2009 Honda Insight Hybrid (70 mpg). The Prius for the rest of us.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Prof., Dec 21, 2008.

1. macrumors 601

Prof.

Check it out HERE. If you ask me, it looks just like the Toyota Prius. It will be available in the US this coming spring. (2009)

Did I mention it gets almost 70mpg's?

2. macrumors Core

yes it looks like a Prius.

i'd much prefer a slightly redesigned effort of the previous Insight, or them to have continued it seeing that it gets even better mpg than the Prius:

[​IMG]

3. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Good for Honda... it will be good to have some direct Prius competition on the market.

4. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Were do you come up with 70 mpg? Meanwhile the big 3 U.S. automakers have nothing to compete in this segment. But it must be said here in South carolina gas is going for $1.45 - $1.55 a gallon! Yeah baby Yeah! My next car will be a Challenger with 25 mpg.:)

5. Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I've been checking this car out recently. Too bad it doesn't look as good as the concept version. The production model is going to be announced and displayed in Michigan in January.

I'm tempted to buy it but I have less than 1.5 years left to pay off my current car...

6. macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Only 2 doors, and virtually no back seat.

Not practical for me, and a lot of others, I would warrant.

7. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The previous Insight was a two door, two seater. The new Insight has five doors and five seats, per the link....

8. macrumors 68000

robanga

ummm look at the link, the new one has 4 doors

9. macrumors Core

the old version? yes, it was a 2 door. amazing little vehicle capable of easily making its estimated 70mpg. the new one is almost exactly like a prius. so i suppose better implemented for more people. although the past two cars i've owned are both 2 doors.

10. macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Whoops, and whoops. :eek:

I was looking at the posted picture.

11. macrumors G3

dmr727

I think it's better looking than the Prius. But it's still a weird back end. I'm not sure what it is about high MPG vehicles that make them all like that.

12. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

Don't get too comfy with the gas prices. They're expected to go back to $3.50 by summer of '09.

As for where i got the 70MPG figure... I read it in a news article. I'll try to find it. Hold on.

EDIT: HERE it is. It says it gets 68mpg highway. :) However, Honda said it gets 70mpg. :confused:

13. macrumors G3

dmr727

It's interesting that the city MPG is lower than the highway. Isn't it usually the reverse on hybrids?

14. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Aerodynamics?

15. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

HAHAHAHAHA it has a 73HP engine. Awww

maybe cuz when you're in the city, you accelerate/decelerate more. When you're on the highway, you're maintaining a certain speed. :confused:

16. macrumors Core

that is true for non hybrids. hybrids should be better for the stop and go traffic since they're designed (from what i know) to run off of the battery at lower speeds rather than relying on gasoline.

17. macrumors G3

dmr727

But it's not just the shape - it's the way the glass is used, and so on. I just can't believe it's *all* aerodynamically related. Perhaps it is, though.

18. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

That's how the prius works. When you are driving below 25 (or 15... i forgot which) you run on battery and not gas.

19. macrumors Core

i can't believe it is solely aerodynamics, if that was the case a LOT more cars would have a similar shape and style. no?

might be for recognition/association.

yes. so why would honda not do the same??

20. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

Maybe Honda came up with a better system? Maybe that's why it gets significantly better MPG than the Prius.

Prius MPG:
    48 miles per US gallon (4.9 L/100 km/58 mpg-imp) for city driving
    45 miles per US gallon (5.2 L/100 km/54 mpg-imp) for highway driving
    46 miles per US gallon (5.1 L/100 km/55 mpg-imp) combined

21. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I thought the article said the original insight approached 70mpg on a smaller platform than the new Insight.

22. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

Yes.

23. macrumors Core

yes it did. the figures for the new one remain in question imo, as the second article linked later in the thread seems to be more about the older platform than the new one.

i find it unlikely that a car of that size will be able to achieve those levels without a hyper-miler driving it.

24. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

IIRC the Insight and most of the early, at least, Hondas did not work this way. I don't know if they do now. The original Honda hybrid drivetrain ran on motor only or motor + electric boost. The fuel economy at stoplights, IIRC, was because it could also shut down the gasoline engine and restart it very quickly.

25. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The new 010 Prius has improved styling for sure over the 08, Gas though is still crashing and seems we went through the same thing once before. Gas had been way overpriced and everyone knows it. Still this is the future and the more of us who are economical with gas the less control the Opec nations have over the western world. :)