Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Can anyone that has 10.8.5 Beta or 10.9 Mavericks on their MacBook Air 2013" confirm that the issue has been resolved?

I can’t say it’s resolved, since I never ran mine on Mountain Lion, but I can say it hasn’t happened to me. But I don’t think it affects all 2013 MBAs, does it?

MacSter2011

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2011
Just got my 11 inch 2013 MBA last night and this has already happened to me about 4 or 5 times. Don't see anything magnetic around either. I was also very careful not to press any shortcuts or touch hotcorners. Has anyone called into tech support regarding this? Might have to return the unit if this keeps happening

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Mike in Kansas had posted in another thread that people have luck disabling the "put hard drives to sleep when possible" feature in energy saver.

it makes no sense that this feature would be activating while typing as the default time for disksleep is 10 minutes - but that seems to fix the problem.

100% certain this is a bug and a problem. every apple tech support person i've talked to has either never heard of this or pretends like they've never heard of it...btu it's a thing.

MacSter2011

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2011
Seems to be happening when i'm using chrome as well. Going to disable put hard drives to sleep, wonder what that has to do with my ssd. This never happens on my mbpro 15

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Seems to be happening when i'm using chrome as well. Going to disable put hard drives to sleep, wonder what that has to do with my ssd. This never happens on my mbpro 15

does your pro have SSDs?
i think there's a ML associated glitch associated with SSDs

iDontEvenLift

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2013
My 2013 Air does the same thing described by others. The screen shuts off, and a key press turns it back on. This happens multiple times per day for me, especially during web browsing in Chrome.

Any news on this? I'm not surprised that Apple Store employees act like this isn't an issue since they acted the same way when 2013 Airs were having Wi-Fi issues a month ago. I think Apple patched that in a ML update.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
does your pro have SSDs?
i think there's a ML associated glitch associated with SSDs

I'm using an SSD on my Mac Pro running 10.8.4. It's not an SSD issue.

Also, I have not noticed this happening on my 2012 Air. I use Safari to surf.

Lou

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I'm using an SSD on my Mac Pro running 10.8.4. It's not an SSD issue.

Also, I have not noticed this happening on my 2012 Air. I use Safari to surf.

Lou

thanks for chiming in Lou. who knows what the root of it is... There does seem to be some empirical evidence suggesting that it's chrome-related. NO idea why that would be though.

adingdong

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2015
I have a new 2013 13" air i7 8gb ram 128gb ssd and like the title states I have had the screen shutoff on me 2 times now. I will be browsing a forum and the screen will just go black. I know it shouldn't be going into sleep because I just scrolled down 5 seconds before. I will hit the spacebar and nothing happens. 15 seconds later it turns back on and opens all minimized programs.

It acts like its restarting but I never get the boot screen or have to reenter the password. Has anyone had this happen?

My previous mac was a 2010 MBP 13" with a ssd upgrade and I never saw anything like this.

Thanks

adingdong

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2015
This is 2015 now and unluckily when i bought MacBook Air 13" this year, i didn't realise they gave me 2013 version. And this "randomly shut down" thing happens. Really frustrating, and thats not our fault of course. it is a faulty product, after i do some researches online, i found this article http://www.cnet.com/news/2013-macbook-air-black-screen-woes-continue/ I am going to Apple Store in sydney this afternoon for a replacement. See what happens because my local Dick Smith shop can't do replacement for Apple product as they say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.