2012 i5/i7 difffernce in fan noise while browsing

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Acc, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Acc
    macrumors newbie

Jun 22, 2012
    Just curious if anyone knows if there would be a difference in fan noise between the 2012 i5 & i7 MacBook Airs while doing less intensive tasks like web browsing?

Assuming money's not an issue, I am trying to figure out if there is a down side to the more powerful processor. I won't be using the extra power much now (who knows in future years) and I wouldn't want to spoil my user experience with a noisey machine. If there isn't really a difference, the faster processor might extend the useful life a year or two longer.

Who knows the answer?
  2. macrumors regular

Jun 15, 2012
    I can't imagine that their would be any differnce or that you would even notice the fan while just surfing the internet. I've had my 2012 i7 for a week now and I have yet to even notice the fan.
  3. macrumors 65816

Nov 2, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Since both processors have the same thermal design power rating and maximum temperature I can't imagine how the fan noise could be much different between the two.

FWIW, flash video and running benchmarks like geekbench seem to do a nice job of spooling up the fans. Otherwise the machine is fairly quiet.