Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Figured this would have been done by now since the season is long over so here it is.

Fire up the stove it's getting cold somewhere!

Looks like McCain might be traded, the rumors are the Astros are interested.

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Undoubtedly, the biggest players this offseason are the White Sox with potentially two aces, a power hitting third baseman, and at least one reliever on the market.

The Tigers look like they could be headed that way as well.

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Cubs cheated.

discuss.
The Yankees and the Cubs both bent the rules in international signings through a loophole which has since closed. They both have a ton of young talent from this advantage. Teams now that want to rebuild will not have quite as much good fortune.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
The Yankees and the Cubs both bent the rules in international signings through a loophole which has since closed. They both have a ton of young talent from this advantage. Teams now that want to rebuild will not have quite as much good fortune.

he he he.
i was just kidding! no idea about any of that.

wow!

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
McCann has waived his no trade and has agreed to be traded to the Astros for minor league right-handers Albert Abreu and Jorge Guzman.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Not yet mentioned -
Neil Walker accepted the Mets' 17.5M QO and has signed with them for 2017.
Bartolo Colon (AKA Big Bart, Big Sexy) has signed with the Braves
R.A. Dickey has also signed with the Braves

Reactions: pachyderm

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Not yet mentioned -
Neil Walker accepted the Mets' 17.5M QO and has signed with them for 2017.
Bartolo Colon (AKA Big Bart, Big Sexy) has signed with the Braves
R.A. Dickey has also signed with the Braves
The Braves are trying to open their new park with people in the seats.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Unofficial (but reputable) reports have Yoenis Cespedes staying in Queens. Reports are 4 years, $110 Million, full no-trade clause.

So... that's done. Any other major FA's out there still looking for work? Has Bautista signed (not on the Mets' radar anymore)?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
And we have 5 more years of uninterrupted baseball. A new CBA has been reached right at the Dec 1 deadline.
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...union-reach-tentative-deal-new-labor-contract
Sources said the luxury-tax threshold will jump from $189 million to $195 million initially, then gradually increase. Teams that exceed the threshold will pay similar tax rates to the current deal unless they go way over the threshold, in which case their tax rate could jump to as high as 90 percent.

Teams that sign a premium free agent would no longer have to give up a first-round draft pick to the team that lost that player. However, teams with payrolls higher than the luxury-tax threshold would still lose a pick later in the draft. And teams losing those players still would receive a pick.

Some additional fine points to the deal (which covers the 2017-21 seasons), according to ESPN sources:

• Although owners pushed for months to include international players in the amateur draft, they dropped that demand this week, sources said. In its place, teams would work under a revised system of bonus pools that would place a hard cap on how much each club can spend to sign foreign-born players.

• The sides have talked about starting future seasons four or five days earlier than in the past, as a means to give teams more days off during the regular season. The sides also have discussed scheduling more day games when teams face long flights following those games.

• There would be changes to baseball's revenue-sharing formula which would affect both payers and recipients. Details of those changes remain unknown.\

• The sides have discussed numerous changes to the June amateur draft. Those changes could include everything from a revamped slotting system to trading picks. Details have yet to emerge.

• It is expected that tougher penalties will be imposed on players who violate baseball's Joint Drug Agreement. A number of players have spoken publicly about the need for longer suspensions for those who test positive for PEDS.

• Changes also are likely in baseball's domestic-violence policy. Details have yet to emerge.

• The sides have discussed the possibility of playing games outside North America during the regular season in future seasons. It isn't known yet exactly where those games would be scheduled, but commissioner Rob Manfred has said publicly he would like to see regular-season games played in London.
The agreement also would address numerous other issues, from service-time rules to expansion, from replay to pace of game, from meal money to ways to discourage tanking. However, it might be as much as several weeks until all of those changes will be known publicly.

Centaurr

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2015
Florida
NY Mets News:::

*Yoenis Cespedes signed a contract with the Mets, he is staying in Queens, NY:)

*Bryce harper is leaving the Nats, I hope he does so that way the Mets have more of a chance at the World series
Nats are the Mets biggest rival.

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
White Sox trade Chris Sale to the the Red Sox for Yoan Moncada and three other prospects. This looks like it could be a good deal for both teams, as the White Sox are looking to rebuild and the Red Sox need an Ace.

It pains me to have my team trade an ace, but that's really all they have is pitching and they aren't very good.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
White Sox trade Chris Sale to the the Red Sox for Yoan Moncada and three other prospects. This looks like it could be a good deal for both teams, as the White Sox are looking to rebuild and the Red Sox need an Ace.

It pains me to have my team trade an ace, but that's really all they have is pitching and they aren't very good.
While a great pitcher Sale is no saint either and I wonder if he could turn into another Price when he had a melt down. If it pays off The Red Sox will be a great team. But time will tell if the injury bug can stay away.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

boooooooo!!!

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
White Sox just pantsed the Nationals, sending them Adam Eaton for three pitching prospects. Rick Hahn is destroying this offseason.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Chapman is back with the Yankees. 5 years 86 million.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Chapman is back with the Yankees. 5 years 86 million.
What's interesting to me is that the Yankees have (and continue) to build up their farm system to the point where they're looking very strong in the near future. They got a lot for the Chapman trade, and now they get him back.

Conversely, it seems like he redsox are raiding their farm system to get high priced talent. While Sale is an awesome pitcher, I do wonder if the price was too high.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
What's interesting to me is that the Yankees have (and continue) to build up their farm system to the point where they're looking very strong in the near future. They got a lot for the Chapman trade, and now they get him back.

Conversely, it seems like he redsox are raiding their farm system to get high priced talent. While Sale is an awesome pitcher, I do wonder if the price was too high.
To make matters worse the Red Sox only have a 3 year window before a lot of contracts come up and they won't be able to resign everyone. So not only did they drain the farm but the stars are going to be leaving. So they need to win now before they hit a downturn. Meanwhile the Yankees have rebuilt and in a year or 2 will have enough money off of the books to make a run at some huge talent.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Agreed, its a very short term perspective that will leave the team in rough shape shortly.
It's amazing how the Yankees and Red Sox switched roles in how they run their teams. The Yankees are now the ones building for the future and the Rex Sox are building to win now. Everything Red Sox ownership hated about the Yankees they have become.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It's amazing how the Yankees and Red Sox switched roles
Indeed, it was a long process for the Yankees, but they've replenshed their farm system, they're focusing in spending money where it makes sense and are positioning themselves for a long run. Where as the Red Sox are acting like the Yankees of yesteryear moving their young prospects for high priced players that may only give them a few years of actual value

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Indeed, it was a long process for the Yankees, but they've replenshed their farm system, they're focusing in spending money where it makes sense and are positioning themselves for a long run. Where as the Red Sox are acting like the Yankees of yesteryear moving their young prospects for high priced players that may only give them a few years of actual value
Had Price not been a total bust I don't see them making the move for Sale.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.