Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Should be interesting if Red Bull switches to Ferrari. I'm convinced if the Red Bulls were to switch to Mercedes power, that team would rival the Mercedes team, itself. For that reason, I don't see that happening. I fully expect Red Bull Ferrari in 2017.

and not 2016? does their contract run through next season? i thought it ended this season.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Should be interesting if Red Bull switches to Ferrari. I'm convinced if the Red Bulls were to switch to Mercedes power, that team would rival the Mercedes team, itself. For that reason, I don't see that happening. I fully expect Red Bull Ferrari in 2017.
Yes I think that's quite likely. Hopefully it will close up the field a bit.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
and not 2016? does their contract run through next season? i thought it ended this season.
The guys on the broadcast makes it sound like 2016.

Either way, the rumor is Red Bull has already sent a letter to Renault informing them Red Bull plans to terminate their relationship. Before that happens, however, we'll have a better idea regarding Renault's F1 future as well, because there is talks they might buy Lotus.

Once again, this emphasizes how important Honda's success is for F1. The less engine options teams have, the more of a spec series F1 becomes. While seasoned fans continue to call McLaren Honda a failure, the current F1 car setup with the goofy power unit makes me think the learning curve isn't what it once was.

Vettel. What a heartbreaker :(

Last edited:
Reactions: pachyderm

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Haven't seen the race yet...

So what's this about Rosberg gaining a second under the Virtual Safety Car? I saw he did around what, lap 22, and then Hamilton goes straight off the track to make it up? Okay, Rosberg could be penalized - but Lewis consistently shows he's a spoiled brat. It's not up to him to handle Rosberg stealing time under a safety car - Those things have no speedometers or clocks, so Hamilton obviously doing that deliberately so both Mercedes drivers should be penalized, yes? In my mind, Hamilton carries more blame than Rosberg in this one.

...and too bad there isn't a way for Pirelli to be penalized; they provide a faulty product, and then start throwing blame around. That's even worse than Hamilton's cheating when there's so many lives at stake.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England

So what's this about Rosberg gaining a second under the Virtual Safety Car? I saw he did around what, lap 22, and then Hamilton goes straight off the track to make it up? Okay, Rosberg could be penalized - but Lewis consistently shows he's a spoiled brat. It's not up to him to handle Rosberg stealing time under a safety car - Those things have no speedometers or clocks, so Hamilton obviously doing that deliberately so both Mercedes drivers should be penalized, yes? In my mind, Hamilton carries more blame than Rosberg in this one.

...and too bad there isn't a way for Pirelli to be penalized; they provide a faulty product, and then start throwing blame around. That's even worse than Hamilton's cheating when there's so many lives at stake.

I watched the race live but I've no idea what you are going on about Hamilton cheating.

Rosberg didn't go too fast during the Virtual Safety car as the stewards would have pulled him up and issued a penalty, it's more likely Hamilton was just a little bit too cautious keeping above the permitted minimum sector time limits. All Lewis did was ask his team how Nico had gained the second, there were no tantrums and definitely no cheating from him and nothing was mentioned about it after the race.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

I can't say I see where Hamilton cheated, nor has a big deal been made out of anything related to him. Hamilton handled the race very well and was very calm from what I saw.

I suppose we'll have to see what Pirelli say about the Vettel incident. If pushing the tyres for a one stop strategy was beyond the advised criteria by Pirelli, it could be Ferrari that are penalised. The commentators were predicting it would be a huge gamble even before the tyre gave way so it'll be interesting to understand what advice Ferrari actually received.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I watched the race live but I've no idea what you are going on about Hamilton cheating.

Rosberg didn't go too fast during the Virtual Safety car as the stewards would have pulled him up and issued a penalty, it's more likely Hamilton was just a little bit too cautious keeping above the permitted minimum sector time limits. All Lewis did was ask his team how Nico had gained the second, there were no tantrums and definitely no cheating from him and nothing was mentioned about it after the race.
I haven't seen the race yet but I caught a glimpse a lap or two after the VSC came off, and Hamilton deliberately cut a corner; the commentators even mentioned how he was taking his time back. If his teammate had done that same thing he'd have to pull off after the race and stare out to sea again. Must be me.

