2012 iMac Upgrading to SSD from stock 1TB HD... Where to get special OS?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Kmad86, Dec 28, 2012.

1. macrumors member

I've done some research and it seems like the Mountain Lion OS that comes on the 2012 iMac stock is a special version of Mountain Lion. Any idea how I would get that version on my SSD if I swap out the HD with the SSD? Or can I safely just use the standard 10.8 in AppStore?

2. macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

All new macs have Internet recovery built in. As long as you have an Internet connection the iMac can get the proper OS itself.

3. macrumors 6502a

What wouuld be special about it? And where have you read that?

4. thread starter macrumors member

I had read it on here, I think in the teardown thread. I believe a specific story was somebody putting a Crucial M4 512 in their computer and it wouldn't boot because it had the OS on it from their other computer, and it was a different build??

5. macrumors 6502a

ConCat

This is correct. Apple uses a custom build containing code specific to the new model, until the next Mac OS update, where the differences are consolidated. However, it's irrelevant nowadays as the above poster mentioned because of Internet Recovery.

6. thread starter macrumors member

Great! Will go that route.

7. macrumors 6502a

So ...
    - Install OS X on SSD
    - Boot Mac from SSD
    - Use Internet Recovery?

8. macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

With just the ssd the only valid boot option should be Internet recovery and it should boot into it automatically. If not I think you hold the R key while booting.

9. macrumors regular

nope...

- install SSD
    - boot with command + R
    - system will detect there is no recovery partiton, nor boot drives, and will load up internet recovery
    - select where to install OS X
    - let it download and install

10. macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yep!

Just did this on a MBP. Not a hybrid, but hd to ssd. Works great.

Then used time machine.

11. macrumors 6502a

Ohh, so the SSD will be completely empty, insert it in the Mac and try booting from it and it will bring up Internet Recovery? That's awesome! No need to manually install OS X on the SSD beforehand then!

12. macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yep!

Yes. I also believe it will install the latest OS you've purchased and installed (from the Mac App Store), not the OS that originally came with the computer, which saves you another step.

Can't confirm that, but I don't remember having to reinstall 10.7 and then upgrade to 10.8 when I replaced my hd with an ssd.

13. macrumors 6502a

Awesome! Thanks :D
    Having to upgrade manually is just a minor thing though.

14. macrumors newbie

Would this be the same for adding a ssd to a mid-2011 iMac with the original hd still in? Got a refurb with os x 10.8 already installed & didn't want to have to download for another $20.

15. thread starter macrumors member

Just did the internet recovery. Am I crazy, or does that log into a wireless connection without a password? I swore it was formatted and somehow still recovered from the internet. Once I installed it, it then asked for a password.