2011 MB Air screen smudges

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by podiki, Nov 26, 2012.

1. podiki, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012

macrumors member

Sep 8, 2008
    I'm starting to notice I have a lot of smudges coming from the keys on the screen of my 2011 13" MacBook Air. Is this a common thing on these laptops? Or have I just dropped it once too often? :)
  2. macrumors Core

Jan 23, 2005
    Common problem even on a new, virgin machine. My 2012 MBA does this also.
  3. macrumors 601

Aug 27, 2012
    Do you use a keyboard membrane?

I was going to, then my concern for smudges stopped me doing so. Mine happens to be perfect naked, no smudges unless caused my eat&surf sessions. :)

Try cleaning keyboard often see if it helps. Every a couple of days wipe kbd with damp, BUT NOT WET! clean cloth.
  4. macrumors 6502

Jun 26, 2012
    Virginia, USA
    Have keyboard membrane on 15" MBP as well as 13" and 11" MBAs. No imprinting/smudging on the screens ever.
  5. thread starter macrumors member

Sep 8, 2008
    I find it a bit silly that I would need to use a membrane. I've had many laptops and my most expensive one is designed in away that I can't close the lid without the screen getting dirty. Pity...

Oh well, I'm going to trade in this 13" Air for a 2012 Air with 8GB. Still the best laptop I ever had. ;)
  6. macrumors 6502a

Apr 5, 2010
    One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
    I recommend taking a cotton cloth, such as a washcloth or microfiber, and dampening it with water. Not dripping, just damp. Then open your hinge fully, and gently wipe down the display.

No more smudges :)

Works for me :D