2009 24" iMac yellowing display?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Greenlight711, Apr 30, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Jul 3, 2008
    I purchased a 24" iMac back in 2009, and though I've been happy with its performance thus far, I've noticed that perhaps the display has gotten "dirtier" with a yellow tint over time. I'm not sure if my eyes are just playing tricks on me, but I could swear that the brightest whites just aren't what they used to be.

Is there any way with a diagnostic test that I could confirm it? And what are my current options for treating it if the display has indeed gone awry over time? Will Apple honor my purchase with some kind of consolation service or will I have to bite the bullet and foot the bill?
  2. macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    Do you have the extended warranty? When did you purchase the iMac? If you have the extended warranty and it's still covered you should be able to get it fixed for free. If you don't, you'll have to pay out of pocket.
  3. macrumors 603

Apr 2, 2009
    Los Angeles Area
    If you think it's dirty you may wanna pull off the glass and do a bit of cleaning on it.
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 3, 2008
    I purchased it in 2009, and unfortunately I don't have the extended warranty. Has Apple not addressed the display as some sort of manufacturing defect? I thought I heard somewhere of them honoring a one time replacement.
  5. macrumors 68000

Aug 4, 2008
    I took my 24" in for repairs last week, and it had a yellowish tint on one of the sides. Fortunately the screen was under warranty, so I'll be getting it replaced. The screen itself was listed at a little over $400, but will be free with AppleCare.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Feb 27, 2012
    Chandler, Arizona
    I have the same iMac as you and the same symptoms. However as I understand it this is a natural consequence of the LCD displays of the time just wearing down. Starting with the late 2009 iMac, Apple switched to LED-backlit LCDs and the whites stay brighter and cleaner for longer (though we won't really know for a while yet, on a broad basis).

One of the downsides of owning an all-in-one, I guess. Can't just swap in a brand-new monitor.