2012 Mac Mini power supply

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by DJ Racing, Feb 3, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if the 2012 mac mini power supply is pfc? I did some quick searching but can't find a definitive answer. The reason I ask is that I just bought an APC ups. It's the xs 1000 and on the APC site is says that it has a stepped approximation to sine wave. The UPS works excellent and I have both my hackintosh and mac mini on it. Ive tested the battery back up and haven't had any issues. I read some people say that the power supply may hum or the mini would just do a hard shut down. Mine did not hum and continued to run well.

I'd appreciate any answers

2. macrumors regular

Not sure if this helps you or not, but I have a 2011 base and a APC UPS myself. Just this past Thursday I had a blackout in the morning. My first test of how the APC and Mac play together. All went well. It switched without missing a beat to backup power. I didn't hear a hum at all but the beeping from the APC sure was annoying.

Again, this was a 2011 so I don't know if the 2012 differs in power supply or not.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that was the same experience I had. It worked perfectly. I was just concerned about it not being pure sine wave. Not sure if your ups has one, but mine has a mute button that stops the beeping.

4. macrumors 68030

FreakinEurekan

No idea what the internals of the power supply look like, but mine also runs fine on my APC UPS.