Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bodhi1968

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2016
Malibu
So, need opinion on a certain Mac Mini being able to handle my work.

Fairly quick back story - LONG time Mac user. Last two computers were iMacs. Had them both for a long time but eventually both self-immolated … because heat.

My last iMac was a 27” Mid 2011 16gig ram. I also ran a second monitor out of it … a Dell U2515H Ultra Sharp. 25” 2560x1440. Awesome Monitor Mini DP cable out of Thunderbolt port directly into display port 1.2 (cable even included with monitor) no adaptor needed.

I do two things - I write (using Pages - so I'm confident the Mini can handle that) and I do photoshop compositing. The iMac monitor was fine but the non-glossy Dell was better (non-glossy allows to see things would not otherwise see on glossy monitor)

With my iMac dead, and our friends at Apple not updating desktop machines for a while still - if at all, I am looking at what they have (which in some cases is from 2013….)

I don’t want another iMac - yes, I know, quad core, dedicated graphics, etc., etc. BUT I want a dual monitor and would really just prefer to get a second U2515H monitor and hook it up to a desktop mac. And … I’m not loving the idea of dropping three grand for a Mac Pro when I think the following might actually work for me. (Hear me out on this … I think it will work …. but tell me if you think otherwise)

Here is what I am looking at:

2014 Mini with 2.8 GHz i5
16GB ram
256GB PCIe flash drive.

and I'd be running a the two U2515H monitors out of the two Thunderbolt ports

Photoshop runs fine on two cores … I’ve demonstrated that on my MacBook Air when on location and I need a quick check of things. The flash drive will make it seem zippy. But … what gives me pause is running the two monitors out of the thunderbolt ports. Apple’s info page says the two TB ports will drive the monitors … but Iris Graphics using some of the 16GB ram to drive those monitors … I’m wondering if that is really gonna make a difference.

I don’t do games. I don’t edit video. I will sometimes have a movie playing on the second monitor while I work which is the extent of taxing video.

I figure this will last me a few years until Apple comes up with new desktops … or not.

So will the Mini Configured above pushing the two monitors and doing Photoshop work?

Thoughts?

Bodhi1968

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2016
Malibu
I do some light photoshop/lightroom on compressed jpg and raw photos driving 2 monitors U2414HM (1920x1080) and it was both ok on my 2012 i7 HD4000 and 2014 i7 Iris 5100

Cool. Although driving less pixels, and since Apple says the 2 thunderbolt ports should drive the monitors, sounds like it might work out ok.

Thank you for the reply.

Anyone else running mid to heavy amount of photoshop on a mini like what I detail above and having it work okay?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.