Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

astrowheat

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2016
So on my first 15'' MBP, there was a redish to greenish tint from left to right. I exchanged it and got this one. There's still a little darker on the very right side. It doesn't bother me as the color uneveness though...

Obagleyfreer

macrumors member
May 9, 2016
New Zealand
Now if only Blade wasn't a 14" with huge bezels, but a 15.4".... that would be perfect.

As far as MacBook panel lottery, I'm afraid it's not going to improve. Most customers don't even care and Apple needs multiple suppliers due to their production volume. There's also no incentive for either manufacturers or Apple to cherry-pick perfect displays if they can get away without it.
EXACTLY! So we SHOULDN'T let Apple get away with it at all. We should keep swapping devices as many times as is needed until a good one. If everyone did this it would force Apple to cherry pick quality screens.

graffixnyc

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
ÜT: 40.757618,-73.790043
So I chatted in, they told me since I exchanged it once in a store that I have to go to a store to exchange it again, and that since I got it during the holiday return period I had until the 8th of Jan. Guess I'm off to the Apple store again on Friday. Hopefully this 3rd unit doesn't have any strange clicking and doesn't have a scratch by the speaker grill and pinkish tint on the screen. Honestly, if this unit just had the scratch I'd keep it since it's not really that noticeable on the silver, but once I saw my screen had a pinkish tint as well then I knew this one would need to get exchanged too.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
So I chatted in, they told me since I exchanged it once in a store that I have to go to a store to exchange it again, and that since I got it during the holiday return period I had until the 8th of Jan. Guess I'm off to the Apple store again on Friday. Hopefully this 3rd unit doesn't have any strange clicking and doesn't have a scratch by the speaker grill and pinkish tint on the screen. Honestly, if this unit just had the scratch I'd keep it since it's not really that noticeable on the silver, but once I saw my screen had a pinkish tint as well then I knew this one would need to get exchanged too.

I think you can exchange it anytime if it came with cosmetic damage out of the box or an inferior screen. The problem with exchanging outside the "return for any reason" period would be getting Apple to agree that the screen is not good. Apple employees never see screen irregularities and indeed it is hard to see them in an Apple Store under bright lights even for the people who can. Your best bet is to get to the store before Jan 8th so you're in the driver's seat. :)
Also returning instead of exchanging and then buying new, gives you another 2 weeks of returning for any reason. It does put 2 hefty charges on your credit card however for a few days.

Reactions: graffixnyc

graffixnyc

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
ÜT: 40.757618,-73.790043
I think you can exchange it anytime if it came with cosmetic damage out of the box or an inferior screen. The problem with exchanging outside the "return for any reason" period would be getting Apple to agree that the screen is not good. Apple employees never see screen irregularities and indeed it is hard to see them in an Apple Store under bright lights even for the people who can. Your best bet is to get to the store before Jan 8th so you're in the driver's seat. :)
Also returning instead of exchanging and then buying new, gives you another 2 weeks of returning for any reason. It does put 2 hefty charges on your credit card however for a few days.
Yeah, I'm visiting CT for the holiday and was going to wait to exchange it when I got back to NYC right after the new year but my cousin said I should exchange it while I'm still here in case that one has issues as well, then I'd have a little more time to return it once I got back to NYC on Jan 3rd. If that one has issues then I'll just return it and then repurchase it like you said. It's my first Mac and my first time paying mac prices. So I expect quality to be much higher than a PC equivalent that's half the price.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Yeah, I'm visiting CT for the holiday and was going to wait to exchange it when I got back to NYC right after the new year but my cousin said I should exchange it while I'm still here in case that one has issues as well, then I'd have a little more time to return it once I got back to NYC on Jan 3rd. If that one has issues then I'll just return it and then repurchase it like you said. It's my first Mac and my first time paying mac prices. So I expect quality to be much higher than a PC equivalent that's half the price.
Each swapped one might give you another 14 days by the way. I.E If you swapped on January 8th you might get more time. I could be wrong though but I have seen it work this way for swapping BTO machines

Aurora Wright

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2016
http://imgur.com/a/Arq2E
This is my 15" (photos taken with an actual camera, not phone). It's pretty uniform compared to some I saw here on the forums, there's just an oval warmer blotch in the lower center of the screen (marked in the second picture). Since it has no dead pixels/speaker scratches/whatever I'm not convinced I want to try my luck though.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
http://imgur.com/a/Arq2E
This is my 15" (photos taken with an actual camera, not phone). It's pretty uniform compared to some I saw here on the forums, there's just an oval warmer blotch in the lower center of the screen (marked in the second picture). Since it has no dead pixels/speaker scratches/whatever I'm not convinced I want to try my luck though.

