Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 7, 2010
My power adapter(L style magsafe) is giving me intermittent charging, I think wear and tear have taken their toll.

A new one from Apple costs an absurd $80, so I was looking into either repairing or buying another one from a different vendor.

Would this ebay one be suitable to use even though it says its for the MBP? This is 60w and the MBA is 45W, would it still work just as the lower wattage level?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-App...=Laptop_Adapters_Chargers&hash=item27d1c85024

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
My power adapter(L style magsafe) is giving me intermittent charging, I think wear and tear have taken their toll.

A new one from Apple costs an absurd $80, so I was looking into either repairing or buying another one from a different vendor.

I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery or adapter, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoffs". Apple has not licensed its MagSafe technology to any other firm, so it is doubtful that any third-party adapters are fully compatible with Apple's charging technology. I wouldn't try a knockoff adapter, simply to save a few bucks at the potential of risking a $2000 notebook. If the adapter is a genuine MagSafe adapter, it won't hurt to use a higher wattage adapter on your MacBook air.
Power adapters for Intel-based Apple notebooks are available in 45W, 60W, and 85W varieties. Although you should always use the proper wattage adapter for your Apple notebook, you can use an adapter of a higher wattage without issue.
The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
It looks like the eBay listing is for used but in working condition Apple Magsafe adapters. Purely assuming that this is the case, AND that the adapters are in fact genuine Apple products and are working well, then the 60W adapter will be fine. The MacBook Air will only take the current/wattage it needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.