2010 Macbook air Design

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by andygabriel, Dec 9, 2009.

1. macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

i decided to start this thread because i'm thinking of buying a macbook air in the future. I think it's a wonderful machine and i'd like it to be my main machine since i only do basic stuff(Browsing, email, Ms Office, iLife suite, Watch movies, Itunes). So, i'm expecting 4GB RAM and bigger SSD!

Do you guys think Apple will redesign the Air in 2010. Many people complain about the lack of USB port. Why doesn't apple put another USB port on the other side of the AIR. You know how in the Air there's the little door(port hatch) that open for the USB, phone jacks, mini display). Why don't they put another one on the left handside? I think it's feasible.

What do you think will happen to the macbook Air in 2010? Any major upgrade(Design or Specs).

Attached Files:

• mac3.jpg
      mac3.jpg
      File size:
      44.1 KB
      Views:
  2. macrumors regular

4 Gig of ram and a Bigger SSD is expected and if not more capacity cheaper price or standard in all air trims. Interesting note about an extra door if the power port was included in a door you could easily get another USB or say firewire or even SD card slot in it for the same space as the current door only on the other side.

Although personally I tend to think the air, in its current form and what it actually was designed for, is history.
    Don't ask my all the details just understand, I have multiple theories. I can argue with my self.
    I think now the MBPro 13" and 15" will be Air's and the MBP 17 will still have the Optical drive and look essentially the same. The switch to arrandale (I think its arrandale thats the next gen from intel right?wrong?) may need the extra space so getting rid of the Optical in the 15" and putting the 13" air in the pro line would be something apple would do. I really do think apple will put the 13 out in carbon fiber and go to a black look. Think about it Announce AC/DC on iTunes and then the new 13" MBP Air "Back IN Black".

Most have said that the if you want to know the future of apple notebook design look at the air.

I for one would love a 15" air. Just not as an Ultra portable, but as a lighter more manageable 15" Pro.
    I have always said that the 15" notebooks are the best overall when it comes to specs display usability over all a good trade off both ways.

OH and dude its 1:00AM O'Dark 30 go to bed.

3. macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I know it's just a mockup, but the way that picture is structured is just not feasible. By that I mean... are the ports supposed to just disappear into nonexistent space when you close that flip-down part? There's no space for it to close if you actually look at it for a second. ;)

:D

4. macrumors 604

chrono1081

I want to see a black bezel so it matches my MBP and ACD :D

I used to think the black was hideous until I saw it in person. Now silver looks ancient to me.

5. macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I really hope that they do not create it with the black bezel! And please, no glassy screen, glossy is bad enough...

Other than those, another USB port would be very nice, as well as a FireWire port. A longer battery life would be very handy as well.

6. macrumors member

My wish list:

More memory
    Tighter hinges
    Bigger SSD (although 128 GB is pretty liveable)
    Longer battery life
    SD slot
    FW or second USB

7. macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I am 90% certain we WILL see a new design with the next update to the MBA.

I don't know what Apple will do with the graphics, but that is by far my biggest concern. Apple has lost out on the Nvidia chipset/GPU design with the Intel v. Nvidia dispute; now Nvidia is done building chipsets which is a huge loss for Mac buyers. If Apple only includes an Intel's integrated chipset, the MBA will take a gigantic leap backwards in capabilities. At the same time, I don't know that Apple would include a dedicated graphics card with the MBA? It's definitely a problem, and the problem is magnified by a thinner and lighter weight MBA.

I believe we will see one other major change... something new and innovative not found in other Mac notebooks. I cannot even speculate...

I don't expect nor want any additional ports. I would prefer the USB be updated to 3.0. I don't want an SD slot and a hole in my MBA. Extra ports are of no value to me and just ruin the design of the MBA. I think the most sought after improvement is the boost to 4 GB RAM. I don't believe that 256 GB of SSD drive space is necessary, and I don't know if we will see that update.

I doubt a carbon fiber shell will find its way due to space/heat sink capabilities of aluminum. I vote no to a shiny black bezel and no to glass no matter how lightweight they make it.

I would still recommend people buy the current MBA if they want an MBA. With its current price point, it's a no lose situation. For Apple to truly upgrade the components, there is no way it can drop the pricing. I doubt we see lower prices and expect higher prices for a high end model MBA. Right now, the MBA is the best buy it has ever been. With pricing from $1349/$1549 refurbished with SSD, it's exceptional. It's one heck of a Mac, while being super thin, lightweight, and perfect whether traveling or at the desk plugged into a 24" ACD.

Good luck.

8. macrumors 65816

scottness

I'd like to see FW added. Probably won't happen though. :(

9. macrumors 65816

Santabean2000

Absolutely. MBA is not for heavy hitters, but many folk like to have a lot of apps open at once. Nothing worse than having to start closing /reopening apps just to free up RAM.

