Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Check it out HERE. If you ask me, it looks just like the Toyota Prius. It will be available in the US this coming spring. (2009)

Did I mention it gets almost 70mpg's?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
yes it looks like a Prius.

i'd much prefer a slightly redesigned effort of the previous Insight, or them to have continued it seeing that it gets even better mpg than the Prius:

honda_insight.jpg

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Were do you come up with 70 mpg? Meanwhile the big 3 U.S. automakers have nothing to compete in this segment. But it must be said here in South carolina gas is going for $1.45 - $1.55 a gallon! Yeah baby Yeah! My next car will be a Challenger with 25 mpg.:)

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
I've been checking this car out recently. Too bad it doesn't look as good as the concept version. The production model is going to be announced and displayed in Michigan in January.

I'm tempted to buy it but I have less than 1.5 years left to pay off my current car...

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Only 2 doors, and virtually no back seat.

Not practical for me, and a lot of others, I would warrant.

the old version? yes, it was a 2 door. amazing little vehicle capable of easily making its estimated 70mpg. the new one is almost exactly like a prius. so i suppose better implemented for more people. although the past two cars i've owned are both 2 doors.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I think it's better looking than the Prius. But it's still a weird back end. I'm not sure what it is about high MPG vehicles that make them all like that.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Were do you come up with 70 mpg? Meanwhile the big 3 U.S. automakers have nothing to compete in this segment. But it must be said here in South carolina gas is going for $1.45 - $1.55 a gallon! Yeah baby Yeah! My next car will be a Challenger with 25 mpg.:)
Don't get too comfy with the gas prices. They're expected to go back to $3.50 by summer of '09.

As for where i got the 70MPG figure... I read it in a news article. I'll try to find it. Hold on.

EDIT: HERE it is. It says it gets 68mpg highway. :) However, Honda said it gets 70mpg. :confused:

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
It's interesting that the city MPG is lower than the highway. Isn't it usually the reverse on hybrids?

Prof.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
HAHAHAHAHA it has a 73HP engine. Awww

It's interesting that the city MPG is lower than the highway. Isn't is usually the reverse on hybrids?
maybe cuz when you're in the city, you accelerate/decelerate more. When you're on the highway, you're maintaining a certain speed. :confused:

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
HAHAHAHAHA it has a 73HP engine. Awww

maybe cuz when you're in the city, you accelerate/decelerate more. When you're on the highway, you're maintaining a certain speed. :confused:

that is true for non hybrids. hybrids should be better for the stop and go traffic since they're designed (from what i know) to run off of the battery at lower speeds rather than relying on gasoline.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
that is true for non hybrids. hybrids should be better for the stop and go traffic since they're designed (from what i know) to run off of the battery at lower speeds rather than relying on gasoline.
That's how the prius works. When you are driving below 25 (or 15... i forgot which) you run on battery and not gas.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
But it's not just the shape - it's the way the glass is used, and so on. I just can't believe it's *all* aerodynamically related. Perhaps it is, though.

i can't believe it is solely aerodynamics, if that was the case a LOT more cars would have a similar shape and style. no?

might be for recognition/association.

That's how the prius works. When you are driving below 25 (or 15... i forgot which) you run on battery and not gas.

yes. so why would honda not do the same??

Prof.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Maybe Honda came up with a better system? Maybe that's why it gets significantly better MPG than the Prius.

Prius MPG:
48 miles per US gallon (4.9 L/100 km/58 mpg-imp) for city driving
45 miles per US gallon (5.2 L/100 km/54 mpg-imp) for highway driving
46 miles per US gallon (5.1 L/100 km/55 mpg-imp) combined

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
I thought the article said the original insight approached 70mpg on a smaller platform than the new Insight.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
I thought the article said the original insight approached 70mpg on a smaller platform than the new Insight.
Yes.

It’s important to remember that the first Insight was designed with a simple but revolutionary goal in mind: push the mpg limits of a subcompact 2-seater as far as possible, and it did. To this day, it’s the most fuel-efficient mass-produced hybrid ever. This was accomplished with fundamentally similar technology to the new Insight, but with a smaller platform. Almost universally speaking, smaller cars are lighter, and less weight equates to better fuel efficiency.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004

yes it did. the figures for the new one remain in question imo, as the second article linked later in the thread seems to be more about the older platform than the new one.

i find it unlikely that a car of that size will be able to achieve those levels without a hyper-miler driving it.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA

IIRC the Insight and most of the early, at least, Hondas did not work this way. I don't know if they do now. The original Honda hybrid drivetrain ran on motor only or motor + electric boost. The fuel economy at stoplights, IIRC, was because it could also shut down the gasoline engine and restart it very quickly.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
The new 010 Prius has improved styling for sure over the 08, Gas though is still crashing and seems we went through the same thing once before. Gas had been way overpriced and everyone knows it. Still this is the future and the more of us who are economical with gas the less control the Opec nations have over the western world. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.