Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sc25893

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
Hi everyone,

After installing windows on 2 laptops and messing about with linux on a 3rd, I have concluded that it is a total pita and I want my mac back! I have literally got nothing done for the past 2 weeks.

So, here we go again, the options this time are as follows:

Mac mini 2011 server i7 2.0GHz
240GB SSD
500GB 7200rpm HDD
16GB RAM
HD3000

Price, about £700.00 all in

or

Mac mini 2012 i7 2.6GHz (with possible display issues!)
240GB SSD
16GB RAM
HD4000

Price, about £882.00 all in

After deciding to buy a macbook, I have re-evaluated and decided that a desktop better suits my needs. Now I am painfully aware of the display issues on the mac mini 2012 that they are still trying to fix. Apparently 10.8.3 fixes the washed out colours, but not so sure about the blinking screen. I use MDP > DVI so I don't touch the HDMI anyway so this may not be a problem for me, although you'd like to think after spending this amount of money, it would work out the box!

If someone has experience with the 2.6GHz 2012 one running with firmware update and using MDP > DVI, that would be very helpful as I would just get a new one from the apple store if there are no problems (this probably can't be guaranteed). 'If it works' shouldn't even be an option, but after the problems with the 2012 minis, annoyingly this now has to be a consideration.

Anyway, thanks for any input for the above choice.

Sam.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
i say SSD is the way to go. Its time to retire HD's. If you buy that one you'll probably just want to upgrade to SSD anyway.

Have you checked their refurb section. I think they currently have a server available. You might save even more

sc25893

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
Hi,

The prices include everything in the list.

So one is quite a bit cheaper than the other, both have SSD.

My only concern is the 2012 display problems. I use MDP > DVI so not sure if it affects that. I read that 10.8.3 fixes the washed out colours, however, is the blinking screen gone?

Sam.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
I would go for the 2012. You can also install a second hard drive in it so the server verion has little benefit.

sc25893

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
I would go for the 2012. You can also install a second hard drive in it so the server verion has little benefit.

I installed an SSD alongside the HDD in my 2011 i5 mini. It was pretty sweet!

I will actually just swap the HDD for a SSD this time therefore taking away the need to take the whole thing apart. That was a nervous time.

I still don't know about the blinking screen issues though. It will be no good if I buy the 2012 one and then find out all these issues are still going on. As I said, I use MDP>DVI so not sure if that is affected. Awaiting response too on the apple support site to see if other people use this setup with good results.

I am also considering a 21.5" iMac, they go for about the same price on ebay as a new 2012 mini.

Sam.

sc25893

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
I'm using MDP to DVI in my 2012 mini. Never had an issue.

Sounds good. I don't think I have much choice really, can't go back to windows/linux route! iMac seems to have loads of issues, yellow screen (!!), fan control on hard drive upgrade, dust between glass and lcd, things that could potentially be a real downer.

The mini is great for customization and power, HD4000 really lets it down though. 2012 mini, with firmware fix and 10.8.3 update seem to be the best option for me. All options seem to have too much fingers crossed though for my liking!

Sam.

iamsen47

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
Kobe, Japan
I've only used the HDMI once, on a Sharp TV (not sure if HD) in a hotel in Tokyo where I bought the Mini while on a business trip. The white and blueish-grey used in this forum were indistinguisable from each other and the text was badly pixelated.

I chalked it up more to the fact that I was using a TV rather than because of any bugs. It was only a short stay and I was busy so I was couldn't really be arsed to fix it.

Since I've been home, I've used the HDMI connected to a standard hdmi->dvi adaptor that Dell provides, and also the HDMI->DVI adaptor provided by Apple and haven't had any problems.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
I use my 2.3GHz 2012 Mini with an NEC display connected via the Thunderbolt port using a Display Port to Mini Display Port adapter; it works just fine.

My 2006 iMac will be my last... The lack of any ergonomic adjustments and the glassy display are deal-killers for me. I almost returned the iMac because I developed terrible neck pain because I could not lower the display. I finally came up with a workaround that wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg but it was silly that I had to do so because the iMac was poorly designed to begin with...

sc25893

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
Lol, I just bought an early 2011 macbook pro for £620.

All the power of the HD3000! What's the betting I'll be back on a desktop before the end of the year? I know what I'm like!

Sam.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.