Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lionsfan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Hi folks,
I got my 13" standard MBA 2 weeks ago and it has been wonderful except the battery only lasts 4 hours even when the screen is on half brightness. The timer fluctuates quite a bit from 3 hours to 7 and changes spontaneously even though I am not putting any extra strain on the battery. Has anyone else had this problem? My charger also over heats a lot and you can hear a lot of noise coming from it.
What is the best way to wipe the macbook clean before I return it without doing a complete reinstall. All I have is a bunch of documents which I will erase, some programs that i can uninstall and then a bunch of saved passwords in safari. And is the exchange policy 2 weeks from delivery date or order date?

misterneums

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2009
Hi folks,
I got my 13" standard MBA 2 weeks ago and it has been wonderful except the battery only lasts 4 hours even when the screen is on half brightness. The timer fluctuates quite a bit from 3 hours to 7 and changes spontaneously even though I am not putting any extra strain on the battery.
There are several things that could be contributing to your battery life. 1.) Do you have the back-lit keyboard on? If yes, what brightness setting? The lights do take quite a bit from the battery. Secondly - are you running a flash blocking application? Flash destroys a battery charge--it's a resource hog. What is your typical day on your air?

My charger also over heats a lot and you can hear a lot of noise coming from it.
My charger is dead silent--you may what to talk with an Apple Genius--perhaps you have a faulty charger, which could be leading to some of your above problems.
What is the best way to wipe the macbook clean before I return it without doing a complete reinstall. All I have is a bunch of documents which I will erase, some programs that i can uninstall and then a bunch of saved passwords in safari. And is the exchange policy 2 weeks from delivery date or order date?

You can wipe your passwords from safari. If you're worried about your digital security, the best way to fix that problem is to just do a complete reinstall. Other just delete and empty your trash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.