Your screen looks good to me and I'm pretty picky. If you try your luck again I would definitely keep this one until you see what the next one looks like. I think it would be hard to find a better one.

athletejmv

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011
Well in the real world, when I scroll through a PDF or a webpage with a white background, the text moves from a white to a muddy yellowy white background. It's distracting and to be honest stings a little considering this machine cost me £2300.

Of course other activities like watching video or editing photos don't display the problem. Only white backgrounds do. Unfortunately for me, a lot of the activities I perform involve white backgrounds. This makes everyday use for me an issue.

I'm wondering if this could be the fabled 'wet bonding glue that needs time to dry' issue?

Same issue here buddy, I read a lot of text and use my MBP for productivity. Not sure what these other folks are using their MBPs for, but I don't care to read left to right going from pink to green hues and muddy looking yellows. I find the unevenly colored screen distracting and disappointing on a $3.2k laptop.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
To some of you going for a replacement: did you get an advanced replacement or did you have to send it in first?

Obagleyfreer

macrumors member
May 9, 2016
New Zealand
Just got my tbMBP.
I have waited 7 weeks for this and get a screen like this.....
In your opinion is it bad or should I live with it? Photo actually looks better than real life which is weird.

Attachments

• 20161229_203853.jpg
    20161229_203853.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 404

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere; between the new MBPs and the new AirPods it's tough to keep up with all the threads ...

Are people finding that 2016 MBP screens are a little warmer than 2012 rMBP screens?

My new 2016 15" MBP with Touch Bar looks perfect as a general matter — no scratches, no inconsistencies with the screen's color or brightness — but I noticed that with the brightness set the same and the desktops both set to a plain white background, my 2012's screen looks whiter than my 2016's.

Not a huge deal; just curious. The 2016's are billed as being up to 60% brighter, or something like that, but I'm not sure that I'm seeing it. Thanks.

xmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2016
CA
Just got my tbMBP.
In your opinion is it bad or should I live with it? Photo actually looks better than real life which is weird.
If it's really that red in real life then ya you should exchange it. Just the backlight inconsistency is enough to warrant an exchange. Looks pretty bad.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
If it's really that red in real life then ya you should exchange it. Just the backlight inconsistency is enough to warrant an exchange. Looks pretty bad.

Agree with this.
[doublepost=1483042185][/doublepost]
Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere; between the new MBPs and the new AirPods it's tough to keep up with all the threads ...

Are people finding that 2016 MBP screens are a little warmer than 2012 rMBP screens?

My new 2016 15" MBP with Touch Bar looks perfect as a general matter — no scratches, no inconsistencies with the screen's color or brightness — but I noticed that with the brightness set the same and the desktops both set to a plain white background, my 2012's screen looks whiter than my 2016's.

Not a huge deal; just curious. The 2016's are billed as being up to 60% brighter, or something like that, but I'm not sure that I'm seeing it. Thanks.

I have the 2012 rMBP also and it's screen is whiter than my 2016 15" with Touch Bar, but that is because my new computer has a slight pink on the left to blue on the right color shift somehow making it look like a cooler screen overall (tint is very minimal and at times I don't even notice it). If I put both computers side by side at maximum brightness the new one is very slightly brighter. I prefer the screen on my 2012, but I like the new computer more in every other way. If your screen is even overall you may be able to adjust the white point to make it less warm.

Reactions: jk73 and xmonkey

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
Thanks for the feedback. Playing around with the Calibrate tool on each, I noticed the "native white" for my 2012 is 6,509 while it's 6,602 on my 2016. They still look a little different when both are set at one or the other of those settings, so I guess it's just a matter of different screens looking different.

Also, you're right: My 2016, when set to maximum brightness, is brighter than my 2012, but the 2012 looks brighter when both are set at around 90 percent. This seems odd, but maybe there's an explanation. (I guess the 2016's advertised increased brightness is mostly for when using the MBP outdoors; I certainly don't need more brightness than my 2012's when working indoors.)

athletejmv

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011
Just got my tbMBP.

