2011 Macbook pro charger not working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by m117, Jan 24, 2012.

1. m117, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012

macrumors newbie

Nov 10, 2011
    hey all,
    TOday i went to plug in my early 2011 macbook pro 13", and the charger seems to not be working.
    i plug it in the wall, and the charger into the port, but the light doesnt go on, and it doesnt say that it is charging (ill go out on a limb and assume it isnt charging :p)
    i was able to use a friends charger to charge it, but i am worried.
    i have tried it in many different wall sockets, so thats not the problem

so what is wrong?
    do i need a new charger or is it something i can fix?
    how much does a new charger cost?

thanks a ton
    -- m117
  2. macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    See the link for troubleshooting MagSafe adapters in the CHARGING section of the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
  3. macrumors 65816

Jun 17, 2009
    Redford, MI
    If it's actually a problem with the charger, as long as your MBP is under warranty you should be able to get it replaced. Go to an Apple store and have them take a look at it.
  4. macrumors 603

Oct 31, 2010
    Hamilton, Ontario
    chargers should be covered under the warranty
  5. macrumors 6502a

Nov 9, 2009
    Go to your local Apple Store and get the charger replace
  6. macrumors 603

Jun 30, 2008
    Make sure it's not plugged into the usb port, that magnet can be problematic when plugging in blind :)
  7. macrumors Core

Feb 9, 2008
    San Jose (CA)
    Try to perform an SMC reset, if that doesn't fix it, and your friend's adapter works, I think it's safe to assume you need a new power adapter. If your computer is in warranty, you can get it replaced for free. Even if it's out of warranty, you may get a more lenient Genius who will replace it for free out of warranty.

Except the magnet is on the computer, not on the adapter-side ;)
  8. macrumors 603

Jun 30, 2008
    Well, something's sticking there, both my 2006 Rev 1.1 and my new 2011 i7 do it :)
  9. macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    The plug gets somewhat magnetized after being plugged in so long, but the magnet is in the MBP, not the adapter plug.