I bought a 13" MBP (referb, 2.26GHz 2GB RAM) as a cheaper 'tie-me-over' machine until the new MBA arrives. Definitely know now that that was the right call.

Was tempted to get current top end MBA, but pleased I didn't drop a lot of cash on it as I now know (as much as I love the design/weight) that it's just not capable enough of being a suitable machine for work. I need 4GB RAM!!

10. thread starter macrumors regular

This picture is not a mock up. It's the actual Macbook air door. I put that this picture to show that Apple could put another door on the other side therefore giving us more ports.

I'm also wondering if anyone uses the Air as their main machine. As i stated i only use the Air for basic things( Browsing, iLife, Email, Itunes). I have a white macbook 2.4Ghz 4GB ram 320HD(early 2008 model). And my macbook is fast enough for all my needs. But i'd like an AIR because it's lighter and more portable than my Macbook. I also rarely use the optical drive. So this is not an issue for me. The reason i don't wanna get a AIR at the moment is RAM and the 128 GB since i need space for pictures and music and i like my most of my media with me all the time. A 256GB SSD would be enough for me as well as 4GB of Ram since i use Parallel and Boot camp for Windows.

11. macrumors 6502

I know Scottsdale uses his Rev. C with a Runcore SSD as his primary machine. I am currently using my Rev. B with stock SSD as my primary machine, so it can be done. I would love 4gb of ram just so my VMs wouldn't be so slow. I tried a 13" MBP 2.53 SSD for a couple weeks and sure, it was screaming fast, but I definitely like the weight of the MBA better.

12. macrumors 6502

I'm wishing the same. I'm holding off for a "rev D" in hopes of seeing some of these upgrades.

I also would love to see an increased resolution screen.. although i highly doubt we'll see that.

13. macrumors 65816

MultiFinder17

I'm not sure why people keep saying that the Air will be redesigned in the next revision. Most of the reasoning seems to be saying that the design is getting old now. Lets take a look back through history, shall we?

PowerBook G3 case: March 1998 - January 2001
    Titanium PowerBook G4 case: January 2001 - September 2003
    Aluminum PowerBook G4 case: January 2003 - January 2009
    Unibody MacBook Family case: January 2008 - ?

Really people, it's been just under two years for the Air, and just over a year for the rest of the line. Apple tends to pick a design they like and stick with it for several years. The PowerBook G3 design lasted 22 months, The TiBook stuck around for 32 months, the AlBooks were with us for 72 months, so they have been sticking with their designs for longer and longer periods of time. Personally, I like the current design of the Air. The only real upgrade that I would like to see, beyond the normal speed bumps, would be a bump up to 4gigs of RAM.

Apple's designs for their laptops are all about simplifying the look of it. If you look at, say, the evolution of the 15" Apple laptop since 2001, you will see that it is all about making the machine look simpler, more refined, and just boiling the outer look down to its absolute basics.

For those of you picking apart my dates and noting how the start and end times don't match up, don't forget that Apple has made a habit of introducing new designs bit by bit. The 15" Titanium PowerBook stuck around until the 15" AlBook in september 2003. The first Unibody was the Air in Jan. 2008, followed by the 13" MB and 15" MBP in October. The 17" MBP didn't go Unibody until January of this year.

14. thread starter macrumors regular

I should say that i want an AIR as main and only machine. Do you think it'll be fine for basic usage? I would sell my white macbook. I guess the Top REV C With SSD is faster than my 2008 white macbook 2.4ghz , 4gb ram. True or false.

15. macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Double the battery life make it more robust all over and finally make it run cooler to the touch.
    Thats my wish list.
    Price and performance are fine as is the size of the SSD though of course bigger is better, however it needs to run very cool and for a very long time to hit its market right.

16. macrumors 6502a

Me too. I'm expecting a design update as well since Apple really has to bring it up to par, designwise, with the excellent aluminum unibodies. They are the MBA's biggest competitor.

I would sacrifice stuff like processor speed, hard drive space, ports and optical drive for a MBA, but I dont wanna take a step back on build quality, glass trackpad and convenience matters like how hot it runs in my lap or how noisy the fans get.

Maybe we'll see a new MBA design with optional OLED in 2010.

17. macrumors regular

Barbie

well firstly the MacBook Air needs to me much thinner :D

I mean come on, 0.16 inches? thats the new size 14

but really: glass trackpad; a better looking, completely aluminum hinge; and better iSight resolution.

18. macrumors 68000

hitekalex

Yes, Rev-C/SSD is fine as the main machine.. as long as you don't do advanced graphic design or HD video creation.

I don't know if it will be "faster" than your 2.4Ghz MB, but it will certainly feel faster for certain tasks, like app opens.

19. macrumors 6502

Honestly, the only thing I "have" to have is the 4GB of RAM. 2nd USB port, larger SSD, increased battery life, and the plethora of other things that have been listed would certainly be nice, but the 4GB is a requirement for me. Especially considering im moving from a 17" uMBP to an Air :)

20. macrumors 6502a

Wow. That's some move you're making there!

