2013 MBA. Longer wi-fi range?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by r6mile, Jun 17, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I'm currently on a late-2006 iMac, which I've been using since the untimely death of my 2010 13" MBP. The wi-fi signal in my bedroom is not very good (something about how the flat is built), and when it connects the speed is still quite slow - this is the case with my iMac and was the case with my MBP too. This is why I currently have my desktop in the living room.

I am going to buy a 2013 13" MBA - does the laptop have a more powerful WiFi adapter?

Thanks,

2. macrumors regular

l3it3r

802.11 AC has some very nice features that will definitely improve your WiFi coverage. You will need a new WiFi router though. I went from an 802.11 N Cisco/linksys top of the line model to the ASUS RT-AC66R and even with my 802.11 N equipment, I'm getting amazing WiFi coverage not just thoughout my home, but my entire yard. I haven't received my '13 MBA yet to test out the 802.11 AC, but it is apparently even more impressive. And then there's the speed! 1GB+ :eek::D

3. macrumors 601

The definite "cure" for this is a better Access Point, BUT if your current AP takes external antennas, that's the way to go at minimal expense.