Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monkeydax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
Can users of the 2016 15" MBP confirm whether you experience UI Lag like this in Applications window similar to this video? Or comment on what other UI Lag you experience. Feel free to post your own videos too!

monkeydax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
Gotta me something wrong with the new one...as even my 2009 mbp scrolls threw apps np...
You won't experience it on a non retina MBP since it only has 1/4 the number of pixels to drive.

If 2012 rMBP users aren't experiencing this, I don't see how the 2016 HD 530 will be a problem.

KohPhiPhi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2011
I just posted this in another thread, but it also relates to this one:

I received my 2016 Macbook Pro 15" two days ago, and I've been playing with it extensively ever since.

Unfortunately, I do confirm that there is indeed a slight UI lag, both while navigating through the OSX and while scrolling through graph-heavy websites. Last year's model felt smoother :(

I see no point in benefiting from a dGPU 10% of the time while suffering from UI lag the rest of the 90% of the time. I would rather have that ratio inverted, so I'm considering returning the 15" in favor of the 13".

This is unacceptable for a $3,000 machine!

emailnotebox

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2015
Can users of the 2016 15" MBP confirm whether you experience UI Lag like this in Applications window similar to this video? Or comment on what other UI Lag you experience. Feel free to post your own videos too!

That is laggy indeed...

monkeydax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
2016 15" here. Tried the exact same thing shown in the video, but mine is totally smooth.

I just picked up my 15" base model. I tried that in my finder with the app list...no issue, smooth.

Great thanks for that! Seems we're having lots of positive feedback that the problem isn't occurring. How about other UI tasks?

Would anyone be able to do some video comparisons?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
This has most likely nothing to do with the GPU. There is no way the 530 would be too slow to scroll a small buffer like that. Most likely the issue is with streaming the icons from disk or some sort of background task that can't provide the information fast enough.

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
Judging from the identical application list, it may be a time machine restoration issue. I'd recommend to do a clean install (it'll almost certainly fix the issue)

dk808

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2015
This has most likely nothing to do with the GPU. There is no way the 530 would be too slow to scroll a small buffer like that. Most likely the issue is with streaming the icons from disk or some sort of background task that can't provide the information fast enough.
Exactly, i dont understand why people think scrolling in a finder window requires so much gpu power. Its a software issue

monkeydax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
Exactly, i dont understand why people think scrolling in a finder window requires so much gpu power. Its a software issue
It may! Since there's quite some graphics moving involved, same with activating mission control and switching between spaces.
[doublepost=1479627133][/doublepost]
It may! Since there's quite some graphics moving involved, same with activating mission control and switching between spaces.

Still waiting out for some other video comparisons and actually see how dark_mark solves the problem (or not...)

dk808

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2015
[doublepost=1479627133][/doublepost]

Still waiting out for some other video comparisons and actually see how dark_mark solves the problem (or not...)
I doubt it takes that much graphics power to move about 20 icons up and down

monkeydax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
I doubt it takes that much graphics power to move about 20 icons up and down
Yeah I guess I also don't expect it to take that much graphics power, but upon seeing early 2012 rMBP models having some issue, as well as that recent video, makes me wonder a little.

Make Apple Great Again

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2016
Apple has slowly become Windows... offering sub par Laptops, and now it seems like even the software has become like "Windows" in sense it's laggy and glitchy.

There use to be a time when Apple did it's best to ensure the ultimate user experience, giving us ports, portability, and a fluid OS experience, now it's become a company focused on margins and milking it's loyal consumers.

Can't believe this was what people "waited" for for so long... so disappointing especially for the price Apple is asking.

Reactions: Adam Warlock

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

Mission control is very different — it shows live previews of all the windows. So if you have 30-40 windows open (as I usually do) and activate mission control, the system needs to wake wake all the background applications, make them refresh their views, animate the transition to the small window view — while the views are being refreshed, keep redrawing the applications. Thats why you often have this initial stuttering. But even that is not a GPU issue — the actual drawing process is probably among the cheapest components of the process. Setting up the drawing though and keeping those applications active, thats the complicated part. And that has nothing to do with the GPU.

Scrolling is even more trivial. The 530 can run (admittedly older) 3D games, which have infinitely more complex scenes and also much more overdraw. There is no way it would be too slow to copy memory around in that tiny buffer. There is some other difference between the two system that accounts for the choppiness. Maybe some sort of attribute that hits a slow path somewhere, maybe a Finder plugin or something else. Maybe Finder is not caching icons for some reason on the second system, forcing re-load every time you scroll up and down. Without properly accounting for possible factors, we just don't know.

P.S. There was this bug with choppy grid view scrolling in the Dock, which people of course blamed on the GPU. The truth was that the icons were not cached and so every time you scroll past the line, the dock was reloading the icon or creating the thumbnail image (which is an expensive operation, especially if you have a lot of images in the folder). This is very easy to verify btw, by watching the disk activity while you scroll, it always skyrocketed with the grid view. Apple has now solved it by decoupling the drawing and the icon loading. On newer OS X, the icons are loaded lazily, in the background, but they are drawn immediately (as a placeholder if the real image is not yet available). That results in smooth scrolling again.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
Apple has slowly become Windows... offering sub par Laptops, and now it seems like even the software has become like "Windows" in sense it's laggy and glitchy.

There use to be a time when Apple did it's best to ensure the ultimate user experience, giving us ports, portability, and a fluid OS experience, now it's become a company focused on margins and milking it's loyal consumers.

Can't believe this was what people "waited" for for so long... so disappointing especially for the price Apple is asking.

Windows 10 post anniversary update is smooth on the XPS13/15/Surface Book I had.

The UI lag has always existed in one way or another on OS X - I don't think people are scaling it, which is where the issue usually comes in.

Also, large PDFs were a stutter fests on retina MacBooks for the longest time.

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
So interesting to hear this all the time: "it's a software issue", "it's a software issue", "it's a software issue" - since day one this has been the standard answer regarding the laggy retina machines..... and STILL Apple has done nothing to fix it?!?! Well, maybe too many pixels still is to many pixels for a thin portable machine...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.