1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

2011 to 2012 upgrade or Thunderbolt?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by 356a, Aug 9, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

My first post after years of lurking...

I do light photo work (using Aperture or Photoshop with large RAW files) and will do occasional video editing (AVCHD). I realize having a fast external drive for files is considered important or necessary for this kind of work.

I'm trying to decide between two alternatives:
    Keep my 2011 11" MBA i7/4GB/256GB, and add a Thunderbolt drive (probably Lacie Little Big Disk)
    -or-
    Sell my 2011 and buy a 2012 11" MBA i7/8GB/128GB and use a USB 3 external drive.

Both alternatives have similar costs (roughly). The 2011 has only USB 2, so Thunderbolt is the only fast external choice. A 2012 lets me use a USB 3 drive which is considerably cheaper (and a little slower) than Thunderbolt, but at the same time has double the RAM and better video performance.

Portability is a concern, that's why I have confined the alternatives to 11" MBA only.

Which would you choose? Alternatives (other than a different computer or spending lots more money) I haven't considered?

2. macrumors G4

Chances are your 2011 will fetch about $850-900 (net of fees) on eBay. Are you sure the options would be about the same? I would guess it would be easier to go with a Thunderbolt drive. A Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt adapter is $100, the cable is $50, and you can plug in any drive you want into the SATA port (though there will be a gap since it's designed for an encased drive). There is also the Buffalo MiniStation Thunderbolt drive.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1400221

If you do decide to go the 2012 route, you can save $150 by getting the i5. The 2012 i5 is roughly as fast as the 2011 i7. It's about 100MHz slower all around, but it is partly offset by a slightly enhanced microarchitecture.

3. macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input.

One more criteria I should have mentioned - any Thunderbolt solution will have to provide a pass-through as I use an external monitor. Neither the Buffalo nor the $100 Seagate adapter can do this.

I would sell the 2011 locally, and would expect ~$1000. Accessories are more expensive here in Canada, which partly explains why the two options are not far apart cost-wise. For sake of argument, assume the two options have similar net costs.

4. macrumors 6502a

I would go for the i5/8GB/256GB. The performance differences between the i5 and i7 is going to be minimal. Doubling the SSD is going to be a HUGE difference.