Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anonymouslurker

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012
The Pats are okay as long as Brady is still playing. It's not often you replace a great QB with another great QB. Sure the Packers struck gold going from Farve to Rodgers and the Niners from the GOAT to Steve Young, but ain't gonna happen for the Pats. Garapolo ain't the QB they're looking for.

Pats already did it, going from Bledsoe to Brady.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Ummm.. I'll still be around next season I hope .
:D

Wha...? hell yeah man, hang out dude.
[doublepost=1455055596][/doublepost]
The Pats are okay as long as Brady is still playing. It's not often you replace a great QB with another great QB. Sure the Packers struck gold going from Farve to Rodgers and the Niners from the GOAT to Steve Young, but ain't gonna happen for the Pats. Garapolo ain't the QB they're looking for.

You have a grudge against Beast Mode? No... It's hatred of the Hawks. I don't particularly care for the Seahawks myself, but Lynch has proven time and again to be a class act. The man doesn't trash talk, doesn't act like a diva. He just plays hard.

I share your dislike for Sherman though.

yeah, sorry, i don't think he is a cool dude. just because conan o'brien likes him doesn't mean i have to, right?

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
but ain't gonna happen for the Pats.
Lightening definitely has to strike twice for the Pats, but I wouldn't just say it will never happen. I don't think Garapolo is the future franchise quarterback, and given the Pats consistent good record, their draft order has been rather low on the list.

I take exception to the Cowboys "needing a quarterback". They will within the next couple of seasons, but most teams don't have two viable quarterbacks.
I think the cowboys are in a unique position where they have a team that can make a viable run for the superbowl - provided Romo is healthy. What he is showing however at this stage of his career is that he's somewhat fragile. They need first and foremost a QB that can step in and win games, something that has not occurred last season. Secondly, given his fragility, they need to consider long term replacements. I think if he wasn't injured so often the discussion about the cowboys needing a Romo replacement would be totally different.

Reactions: pachyderm

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
[doublepost=1455044439][/doublepost]I take exception to the Cowboys "needing a quarterback". They will within the next couple of seasons, but most teams don't have two viable quarterbacks.

I agree. Romo is good. Fragile, but good. Well, seemingly fragile anyway. Lack of protection might be the reason for his rash of injuries, so...

If I were a HC my first pick, unless it was an obvious HT winner, would be the best lineman every year. Then look for skill players.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Pats already did it, going from Bledsoe to Brady.

I think he meant elite QB to another elite QB. Bledsoe had some success with the Patriots from 1993 to 2001 but I wouldn't call him elite. Any Patriots fan would tell you that they were happy they had a relatively stable and consistent QB in Bledsoe but he was definitely replaceable if someone better came along (see: Brady).

td1439

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
Boston-ish
I think he meant elite QB to another elite QB. Bledsoe had some success with the Patriots from 1993 to 2001 but I wouldn't call him elite. Any Patriots fan would tell you that they were happy they had a relatively stable and consistent QB in Bledsoe but he was definitely replaceable if someone better came along (see: Brady).

Yep. Drew was a good QB, had a solid season in '96 when they went to the SB, but never had a season-long QB rating above 88 or so while with New England. Probably best remembered for filling in and playing reasonably well when Brady got hurt in the '01 AFCCG.

Re: Garrapolo - I think he may be a good QB when he gets his shot - whether that's with New England or not, who knows. He's certainly being given time to learn the game, which is more than most QB's coming into the league get. On the flip side, his actual snaps have been extremely limited, and that's likely hampering said growth.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't know about elite, but Bledsoe went to the superbowl and its kind of crazy for you to replace someone with some great talent (and no one can deny that he had a lot of talent), to another QB who took them to the SuperBowl 6 times (and won it 4).

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Personally, I'm hoping the Saints can gel all the new guys they picked up last year, and play as strongly as they finished out last season. I know it was "a building year," but you have to leave something upon which to build, and they just cleaned out too much at once.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I don't know about elite, but Bledsoe went to the superbowl and its kind of crazy for you to replace someone with some great talent (and no one can deny that he had a lot of talent), to another QB who took them to the SuperBowl 6 times (and won it 4).

That almost doesn't happen, we can all agree that the Patriots got extremely lucky with Brady but the original comment was who's up next for the Patriots? It's rare to move from an elite QB to another potential elite QB, never mind the Brady situation. Jimmy Garoppolo does not look like franchise QB. He may come in and have some success but I don't think he's going to be a QB where the Patriots look to him to carry the torch after Brady retires. He's not expected to come in have make the Super Bowl six times, but he will be expected to be in the playoffs and myself and I'm sure others don't see that - I see a lot of 7-9, 8-8 records, maybe even less and I don't expect many 10+ win seasons with him. Time will tell. Any given Sunday right?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
All things being equal, I think its probably smarter for the Eagles Redskins to tag Cousins this year and see how he does. He just doesn't have the body of work to get a big contract.

