2012 iMac power consumption is amazing!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by WilliamG, Jan 14, 2013.

1. macrumors 603

2. macrumors member

Yeroon

That's a big improvement and good for my energy bill. I wonder what an average pc consumes... (I guess much more)

3. macrumors 68040

Yea, nice very nice, but i wonder too what is the consumption of an desktop PC

4. macrumors 6502

colodane

Yes, Apple deserves credit for excellent power management in the recent iMacs. Even my 2011 21.5 inch only typically draws 60W in normal operation and about half of that with the display off. And only a couple of watts in sleep mode.

But it gets even better. Apple has gone the extra mile and provided a power supply with active power factor correction. The power factor is over 0.9 during normal operation and also for a display off condition. (a power factor of 1.0 is perfect) This means that the peak current drawn from the AC line for a given amount of power consumption is substantially less. It also reduces the voltage waveform distortion on your electrical system. This adds cost to the power supply, but provides tangible benefits for all of us. It is touches like this that make Apple products more expensive, but in my opinion it is money well spent.