Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZolakJHS

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wake Forest, NC
Hi, Having a problem with my wife's Macbook Pro I am hoping someone can assist with.
Its the late 2011 13 inch macbook pro, stock base model (4GB RAM).
When the lid is closed and then opened (while plugged in), it comes awake really slow. First the screen comes on with the screensaver showing, but not moving at all.
After 10-15 seconds of that the screen shows up with whatever programs she left up launched, but everything is basically unresponsive for 1-2 minutes. This wasn't always happening, but its been happening for "a while" (but under both Lion and Mountain Lion I believe).
Have tried rebooting, making sure software is up to date, etc, but nothing simple seems to fix the issue, has anyone else run into this or know how to fix?
After the few minutes go by it works fine, other than sometimes it doesn't pick up the wifi network (shows connected but won't get to internet) and we have to reboot as well.

realizment

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Hey im having a very similar issue. Mine is an early 2011 model. 8GB ram, 2.3Ghz intel core I7. OSX 10.8.2 - This happens when i leave my screen open mostly and it goes to screensaver/sleep. I then press a button it takes minutes to start working properly the odd time it never did i needed to restart and all i ever have open is firefox and mail or just firefox alone.. I may expect this if say i had a bunch of heavy cpu eating programs but i dont.

Anyone find a solution to this?

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
Shouldn't do this with an HDD either, though a hybrid or SSD will significantly improve the sleep/wake speeds.

Try resetting the SMC. That usually solves sleep/wake issues for me. You also may want to kill the sleepimage file and reset the timing on the deep sleep mode where it writes to the sleepimage. Startpage it for directions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.