In other news, it looks like Jarod Mayo, too bad, though he was injured a lot lately. I wonder if the Patriots were telling him that his days may be numbered in New England.

Last edited:
Reactions: AustinIllini

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
All things being equal, I think its probably smarter for the Eagles to tag Cousins this year and see how he does. He just doesn't have the body of work to get a big contract.

In other news, it looks like Jarod Mayo, too bad, though he was injured a lot lately. I wonder if the Patriots were telling him that his days may be numbered in New England.

I'm assuming you meant that the Redskins will put a franchise tag on Kirk Cousins?

Reactions: AustinIllini

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
All things being equal, I think its probably smarter for the Eagles Redskins to tag Cousins this year and see how he does. He just doesn't have the body of work to get a big contract.

Unless they restructure a lot of their current contracts or decide to cut some players, I don't think it's possible to slap the franchise tag. I think the figure for QB's is 20 million, the Redskins have about 13 million in cap space for 2016?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Unless they restructure a lot of their current contracts or decide to cut some players,
That will happen, regardless of the franchise tag. They're in cap hell if they can't free up room and I expect them to cut some high cost players.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
That will happen, regardless of the franchise tag. They're in cap hell if they can't free up room and I expect them to cut some high cost players.

Priority has to be RG3. His cap hit is 16 million that can only be relieved by cutting him. That alone would get the Redskins the cap room to take care of Cousins if they decide to tag him. Obviously a long-term deal would be a lot more cap friendly but getting rid of RG3's contract off the books would give the 'Skins their much needed cap room.

Perhaps they could borrow some money from the Jaguars or Raiders who both have 75+ million in cap space. :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Everyone knows RG3 will be gone. It makes no sense to keep him on the payroll. Why the Redskins exercised his option in 2014 (for the 2015 year) is beyond me. Even if Cousin's didn't turn out to be a great player, hey should have parted ways with RG3 in 2014

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I agree. Romo is good. Fragile, but good. Well, seemingly fragile anyway. Lack of protection might be the reason for his rash of injuries, so...

If I were a HC my first pick, unless it was an obvious HT winner, would be the best lineman every year. Then look for skill players.

I don't think its lack of protection, Cowboys have had arguably the best offensive line in football the last 2.5 years or so.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I don't think its lack of protection, Cowboys have had arguably the best offensive line in football the last 2.5 years or so.

So you think it might be because of Romo burping the baby (ie. holding on to the ball too long)? I don't watch the Cowboys games so I wouldn't know. IMO, it probably poor coaching. Look at the other QB's that failed in the Cowboys' system yet found some success elsewhere. Weeden went 2-0 with the Texans and its inferior O-line. I believe he was 0-6 with the Cowboys.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Rams cut James Laurinaitis, Chris Long and Jared Cook to free up $24 million. Rams now have almost $60 million in cap room. Les Snead better be thinking of something big if he needed to cut those players to free up that much cap space.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Rams cut James Laurinaitis,
Looks like Laurinaitis was shocked at hearing this, as reported they had reached out to him earlier to see if he wanted to be part of the LA promotional stuff. They didn't even ask if was willing to take a pay cut. He's young enough that he'll land on his feet somewhere.

The Rams were not a very good team last year and while making cap space is a necessary evil in today's NFL, I think they made the wrong decision in this case.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Looks like Laurinaitis was shocked at hearing this, as reported they had reached out to him earlier to see if he wanted to be part of the LA promotional stuff. They didn't even ask if was willing to take a pay cut. He's young enough that he'll land on his feet somewhere.

The Rams were not a very good team last year and while making cap space is a necessary evil in today's NFL, I think they made the wrong decision in this case.

I agree. Jared Cook I knew was going to get cut. Chris Long was on the bubble, with the chance he might be back with a pay cut as he indicated he would be willing to. Laurinaitis was a shocker to me. I didn't know, nor did I read anywhere that was even being looked at as a cap casualty. People will bring up his numbers, aside from tackles, he didn't really do anything. Well when you have a front four like the Rams do, the linebackers don't have much to do.

It's a shame. It would have been nice to go into next year with Ogletree, Laurinaitis and Barron (hybrid) as the linebackers. Now looking at who's available. The only person I see that can potentially come in and anchor the middle is Danny Trevathan. The only question is whether or not he's a big upgrade over Laurinaitis since their salaries are in the ballpark. If not, looks like the Rams will need to look for a MLB/ILB in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.