Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Owen's on for Anderson. I'm guessing he'll score deep into 'fergie time' :p

Edit: In other news, despite Blackpool pulling a goal back in the 96th minute, we've won 2-1 away from home. 2 for 2 under Irvine, next stop the play offs! ;)

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
I figured that out about him right after he battered John Arne Riise with a golf club....:rolleyes:

Still, if you really need to go after your team mate, hats off to the man who goes to fetch a golf club first. That's how to get the job done. None of this fighting on the training pitch nonsense! :D

Oh and he came on to a mate of mine in a nightclub once. She laughed at him as I recall.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Tevez and Given were out of this world tonight. If Citeh had a merely average keeper it would've been 3-2 United.

So let the bitters party like they've won the league. United only need a 1-0 win at OT to go through.

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
I noticed no one is complaining about the almost 6 minutes of extra time. If united scored, I know everyone would be. I'd like to see their average compared to other teams in the premier league. Maybe it's just me, but it's not uncommon now...

Either way, water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned. United are really lucky this year to be in second in the EPL. Out of the FA cup and now could find themselves out of the Carling cup if City put on a similar performance away from home. Hm

Tevez and Given were out of this world tonight. If Citeh had a merely average keeper it would've been 3-2 United.

That's a silly thing to say. That's basically saying "If ______ team had average strikers the score would be ___". Well no duh.

So maybe the score would have been 3 - 2 if United had average defenders. Maybe 3 - 2 if they had average midfield, 3-3 if United had an average keeper. Etc etc etc.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
So let the bitters party like they've won the league. United only need a 1-0 win at OT to go through.

I bet City will beat them - United, Liverpool and Arsenal are all pretty poor overall this year (though Arsenal are the best off of the three). Chelsea is the only one of the big clubs still looking pretty solid all round.

I think City are coming good at the right time now, they can make up a lot of ground on United and Arsenal.. I doubt they'll win the league (it's Chelsea's to lose), but I could see them finishing second if they can improve a bit.

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
London, England

No they don't, away goals count after extra time. So 1-0 might be enough but they'd have to play 120 minutes.

At least I think that's the rule. Hmm.

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings
Not again Micah!

Attachments

• -Micah_Sanders.jpg
    -Micah_Sanders.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 111

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Don't mean to imply that Given was playing over his head today. More like he's one of the best keepers in the league and probably the most consistently good keeper this season. His great saves were no accident and he was as much responsible for City's victory as Tevez and the ref. :D

5 minutes of injury time didn't seem unfair. Evra was down for a while and the citeh fans held on to a couple of balls that went in the stands for a very long time.

I've said before that there's more parity in the league than I can remember for a long time, mostly because the big four clubs are not nearly as strong as they once were. Chelsea's been the most consistent of the bunch, but they're still beatable.

Next week United should have Vidic and Ferdinand back. Hope they can stay healthy and find some good form at last.

And I'm still confused about the away goal rules in the Carling Cup. The BBC announcers for today's match also seemed to think a 1-0 result at OT would work. :confused:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Make that 2-1 down....not shocked, considering how many chances Bolton created in the last match - but I expect Arsenal to score again...the question is, will Bolton score again?

Liverpool are winning at the moment....I haven't gotten to say that in a while.

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
London, England
If you're not watching Villa Blackburn then you're missing out on fantastic entertainment. Appalling defending really but great stuff. Currently 5-3, there's more goals in it though.

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
Gareth Bale still to start on a winning Spurs team in the PL :eek:

After tonight's games I kind of wish I owned a television. Both Villa/Blackburn and Arsenal/Bolton sounded (and looked like, on minute-by-minute website updates) to be really entertaining :(

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
I saw Wenger interviewed a short while ago, he naturally didn't see the tackle but then got a bit irate with the interviewer when pressed further on the matter – snapping that perhaps they should put all the tackles from the two matches together and then compare them.

He looked rather cross, I can tell you. Cripes.

For what it's worth, Mark Davies left the Emirates on crutches and a scan will reveal if there's a break or ligament damage.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Nineteen goals in just three matches. Nineteen.:eek:

Finally can say well done to Liverpool. A win without Torres and Gerrard is something that is going to have to become more common if we hope to finish fourth. Not a classic performance by any means but we kept a clean sheet against a team who should have been able to challenge us, and Dirk Kuyt found the back of the net three times, and two of them counted! :D

As for Gallas's tackle...if an Arsenal player hacks down the opposition and Wenger didn't see it, did it actually happen? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.