Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xant

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2016

As I long heard, what differentiate MAC from Windows is stability. Well, MAC mini with the latest iOS have been a nightmare for months as it shuts down and reboots constantly (and more often as times goes by). Replaced and updated hard-drive, memory and even changed the board battery (besides memory, had to take the whole system apart many times). Later, things got so corrupted that it didn't even allow recovery and reinstall OS from Internet anymore...

As a last resort, installed Windows 10. To my surprise, things are now working and stable. So... Mac Mini works better with MS-Windows than its own iOS?! Beats me...

To note, I installed Windows 10 directly, without Apple Boot Camp. Thus, had to later dig for drivers (missing AMD Radeon, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and audio). Here is what you need:

- http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/bootcamp

- https://matthill.eu/windows/mac-mini-late-2012-windows-10-drivers/

Would have tried Linux, in case Win approach didn't work. But no need.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
The OP found out that his problem was with his USB hub. 2 other posters had problems with their 2011 Mini with the Radeon dGPU. Another put a link to a thread about the HDMI problems before the firmware update. If you had any of these problems, you would have had problems with Windows 10. It looks like your problem was software-related, and if you had posted in the El Capitan forum (I'm guessing that's the OS you were having problems with), maybe you would have been to able to find a solution to your problems. If you were having a problem with a newly purchased Mini with El Capitan, you should have returned the Mac. There haven't been many major problems in this forum reported of a completely clean install of El Capitan on a properly functioning, reasonably hardware-capable Mini.

PS. Running iOS on the Mac Mini is a major accomplishment.

EncryptedUser

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2008
I had my radeon resoldered and after that it worked perfect for 4 months.
And then began to reboot again and again. Safe boot was only way to keep it running.

i sent it back under repair warranty and I hope they can get it reworked better now.

boazii

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2009
I experienced the same problem with my 2012 Mac mini, took it to the Apple store, after having it for few days they called me and said that the logic board need to be replaced, the issue was the GPU... too bad this Mac mini was running great otherwise... I ended up buying a new 2014 Mac mini, hope it will last as long ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.