My screen looks pretty bad too. I think it's inherent of these things. I was going to keep mine (looks similar to yours), but the touch bar is not working properly. Bits and pieces of the touch bar do not come on. It's pretty strange. Once I touch that area of the touch bar when shortcuts disappear, they reappear again. My last MBP 15 I had did not power on out of the box and one before that was randomly resetting. I'm pretty irritated considering Me driving to the Apple Store and back is about a 3-5 hour round trip depending on traffic :-/ This one I have now I ordered online because I was tired of getting bad units in store and didn't want to make another trip. Well, so much for that.
[doublepost=1483081802][/doublepost]
View attachment 679187

View attachment 679188

Is a display uniformity similar from different viewing angles? Because in real life I can't see the yellow top and bottom but the left side has a slightly pink tint and right side has a slightly blue tint

Same color differentiation on mine as well. My screen is more of a yellow and brighter towards the bottom. My previous 2016 15" MBP didn't have this issue, but it was returned due to a bad battery pack from the factory :-/

Alicia1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Gold Coast, Australia
Well after numerous attempts for a good 13" TB MacBook Pro I have given up. All the ones I tried were more yellow at the bottom or had patches of pink and yellow etc.

As I don't need a lot of processing power in a laptop (I have the 5k iMac) I purchased an M5 512gb Rose Gold MacBook and I couldn't be happier, the screen is uniform and white. I wish I had of bought one sooner. I know Apple will probably release a new one in a few months but chances are it will have this P3 screen and after the uniformity issues with the pro I am not taking a chance.

Lenortic577

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
The issue of screen uniformity is very subjective, as always some people can't see a thing, and other's spot it straight away and it drives them crazy. This is not an issue that will resolve itself or get better with time.

Out of the last 3 brand new MBP's (between 2007 and 2013) I've ordered I've returned 2 multiple times until I get a screen I am happy with. Being "happy" with a screen is largely subjective and a personal preference.

I would encourage anyone not 100% happy with their screen to keep swapping screens until you get one you are 100% happy with. Especially with Apple's generous return policies and exchanges.

You are paying a premium for a product. Do not feel guilty about this whatsoever.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
The issue of screen uniformity is very subjective, as always some people can't see a thing, and other's spot it straight away and it drives them crazy. This is not an issue that will resolve itself or get better with time.

Out of the last 3 brand new MBP's (between 2007 and 2013) I've ordered I've returned 2 multiple times until I get a screen I am happy with. Being "happy" with a screen is largely subjective and a personal preference.

I would encourage anyone not 100% happy with their screen to keep swapping screens until you get one you are 100% happy with. Especially with Apple's generous return policies and exchanges.

You are paying a premium for a product. Do not feel guilty about this whatsoever.

Fully agree and I've been through a number of 2016 MBP's in this process, I did manage to get a goos screen but then had over problems like bad keys, dents in the body. Good screens are not far and few between but you risk other defects.

I finally have a screen and MBP that is perfect, the screen is beautifully white, fully uniform and defect free. I am done now however, admittedly, I did go between the nTB and TB thus that didn't help.

Some people have mentioned after a couple of months, where you have the purple hue in the corners, that it'll right itself - not sure about this.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
The issue of screen uniformity is very subjective, as always some people can't see a thing, and other's spot it straight away and it drives them crazy.

Just out of interest, has anyone with a colorimeter (Spyder, i1 pro, Colormunki etc.) put it on the different areas of their uneven display and measured the colour temperature of a white background at the different points to see what the actual objective difference is?

ra004e

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
Just out of interest, has anyone with a colorimeter (Spyder, i1 pro, Colormunki etc.) put it on the different areas of their uneven display and measured the colour temperature of a white background at the different points to see what the actual objective difference is?

I have on both 15" and 13" with x-rite i1 Display Pro. The displays seem to be pretty much in line. No major white point discrepancies, but yet I've still not seen a new display that does not have this issue. I still think it's an issue with the LGs GB-LED backlighting, as my Dell UP2516D exhibits same behavior unless "Display Uniformity" is on in menu, My LG 4k does not do this but there is noway to tell if some sort of display uniformity is active or not. I have personally returned my 2016 purchases as I could not get pass this anomaly. It's a real shame as they're really great machines. I guess we'll have to wait until next rev to see if IGZO or something else is available.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.