2012 iMac omits FireWire 800

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Hexley, Nov 27, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

Apple remove the FireWire port from the iMac while retaining it on the Mac Pro, Mac mini and MacBook Pro.

So will this omission force you to get the dongle or will you transition to a USB 3 and thunderbolt setup? Really wish that one port was retained. Apple has a lot of space for it where they bunch up all the ports.

2. macrumors 68030

forty2j

I haven't plugged anything in to FireWire since 2003.

3. macrumors regular

TrboMac

Guess you're best to get the adapter for now. I use FW for my external HD and music recording interface. My 2011 iMac has it of course, but if it did not, I'd consider the adapter first, until more USB 3 interfaces show up.

4. macrumors 65816

I have the Seagate drives so I will most likely get the adapter from them to convert drives to thunderbolt and get the faster speeds.

5. macrumors 68040

xgman

The vast majority of audio interfaces still use firewire. So dongle it is.

6. macrumors demi-god

CWallace

I use FireWire for my external storage (2 4TB WD My Book IIs), but my ATD does have FW so I'm still covered should I replace my 2011 iMac with a 2012 or 2013 model.

7. macrumors 6502a

I got an adapter specially for when I get the new iMac.

I hope to get a Thunderbolt drive sooner or later.

Not gonna use USB 3.0 for video editing. Maybe backups, not video editing.

8. macrumors 65816

If you are gonna transition from FW800 go TB or get an adapter. Dnt take the halfstep to USB3. Just seems a waste of money to me.

9. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

And wouldn't it bottleneck?

10. macrumors 65816

even if a bottleneck did occur, at the throughput speeds could anyone tell? Also, most people only have 1 or maybe 2 externals so there isnt much to slow it up. AAAANNNNDDDD if they are on FW already, then they are already in a chain system.

11. macrumors 6502

7enderbender

This was one of the reasons why I took the iMac off my list of options for my next desktop. For serious audio interfaces there are very few choices with Thunderbolt - and those cost an arm and a leg still. USB3 doesn't exist at all. So FW is still the gold standard. I know that there is a TB to FW adapter but people have reported issues with those for audio. I know, Apple always knows best what is good for you just like the government - only when they don't. Same goes by the way for eliminating the CD drive. Still needed for a lot of creative folks - you know the people who initially made Apple what it is? I know I can buy an external drive and that's ok. I shouldn't have to pay extra for just because some arrogant designer with big frame glasses and a turtleneck thought it was in the way of world-dominance through ultra-chique appearance.

----------

Make sure that you don't have a bus powered interface. Apparently those don't work.

12. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Are there any 3rd party adapters that does not cost as much as the Apple one?

13. macrumors 6502a

Not yet, the only other way around it is to get a Thunderbolt dock/hub thing, and they're extremely expensive.

----------

I bought one specially for the new iMac, and I tried it on my 2011 11" MacBook Air and it could power my 7200rpm G-Drive Mini.

The larger drive I have uses the mains anyway so it doesn't matter if it can't power much.