2012 MBA - only holding 2 hour charge

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nsbane, Dec 29, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Hey, for some reason my MBA is only lasting for 2-3 hours before it dies. Also, the fan seems to be running more often.

It's my first Mac, bought it in July 2012. I used Windows for years, even built my own tower once. But I'm still a Mac novice. So I don't know about any basic diagnostic tools or steps, even system restores, that I would normally do with a windows machine.

Any advice?

2. macrumors regular

I would call Apple I think it is 1 800 my apple, doesn't sound right, I have a 2011 11" air...no issues, battery lasts in the 4-5hr range.

I also have a 2011 mac mini and a 2006 15" MB Pro also no issues.

It is under warranty plus you can still by applecare for an additional 2yrs warranty.

3. Mrbobb, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012

macrumors 601

That's a sign that *something* is running in the background perhaps and eating up batt.

Computers are computers no matter whether PC or Mac, basic troubleshooting technique u learned from Windows still apply.

Download a app, like istat (free) that will tell you what your machine is doing at a given time, then u will find out what's eating up your cpu cycles + batt.

Conversely if you don't want to bother, can always reload OSX from scratch. I hope u saved the clean install executable.

ps.: I myself have a current similar issue, and I can actually feel the palmrests getting warm when normally it's room-cold, look at my iStat and sure enough the cpu has shot up to 70+ degree when normally it stays on the 40s. So that's a troubleshooting technique for ya.

4. macrumors newbie

Took your advice - Dropbox was eating up 95% of my cpu. Closed it, and everything is fine. My CPU temp was over 200 deg f. Now it's 114 deg.

Anyone else having similar problems w/Dropbox? This only started happening in the last week I think. I even updated to the latest release, and it was still using up all my CPU.

5. macrumors demi-god

GGJstudios

That's certainly not normal, but several have reported similar issues. I'd try uninstalling and reinstalling again. The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

6. macrumors 601

Certain any app that does things on his own (background) tasks, should have a setting that says "Only do this task on AC power." It it doesn't have such feature, then I would be wary of running it on a laptop.

Or if they let you manually schedule the tasks, say evening time, when u know you are always home on AC would work too, not as nice as paragraph#1 but OK.

7. macrumors 6502

Probably just something wrong with your dropbox installation. It works fine on mine and doesn't cause any drainage issues.

8. macrumors 6502a

Apple reports a minimum of 5 hours on the 11-inch and 7 hours on the 13-inch so anything less than that is faulty.

9. macrumors demi-god

GGJstudios

I hope you're being sarcastic, because that is completely false. Read the actual claim on Apple's site:
    How much time you get on a charge is dependent on your settings and workload. If you get less than 5 or 7 hours, your battery is NOT faulty.