Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mada88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2011
Hello,

I'm set on getting a MBA but I'm unsure if it would be wise buying now or waiting for the 2012 MBA. Will Ivy Bridge be a leap forward in speed compared to the Sandy Bridge? It will be intriguing to see if Apple up the ram as well and include a USB 3.0 port.

Advice is much appreciated.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
You'll always be chasing the latest and greatest - if you want a MBA now, get one and sell it for a little bit less than what you paid when you got it when the newer model comes out. Macs in general appear to maintain their value really well from my experience.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Next model will have better CPU, Graphics. Also expect USB 3. Thunderbolt is just too premature and its adoption is unclear.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
From my research it appears we are most likely not going to see Ivy Bridge in an Apple laptop until about march-April of next year. However it is most likely going to be in the MacBook Pro first. Apple likes to stagger the release of their products that have crossover appeal; I.e. The mbp and MBA. For that reason it may be until next may-June until you see a MBA with Ivy. I'm sure apple doesn't like the spread they have right now until Ivy ships, but some things you can't control.

As others have said, buy now if your in need of a machine, and plan on selling for a minor loss. Apple products hold value very well. If youre planning on waiting, plan on much anxious time until then. I can sympathize as I am waiting on a mbp refresh (pre-ivy bridge). At least the MBA is more up to date than it's 13" mbp cousin.

In regards to USB 3.0, it's quite possible it will be included since INTEL will directly be supporting it on ivy bridge. In this regard it will make apple look really stupid if they intentionally leave it out. Thunderbolt is obviously better, but who doesn't love more I/o options.

BadaBing!!

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2010
2011 is pretty great and offers great performance.
If you need it now, why wait ? If you don't need it now, why buy ?

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
I could have easily lived with the the current MBA13i7-1.8-256 if it wasn't for the 4gb ram limit. I ran into that wall several times and FCPX would crash after just 2-3 seconds. Not a machine for full time editing but it would have been nice to have the option.

Returned it.

FCPX running fairly well on a MBP13i7 with 8gb ram.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Next model will have better CPU, Graphics.

This quote will be equally true immediately after the next model comes out.

It's technology, there is ALWAYS something better coming out. MBAs will always be better with each release, and any piece of apple tech will be too. The key is to buy what you need when you need it.

A computer, unlike a fine, wine doesn't get better with age so if you don't need it now don't buy it now.

You can also try this: set a bar for what you want and at what price and only buy it when it occurs. Example: I want an MBA (or equivalent) with 10 hours of battery, 8Gb RAM, and 512Gb HD for $1299 or less. Sooner or later, technology will catch up to your requirements then you can buy. (could be a long wait depending on what you want though).

nebulos

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
the 2053 MBA will make these kinds of decisions for you. wait for that one.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I think the biggest dependent factor is, are you a whitesheet person or a computer user?

I personally don't read whitesheets. I have seen many devices with incredibly impressive specs that run like CRAP! And Apple consistently has underwhelming specs that blow everyone else away!

mada88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The point I was trying to make is will the 2012 MBA be that much of a leap forward for the MBA? Im sure the 2011 will be good for a couple of years. I'm only goin to be using the machine to surf the web and do some work on. No video editing so I don't think waiting for a faster cpu would be that noticable for me. Sorry for answering my own question! :-D

daihard

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Seattle, WA
The point I was trying to make is will the 2012 MBA be that much of a leap forward for the MBA? Im sure the 2011 will be good for a couple of years. I'm only goin to be using the machine to surf the web and do some work on. No video editing so I don't think waiting for a faster cpu would be that noticable for me. Sorry for answering my own question! :-D

You sure answered your own question. LOL

I just bought an 13-in. MBA (1.8-4-256). The performance is seriously impressive. I don't do video editing but do a lot of software development. Xcode performs a LOT better than on my old 2009 MBP.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yep, the 2011 is plenty good for that type of stuff. :)

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
I would buy a cheap refurb Air now, and put your money into a maxed-out 2012 Air next Spring, because Ivy will be a step forward in graphics and power consumption, and we should have options for 8GB/512SSD, USB3.0, HD cam, and retina display, and I'm hoping a lighter carbon fiber body with better cooling.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I would buy a cheap refurb Air now, and put your money into a maxed-out 2012 Air next Spring, because Ivy will be a step forward in graphics and power consumption, and we should have options for 8GB/512SSD, USB3.0, HD cam, and retina display, and I'm hoping a lighter carbon fiber body with better cooling.

Carbon fiber retains heat. You are correct that Ivy Bridge will bring better graphics, lower power consumption, and USB 3.0 support, however.

glhiii

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2006
2011 MBA vs 2011 MBP

I just spent a week using a 11" 2011 MBA i7 with the new monitor. It worked very well, but when I got my MBP back (I had loaned it out), I was amazed at how much faster it is. I think it has a lot to do with the 8 gigs of RAM in the MBP (and, of course, the faster processor, the better graphics chip and the 4 vs. 2 cores). True, the SSD helps the MBA, but I'm using a hybrid disk on the MBP and it seems almost as fast.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
well if you believe in Intel marketing, the "3D transistor" technology in the ivy is going to change computing the way the transition of pentium 4 to M did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.