2011 Apple Design Award Winners Announced

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 8, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple last night held its annual Apple Design Awards ceremony at WWDC, recognizing twelve applications for excellence in design and innovation across four categories: Student, iPhone, iPad, and Mac. All eligible applications were required to be available via either the iOS or Mac App Store.

This year's winners come from a range of genres, from games to news to books to music and beyond. In terms of price, the winners range from the free Pulse News Reader for iOS to the $49.99 Capo for OS X.

[​IMG]

Student
    - Grades 2
    - Pennant
    - Pulse News Reader

iPhone
    - Cut the Rope
    - Golfscape GPS Rangefinder
    - Infinity Blade

iPad
    - Osmos for iPad
    - Our Choice
    - djay

Mac
    - Capo
    - Pixelmator
    - Anomaly Warzone Earth

As part of a focus on iOS at last year's conference, Apple did not include Mac applications in the Apple Design Awards competition. But with OS X Lion playing a prominent role in this year's event and the Mac App Store gaining momentum, Mac applications returned to the ballot this year.

Article Link: 2011 Apple Design Award Winners Announced

2. macrumors regular

Cut the rope ... Feel as given, seeing as it was the most dominate App in the keynote

3. macrumors 601

macduke

Infinity Blade on iPad 2 is just insanely good looking and fun. This announcement will only boost the $10 million the devs have made so far.

I'm glad to see the Mac Apps are back. Probably because of the Mac App Store. Are all of these apps available on the store only?

4. macrumors 65816

kirky29

Just bought the Anomaly Warzone Earth app, looks good!

5. Guest

Sky Blue

You couldn't link to the actual store? Thanks guys :rolleyes:

6. macrumors 6502

mozmac

This might be a stupid question, but is the "Student" category for developers who are students? Or are they apps that focus on students?

7. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah, I just learned that the 'appshopper' site is blocked by my firewall at work.

Maybe it's a promotional deal MR has with appshopper?

8. macrumors newbie

I agree that Osmos for iPad is a winner, its beautiful and addictive. Its not just some easy game to pass time, it a great buy. I've been playing it for a few weeks and have beat almost all of it, but very fun to play.
    Highly recommend it.

9. macrumors G4

Small White Car

I heard about plenty of praise for it from the design community a few weeks back. This didn't come out of nowhere.

10. macrumors 65816

munkees

Hmm I see Al Gores position (had or have) has benefits. my hand it off to Al Gore, he surely knows how to milk this world in danger for $$$$.

Though the App does is very good, very interactive and some what intriguing.

11. macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I thought Arn owned MR and appshopper.com? I thought that's why the links went to appshopper.com instead of iTunes. Could be wrong.

12. macrumors 6502

Interesting. Appshopper is fine at my place of work but the itunes store is blocked.

13. macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Exactly what I was thinking. As a developer who makes applications almost explicitly for students/education, I'm kinda insulted that two of the three have no business being in the "Student" category.

If you're going by the numbers, I'd bet that the "Student" category should be all games.

14. macrumors 6502a

100% of Al Gore's earnings from "Our Choice" go to charity...

15. macrumors 65816

munkees

That makes me fell better. I will say the App is awesome, very interactive, and well put together.

16. macrumors newbie

The beginning of the end of OS X

Pretty soon it will be impossible to load software onto your Mac that doesn't arrive via the App Store. Steve's dreams of making the Mac a closed ecosystem are almost complete. Nothing that isn't controlled by Apple will be allowed to exist on your Mac. In order to maintain control of your Mac you will need to jailbreak it, like an iPhone.

17. macrumors 603

notjustjay

$20 for a spotting scope app seems excessive.

18. macrumors 6502a

igazza

IMO, this is a good thing. :D

19. macrumors 6502

I believe the category is for apps created by students.

20. macrumors 65816

Capo looks pretty sweet!

21. macrumors 68020

I'm going to make probably the most fanboy-ish comment I ever have.

My entire goal as a developer isn't money or fame or notoriety...it is to win one of these. That is the pinnacle of achievement for me personally, and what drives me to develop iOS and Mac applications.

Lame, I know.

22. macrumors newbie

Some people like mommy to chew their food for them too.

23. macrumors 6502

I just bought Anomaly Warzone Earth, but I wish I didn't. The gameplay is incredibly slow and tedious.

I wish I could afford to spend the money on Capo, though. That looks awesome.

24. macrumors member

You are very special. :rolleyes:

25. macrumors 603

notjustjay

Is there a free trial or demo? This is the sort of app that looks like it could well be worth $50, but I wouldn't want to blow that kind of money until I knew for sure it was what I wanted.