Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

01ds650

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Hello,
I have a 2011 (mid year I think) Macbook Pro that started giving me issues on Friday. It's all stock except that a couple of years back I upgraded the RAM from 4 to 16GB.

So I was using it and while in Photoshop it got a mostly black screen with thin horizontal lines all the way across it. It was shifted and like a shadowed double screen with two spinning beach balls. I was forced to reboot it by holding down the power button. On startup it was normal at first, after I logged in it got the horizontal lines again. Though not as bad, the screen wasn't black and wasn't shifted. I rebooted normally and the lines showed up on the Apple logo before login. So I logged in and shut it down. The next morning I logged in and everything functioned as normal throughout the day. I used my photo software, email, web as usual.Good for about 24 straight hours.

This morning in Photoshop again it acted up. A darkened (though not as bad) screen and shifted and it kinda jumped around a bit. So on reboot it had thin horizontal lines on the Apple logo before login. After the next reboot it started and the screen now has a red/pink hue and thin horizontal lines on start up. This time though it just hangs and never gets to a log in. I did a couple forced reboots but no change. I put in the old stock RAM but no change.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks

01ds650

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Yes sorry. It is a 15". An early 2011 15" MBP. I looked at your link, Thank you. It would appear thats my issue. It seems I'll need to wait until I can get into an authorized service center? Is that my only option with this malfunction? Thanks

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Only long term option - Yes. Requires a logic board replacement.

A short term option if your MacBook still boots into OS X is to install a utility called gfxCardStatus and force the integrated graphics using that. Stops the faulty AMD graphics chip from switching in on demand like when an application like Photoshop requests high performance graphics.

I had the same issues about 12 months ago. It's widespread, hence the (belated) repair extension program.

01ds650

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
OK I see. But the logic board replacement should be free then correct? Even at a non Apple store, but certified repair tech found on the Apple site when I searched? I see you list your late 2011 as RIP. Was that the issue that did that?

I'll try to get into OS again and use that program, but like I said before last time I couldn't get in that far. So I'll try otherwise I guess I'll have to wait on a repair? Especially since it's Sunday.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Yes, it's free. You've not specified a location. If you have the option I'd take it to an Apple Store, or take depot service instead of a (third party) Apple Authorized Service Centre.

I had the same dGPU problem numerous times. The original failed suddenly in April 2014, the repair with refurbished replacement parts lasted a few weeks at best before the dGPU failed again. The Apple Store offered to replace the machine due to not meeting customer expectations so I took them up on the offer. Keep in mind that this was before the recall and I had UK consumer law on my side. Hopefully the quality of the refurbished logic boards has improved since.

01ds650

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
I cant get an appointment at an Apple store for about 48 hours. So I'll see what they say.

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
It does say that only applies for three years from the original purchase date which may be an issue. I have an early 2011 mbp and I'm not terribly happy it might at any time fail....

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
No it doesn't. Read it again. ;)

"The program covers affected MacBook Pro models until February 27, 2016 or three years from its original date of sale, whichever provides longer coverage for you"

You are quite correct. My bad.

Reactions: MagicBoy

01ds650

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
The Apple tech said currently the extension is good through Feb 2016 for me. Assuming thats what this is. He thinks it is, so fingered crossed I'm back to good for no charge.

kokhoong0624

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2015
I do not encounter this issue on my MBP, how am I able to check if I have this error.. Or is it possible that my graphics card is okay?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The issue does not affect 100% of all MBPros in that range, so certainly yours could be fine.
When you have a problem, you will know it, no need to check anything.
There's a lot of variations that would demonstrate that you have a covered graphics issue.
The major points are listed in the support article.
Other video issues might appear, and you could always take to an Apple service shop, or to a genius, for further checks.

Reactions: kokhoong0624
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.