize that they need to build better cars in order to pull themselves out of the economic crapper they've so deservedly sank into.

17. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

1) There is really nothing in the new Vue and Aura that are in the Opel's besides styling. The powertrain, etc are all Home Grown. The 3.6 is in the CTS, SRX, STS, LaCrosse, and Rendezvous. The Aura is on the American version of Epsilon.

2) Yeah, I agree. 70 MPG when I see it. I expect 40-55 realistically. But, the 70 MPG will be a great marketing tool for GM if they market it right. Just like the Prius is EPA estimated to get 60 MPG, but gets like 45 MPG realistically.

3) Yeah, more cars and trucks should be getting Diesels. The Saturn Astra( Ion replacement) might get a Diesel. The Astra might be built along side the Opel Astra in Germany for awhile. So GM will be stupid not to throw in the Diesel engine for the Saturn version. Unless of course the Diesel doesn't meet the new requirements. Then I guess GM will see what it is cheaper. Build it in Europe and ship it here, or retool a plant in North America to build it. If GM was going to retool a plant I would think it would be Spring Hill as it can assemble the Diesel engine in house.

4) Yeah, GM at least realized it sells better cars in Europe then in there own country and that is why GM is bringing Opel's here to the U.S. So far though Ford has shown no sign of bringing Fords from other countries to the U.S. There have been articles saying that they will become more global like GM is, but that could be PR talk.

18. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

*groan* I wish so badly that California would loosen up and allow diesels... I'd sell my car and get a nice turbo diesel (and convert it to biodiesel, too).

19. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

VUE meets Equinox meets Acura RDX meets (new) Honda CRV meets BMW X3 meets Hyundai Santa Fe meets every-other-SUV-in-this-class...

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

...."introducing the all-new Saturn Vue."

Sorry, doesn't have a nice sound to it.

21. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

GMC should stick with full frame vehicles. Furthermore, GM should really work more with the designs of their full-size trucks and Cadillacs. Those redesigns are some of the best ones on the market.

Attached Files:

22. Keebler macrumors 68030

a neighbour has a model from 2 years ago...4 cylinder....darn thing sounds like the engine is going to explode when it takes off. just terrible and i've heard it on other vues so i don't think it's her driving skills.

it's bad enough that i'll never buy one....

23. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

It's not a bad looking car...I rather like it.

Vue doesn't cut it though.

Bless

24. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Totally agree with your thoughts on the 70 MPG. But considering my '02 VUE V6 AWD gets about 24-28 MPG, I would be ecstatic with something that size that got 40 MPG!

25. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Quagmire,

It's pretty darn good looking for a mini-ute. The new Vue certainly looks no worse than a CRV or a Rav4. I'm not sure about the 70 mpg claims though. In fact, I'm pretty sure the press release projects a 45% increase over a standard engine for the dual mode hybrid. The dual mode is going to incorporate the v6, which gets 27 mpg. A 45% increase gives you about 40mpg.

Lest the import lauding, GM + Ford criticizing "enlightened ones" here forget, this is from a car that will generate over 240 horsepower, with utility and room for passengers to spare. We're not talking about a purpose built econobox designed in the wind tunnel specifically for increased mileage (read: Prius).