2012 Air charger sucks, keeps coming off

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by BigB82, Aug 10, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

I prefer the L shaped charger way better, every time I ever move this machine or my finger hits the charger area it comes right off....what a poor design to go back to, anyone else notice?

2. macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

I've seen this complaint a billion times already.
    It's just a charger. Get the cheap converter if you really hate it that much.

3. macrumors Core

miles01110

4. macrumors 6502a

Yep, it sucks. It's a big step backward in design.

5. macrumors 65816

Yup, its great. Performs its intended job of coming off easily rather than take your macbook to the floor. The L shape previous version had forgotten its purpose. Was more like a hook that wouldn't come off.

6. macrumors regular

7. macrumors 6502a

Probably the first accurate article from the NYT in years:

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/30/one-of-apples-best-ideas-ever-made-worse/

8. macrumors 6502

Please, the charger now works as it should've years ago. If you trip over your cable, it actually comes off the MBA and doesn't drag it over the table. I don't understand what all the fuss is about. The L-shape was a design error in the first place.

9. macrumors 6502a

T shape frayed.
    L shape takes the laptop to the ground.

The new design is to charge the laptop, not tether you to the wall outlet as you wrestle with your keyboard.

10. macrumors 65816

I don't get all these gripes. I've had my 2012 13" for a month now (or so) and not once had the magsafe slip out when it shouldn't have.

11. macrumors regular

Brandon0448

I prefer the L shaped charger as well. I have never had a problem with the L shaped charger taking my mac with it when someone trips over the cord, it always popped right out. With the T shaped chargers some of the ways I hold my MBA it can get in the way and/or pop out. But with the L shaped charger I don't even really notice that it is plugged in.

12. macrumors 6502

If i'm using it on my lap on the couch or while sitting in bed the magsafe sometimes disconnects, but other than that I've had no issues either. It's my first mac, so the whole magsafe is new to me. seems to do what it's supposed to.

13. macrumors member

It maybe me but my MagSafe is hard to remove. It's my first Mac so I don't know.

14. dyn
    macrumors 68000

I've had it happen a few times and was glad it did. The cable got snagged behind something. Luckily it disconnected so I didn't damage the cable.

I'd be more worried about the heat not being able to get out the back of the laptop when using it on your bed (sheets/pillow folding around the laptop blocking the air in-/outlets). Be careful with that as well as putting it on other soft items.

To give you an idea: with the previous L-shaped connector you could lift up your notebook a couple of centimetres from the table and it didn't disconnect at all. The current design does not allow for this as it disconnects immediately.

15. macrumors 68040

It's supposed to disconnect when you put force on it, that was the entire reason that they introduced Magsafe in the first place 6 years ago.

Not (just) because magnets are cool. :D

16. macrumors regular

youre supposed to call it magsafe, not just "charger". people may confuse it with those ugly charger things on windows computers. yuck.

17. macrumors 6502a

Mine works fine, it charges, it disconnects if the cord is yanked or the laptop is moved violently.

Can't say I have had any issues with it just falling off with normal use.

18. macrumors member

I still think my MagSafe requires more force to remove than it should. It's not a simple light pull and it disconnects. I have to pull it apart. If someone trips on the cable I fear the Air would still be connected to the cable. Maybe I should go to bestbuy and try their MagSafes?

19. macrumors member

Amen

20. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think what you folks are not realizing is on the new charger you can slightly move it up or down and it comes off very easily. In the case of when you have it on your lap and anything touches it, it comes off. Whereas on the older one up and down kept it tight side to side took it easily. Preference I suppose!! :apple::apple::apple::apple:

21. 2IS
    macrumors 68030

I would suggest the next time you're itching to reply, that you actually understand the complaint first.

22. macrumors 6502

No, it doesn't. If yours comes of that easily, it's not magnetized enough. I have to "use some force" to get it off.

23. macrumors 68040

I do understand the complaint. It's been a complaint posted repeatedly since the Magsafe 2 machines were released.

Magsafe was designed to disconnect when force is applied to save the computer.

When that computer was a 2006 model Macbook Pro that weighed 5.6 pounds, that connection could be pretty strong and still do its job.

Now that connection has to do its job with an 11" Macbook Air that weighs just 2.3 pounds.

It's a compromise between nuisance disconnects and reliably disconnecting when it needs to to save the computer from flying off a table.

24. macrumors 6502

+1

25. macrumors 65816

aaronvan

Same here. If anything, the MagSafe is too strong. I grunt when I pull that sucker off.