2011 Mini worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ToomeyND, Mar 26, 2013.

1. ToomeyND, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013

macrumors 6502

I have a 2007 iMac 20" that I was planning to replace later this year when haswell comes out with probably a 13" rMBP. I have the patience, but I want to be prudent with cost. I like the idea of the mobility of a laptop, but since I currently am "surviving" ;) with an iMac, getting the mini doesn't concern me too much.

For these purposes, I want to compare the 2011 mini to a new mini.

I found a way to get a 2011 i5 2.5 Ghz with 4 GB ram and 500 GB hard drive for $400 new. I know I'm giving up the usb 3.0, but it still has thunderbolt. Is there a good reason to wait for Haswell other than the usb 3.0 (which I know is available now, too)? For $400, I might just pull the trigger and do the RAM and SSD upgrade myself.

My needs are basic. Web, Office (I am on excel quite a bit), the occasional handbrake of my DVD rips (which is excruciating on my iMac), and tinkering.

Thoughts?

I have a screen. Heck, I could probably still sell my iMac for as much on craigslist.

2. macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Well.....

one of the most touted features of Haswell is power comsuption/management. Other, not so touted is the advantages of new architecture in the chips. No more raw power per se. Or too faster chips, for this case. So, unless you really wants/needs the USB 3.0, you will do well with the 2011 mini, based in your description of uses, IMHO.

:):apple:

3. macrumors 603

Unless you're really pressed for cash, the 2012 i7 Mini might be worth the extra $$$.

The USB3 is a -BIG- improvement -- the single greatest improvement for 2012 in the entire Macintosh lineup.

Conversely, Thunderbolt is still the "most underwhelming" Mac technology of them all...

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice!

----------

That was what I was wrestling with. But I don't have a ton of media right now. If I added a ssd to the mix, the ssd and hdd would be enough to fit all my media. Then my only external drive would be time machine. I don't care too much if that takes longer to transfer. I do appreciate that I don't know what the future holds, and I could really regret not having USB 3.0 in a time not all that far away, but my needs as of now seem to be met with the 2011. I'll keep stewing. I appreciate your input.