I was the opposite. Wanted the air, then played with all the machines and feel like buying the 17".

At any case, i'll be waiting for the next revision, it seems to be coming any minute now.

21. macrumors 6502a

Jayomat

more battery life (although it could only be achieved by more power efficient hardware (CPU, HDD, screen...) or a redesigned interior (more space -> bigger battery) the battery life for the MBPs only expanded because they removed the option to "easily remove the battery"), +1 USB port, 4GB RAM and im settled ;)

22. macrumors 6502a

I used a RevA 1.6/2/80 for about a year as my primary machine and while it was not as fast as the MBP I came from, my only real complaint was the limited HD size.

From my Rev A I went to a uMB 2.4/4/320 and while it was not near as enjoyable as the Air it had plenty of speed and capacity. I was hoping for quite a while for Apple to release a MBA 2.x/4/256, I finally caved in last week and got a RevC 2.13/2/128.

Yes, the RevC generally feels much faster than my 2.4ghz uMB in most everyday tasks. If you do things that require heavy sustained cpu or graphics use, its clear the MBA slows things down to reduce heat and at that point is clearly slower than the uMB. Fortunately for me that seldom happens to me.

I'm very pleased with my RevC and think it could be an only machine for me. So far the only accommodations I've had to make are switching from Carbonite to Mozy for online backups (Carbonite keeps the cpu and fans spinning too high), and optimizing my Virtual machines and limiting their use to one at a time, and of limited duration. In my case this is not too big a deal.

23. nph
    macrumors 6502a

I just came from the Apple store and after watching the new white macbook with the same screen as the MBA I dont see a big change in the MBA design.
    Possibly a 4G RAM but that is about it and maybe some bigger drive.
    HOwever I do agree with Jennifer above, I only have two issues with my rev B the battery life and the heat that gets going as soon as I start anything remotely intensive.

However I was impressed the other day when I ran Parallel 5 and a Windows Vista VM. It was not much than running it on my current pc!

24. macrumors 601

Scottsdale

While I don't believe the MBA will stay in its same form factor with its next update, I sure hope you're right. The current design is absolutely perfect in my opinion. I don't want any changes other than maybe a slightly larger display in the same footprint. Or a slightly smaller footprint wasting less space around the display and keyboard. But its probably cheaper to just keep it the same, and update the components. And Apple seems to be focusing far less on Macs.

The problem is that Steve Jobs is king of thin and lightweight, and the MBA just doesn't compete now. There are many thin and lightweight PCs that I believe will push Apple to change the design to thinner. I just hope that if we get thinner and less weight, it still keeps the performance characteristics the current MBA has of being primary Mac capable. Let's just hope Steve is busy with his iTablet and doesn't do any design modifications to the MBA.

I agree that Apple keeps designs for a longer time, BUT Apple also usually has the thinnest and lightest weight notebooks. Think how the MBP really competes well, and the MB has competed well for years. Apple's whole marketing of the MBA was/is that it fits in an envelop and was the thinnest and lightest notebook ever, and no other notebook was able to do that. The biggest problem is how lightweight Sony has its competitor and how thin Dell has its competitor. Apple is directly competing with those two, and Apple has lost both battles. Apple is also competing against MSI's great thin and lightweight ultraportables. Asus has the UL30vt. HP has the Envy that is more powerful and has many innovative features. Dell also competes with its Vostro v13 that is an ultraportable with Windows 7 for only $450!

Did anyone ever expect a thinner notebook than the MBA? I didn't, not by competitors. Now there are many notebooks thinner and less weight than the MBA. There are more powerful notebooks at half the price with the same weight and just as thin. There are lightweight notebooks that weigh half as much. There are thinner notebooks that are half as thin.

I just believe Apple still wants to have the best ultraportable... and all around Apple likes to win thin and lightweight. The MBA wins at nothing except OS X and even that's debatable with Windows 7. There are thinner notebooks. There are notebooks that weigh less than half as much. There are notebooks that are the same size that have more RAM, more drive space, and more battery life.

How does Apple win??? A newly designed MBA.

25. macrumors newbie

MBA only

my humble thoughts...

I have used the MBA rev b (albeit not with the ssd) as primary machine. I found it a bit clunky with a number of apps open, but worse than that, the fan would spin at 7000 and sound like a jet taking off. Prior to that I was on a black macbook and subsequently I have switched to a MB 13 unibody and now MBP 13.

Little things like the ethernet dongle (ended up owning 3 after forgetting on biz trips), the fact that high end ear buds (shure 530) need a 'dongle' as well are acceptable for the type of hardware we are looking at. But the lower than advertised batter life and the jet engine made it unusable full time.

And having said all this, I am dying to get a new one as I love the size/wt for travel.