As far as the tire issue goes, yes teams take chances - but I find it dumb that anyone could suggest a team would pick up the blame when the tires obviously have a problem; If it was only Vettel there'd be a bit of balance needed, but happening to another driver as well when there's nowhere near the stress and wear putting the blame on one team is far fetched.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I haven't seen the race yet but I caught a glimpse a lap or two after the VSC came off, and Hamilton deliberately cut a corner; the commentators even mentioned how he was taking his time back. If his teammate had done that same thing he'd have to pull off after the race and stare out to sea again. Must be me.

As far as the tire issue goes, yes teams take chances - but I find it dumb that anyone could suggest a team would pick up the blame when the tires obviously have a problem; If it was only Vettel there'd be a bit of balance needed, but happening to another driver as well when there's nowhere near the stress and wear putting the blame on one team is far fetched.
As you haven't seen the race let me help you out. Everyone was cutting that corner all through the race. The stewards let it slide.
As for the tyres, Ferrari tried to make a tyre go further than it should to be competitive. No one else tried to one stop it, and nobody else had a tyre problem (well apart from Williams but that was a different issue!)

A work colleague also tried to take his tyre beyond its usable life! image.jpg

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England

I've just rewatched the laps after the VSC and do you mean the time when he went over the kerb at the top of the hill after Eau Rouge?

That's the only thing I could see even close to what you are describing and when you watch the whole race you will see most of the drivers do that at least once. There's no way you could gain a full second over that kerb, more like a tenth or so at most and a few drivers even lost time there after the kerb sent them into oversteer.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
As you haven't seen the race let me help you out. Everyone was cutting that corner all through the race. The stewards let it slide.
As for the tyres, Ferrari tried to make a tyre go further than it should to be competitive. No one else tried to one stop it, and nobody else had a tyre problem (well apart from Williams but that was a different issue!)

A work colleague also tried to take his tyre beyond its usable life! View attachment 577016
Yeah...Vettel's tire failure was on Ferrari, not Pirelli. IIRC, he was 27 laps into those tires.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Yeah...Vettel's tire failure was on Ferrari, not Pirelli. IIRC, he was 27 laps into those tires.
I have a feeling it was lap 28 as that was the BBC's prediction on it. The lap before Vettel was struggling big time in front of Grosjean and everybody expected him to come in. He played a risky game especially on a track with the longest lap distance. Ferrari need to take responsibility for that one, although history suggests they probably won't.

The guy above (Melrose) who hasn't watched the race but is quick to call Hamilton a cheat needs to watch every single car on the grid cut the corner at the top of Eau Rouge. Grosjean got a verbal warning about track limits over his radio and he is no cheat. Sounds more like s misinformed Hamilton bash gone pear shaped ^^^.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I have a feeling it was lap 28 as that was the BBC's prediction on it. The lap before Vettel was struggling big time in front of Grosjean and everybody expected him to come in. He played a risky game especially on a track with the longest lap distance. Ferrari need to take responsibility for that one, although history suggests they probably won't.

The guy above (Melrose) who hasn't watched the race but is quick to call Hamilton a cheat needs to watch every single car on the grid cut the corner at the top of Eau Rouge. Grosjean got a verbal warning about track limits over his radio and he is no cheat. Sounds more like s misinformed Hamilton bash gone pear shaped ^^^.
Haters going to hate and all that.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
A tragedy has befallen the racing world, as Justin Wilson has succumbed to his injuries sustained during Sunday's IndyCar race. He is survived by his wife and two children. Before IndyCar, he drove for Minardi and Jaguar in F1.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Hulkenberg is staying with Force India :)
I think thats a good move for him.
Nothing much is likely to change this season. You'd expect Williams would be looking to replace Massa sooner or later but right now I'd go for Alonso if they can afford him. It's wrong for a driver of his calibre to be making up the numbers.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I think thats a good move for him.
Nothing much is likely to change this season. You'd expect Williams would be looking to replace Massa sooner or later but right now I'd go for Alonso if they can afford him. It's wrong for a driver of his calibre to be making up the numbers.
There is uncertainty regarding Alonso's contract. McLaren says his contract is rock solid for three years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.