2011 MBA to 2012 MBA for dual displays (multistream transport adapters)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kchase731, Sep 18, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Jan 1, 2012
    I currently have a 2011 MBA. I "downgraded" from a 15" MBP last year and im really happy with the choice. I use multi-monitors at work, and would love to connect my MBA to my dual u2412m monitors (actually i have 3 but i know the 2012 MBA is limited to 2). I have read about multistream transport adapters (mst) and want to know if i upgrade to a 2012 MBA can i use one of these adapters to connect the thunderbolt port to connect to 2 display ports on my monitors?

at home i have a 27 LED cinema, and it annoys the crap out of me that I cant just add a thunderbolt display directly to my 27 cinema. I know one option is just buy a 15 rMBP use multi ports, but i really, and i mean really like my MBA so if i could use a henge dock at work and home and multistream adapters to do dual monitors in both places i would be very happy. I dont care about using the laptop display when im plugged into the monitors, i just want dual external displays.

help is appreciated.
  2. macrumors member

Apr 10, 2012
    For now the only viable alternative, until TB docks come out, would be the Matrix DualHead2Go DP edition. That is what I am currently using to drive my two Lenovo 24" LED screens in 3840*1200 mode (2 x 1920*1200). Works like a charm as long as I do not consider taking up gaming ;-)
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 1, 2012
    Any issues with 3d in this setup? Mainly with the ui. Like osx features and I'm often in win7 like the aero interface?