200GB SATA Notebook harddrives

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by craigatkinson, Oct 24, 2006.

1. craigatkinson macrumors regular

craigatkinson

I would really like to upgrade my MBP to a 200GB harddrive, but I have no idea where to get one. I've looked on newegg and elsewhere and I can't find them. I found one on ebay, but I'd like to buy from a retailer. Where can I get one?

2. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

3. ddekker macrumors regular

200 gig

never saw any mention of one until the apple announcement... means they will be out soon retail..

D

4. craigatkinson thread starter macrumors regular

craigatkinson

No, I'm quite sure they have been out for a few months now. In May I was reading articles that indicated that the 200 GB harddrives would be released within a couple months after May; so July or August. And the harddrive I saw on ebay only confirms this belief.

5. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

I've been looking, but the new MBP is the only place I have seen it.

Be aware: they are 4200RPM, which is unforgivingly slow these days. Huge size, but with a 5 minute boot time...

6. Butthead macrumors 6502

Butthead

all ive discovered is that toshiba makes a 200gb 4200rpm drive and i know seagate doesn't and samsung doenst' appear to, and maxtor doesnt' , so toshiba is the manufacturer....just find a toshiba dealer who sells toshiba drives

edit: lol..someone beat me to the punch

8. craigatkinson thread starter macrumors regular

craigatkinson

There are three on ebay.

9. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

I don't look on ebay because I don't buy on ebay. Also, you asked about retailers...

10. craigatkinson thread starter macrumors regular

craigatkinson

Yes I did. My only reason for mentioning the one's on ebay was to demonstrate their existence.

11. jtown macrumors 6502

If you think every item listed on ebay actually exists, I've got some PlayStation 3s you may be interested in. :)

Not saying the 200 gig drives don't exist. Just that ebay is not an authoritative confirmation of a thing's existance.

12. Garvo macrumors newbie

Speaking of Hard drives

I'm about to purchase a 17MBP, but I'm in a quandry as to which hard drive to get.

Anyone have any real-world examples of the difference in performance?

Sure, who wouldn't want 200GB of storage, but a 5min boot up is unacceptable.

Is there enough of a speed difference between the 7200 & 5400 drives to warrant the loss of space?

This will be my first Mac, and I'm getting it to incorporate FCP into an already established PC video workflow.

Any advice is appreciated.

13. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

remember that the 200GB one is 4200

14. Garden Knowm macrumors 6502

who is the authority?

:D

15. craigatkinson thread starter macrumors regular

craigatkinson

Yes, it is 4200 rpms, but they have a new technology they run off of that causes them to run faster at slower rpm's. So the harddrive is actually must faster than the rpm's make it out to be. With the 5400 rpm drive that has the same techonology I heard that it runs just as fast as the 7200 rpm harddrive that doesn't have the new techonology. If I remember correctly I think they call them perpendicular drives, but I'm not sure about that.