Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalm3

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
SoCal
Since getting my 15" MBP I've noticed sporadic bluetooth dropouts and I think it occurs more often with the # of devices connected. For instance my Magic 2 Keyboard will randomly get stuck typing or my Magic 2 TrackPad will stop responding and my AirPods can't stay connected for more than a few seconds/minutes. If I plug in my Keyboard and TrackPad to USB the AirPods perform perfectly. I've tried this with 2 different Keyboards and TrackPads, also this is exactly the same setup I used for years on my 2011 MBP with zero troubles.

I've tried to reset NVRAM and SMC but that didn't help at all. I think I will have to take it into Apple but I thought I would ask if there's anything else I should try first?

Reactions: patrickplaggenborg

digitalm3

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
SoCal
Well after opening a case with Apple we created a new user account and I didn't experience any BT dropout for two days. The interesting part is the moment I enabled iCloud in the new user profile the symtoms reoccurred immediately. I ended up taking everything to the local Apple Store where they ran some diagnostics and decided to return it and ordered me a new one. Unfortunately I received the new one Monday and started experiencing identical problems, mind both machines were built clean and not restored from backup. If I disable iCloud everything seems to be fine but the moment I re-enable it BT goes to crap. I suspect it has something to do with the synchronization process for AirPods and your iCloud enable devices but I'm still working with Apple. Something else to note, I used the same gear on my 2012 Mini while waiting for the new MBP (approx two weeks) and never had a single dropout. I will post any additional findings as I find them just incase anyone else experiences this problem.

digitalm3

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
SoCal
So I have given up on Apple support and I hope someone here might be able to shed some light. I have narrowed down my issue to Continuity / Handoff, when it's disabled I have zero Bluetooth issues. I have opened several tickets hoping to get a more senior engineer but every one want to go through the same troubleshooting I've done many times or replace the laptop which they've done once. I was hoping it would get fixed with the updates they've released so far. My older mac's don't exhibit these issues using the same BT devices, I can live without it but I worry what I'll be missing as new features come out.

Things I've done so far:

Reset SMC/Pram
Create new user profile
Clean install OS (no restore from time machine)
Remove all paired Bluetooth devices from all macOS, iOS devices

Reactions: You are the One

hussainh1

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2014
So I have given up on Apple support and I hope someone here might be able to shed some light. I have narrowed down my issue to Continuity / Handoff, when it's disabled I have zero Bluetooth issues. I have opened several tickets hoping to get a more senior engineer but every one want to go through the same troubleshooting I've done many times or replace the laptop which they've done once. I was hoping it would get fixed with the updates they've released so far. My older mac's don't exhibit these issues using the same BT devices, I can live without it but I worry what I'll be missing as new features come out.

Things I've done so far:

Reset SMC/Pram
Create new user profile
Clean install OS (no restore from time machine)
Remove all paired Bluetooth devices from all macOS, iOS devices

I'm having this same issue, they offered to replace my computer, so I ordered a new one, but the day I set it up the issue happened again on the new one, so I boxed it up and sent it back. I also thought perhaps it was tied to my early release LG 5K monitors, so I just replaced those as well.

I'm not quite sure what to do at this point, but it is more than annoying to be experiencing the Bluetooth dropouts every day. I'll be in the middle of an email or some data entry, and it'll be a 30 second or 1 minute drop.

I've probably opened 15 different support tickets, and used any pull I have with Apple Business to rectify the issue. Just hoping for a software fix in the future or even a hardware one.

digitalm3

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
SoCal
Omg I thought I was the only one, I haven't seen another report like this. I was worried about the 5k monitors too but I remembered having the issue before I got them. I read the latest release was supposed to have a BT fix and was disappointed when this wasn't fixed. I pray someone will find an answer...

hussainh1

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2014
That's the great thing about these online communities. I've gone through level 2 support, uploaded logs for engineering etc. I've got to think apple is working to fix this with quickness.

digitalm3

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
SoCal
Thanks for letting me know, the ppl I talked to had no interest in my logs which I found extremely odd. The last guy I spoke to I ended up hanging up on because he had no interest in the issue and went as far as saying that's why he doesn't use cloud services. Really strange coming from an Apple employee definitely not a typical experience.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Maybe you could file it as an OS bug (using the developer report tool)? Btw, maybe it's possible to track the issue down to a specific BT device, e.g. if you would unpair device X the problem disappears?

digitalm3

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
SoCal
Thanks for the tips, I've tried removing / using countless BT gear none of which have problems with 2 other Mini's. You can see the exact moment in the logs when Handoff starts and losing the Keyboad/Trackpad. I've seen it coming from both Mac's and even my Apple Watch. It sucks because neither of my Mini's have these symptoms using the same BT gear. So it would seem to be specifically related to the 2016 laptop (2 different ones) in my case.

Last edited:

hussainh1

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2014
Maybe you could file it as an OS bug (using the developer report tool)? Btw, maybe it's possible to track the issue down to a specific BT device, e.g. if you would unpair device X the problem disappears?

I've tried it with different BT products and unpairing and repairing. Still presents. Even all my BT devices are Apple products, ie. Magic Keyboard, Magic Trackpad, etc.

kingjames1970

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
Hampshire, UK
Thanks for the tips, I've tried removing / using countless BT gear none of which have problems with 2 other Mini's. You can see the exact moment in the logs when Handoff starts and losing the Keyboad/Trackpad. I've seen it coming from both Mac's and even my Apple Watch. It sucks because neither of my Mini's have these symptoms using the same BT gear. So it would seem to be specifically related to the 2016 laptop (2 different ones) in my case.

I had the same problem (and got teared apart on here at the time!). Went in for repair and they said they couldn't find anything. But is hasn't happened since, I suspect they did fix it somehow but no idea how. Like many I waited too long cause I thought it might be my 5K. So, no answer I'm afraid but you're definitely not alone.

hussainh1

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2014
I had the same problem (and got teared apart on here at the time!). Went in for repair and they said they couldn't find anything. But is hasn't happened since, I suspect they did fix it somehow but no idea how. Like many I waited too long cause I thought it might be my 5K. So, no answer I'm afraid but you're definitely not alone.

Thanks for the commiseration, it is appreciated. I had to take Bluetooth devices with me to the Apple Store and wait with my "Genius" for the issue to present, it was an arduous process at best. That's when they said ok, we will let you return your computer even though it's outside the normal return window and order a new one. I explained that I couldn't be without my computer for work, so they said I'd have to spend $3-4k on the new one, wait for it to arrive (BTO) and then return my old one. It was a hassle and in the end the new one had the exact same issue.

kingjames1970

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
Hampshire, UK
Thanks for the commiseration, it is appreciated. I had to take Bluetooth devices with me to the Apple Store and wait with my "Genius" for the issue to present, it was an arduous process at best. That's when they said ok, we will let you return your computer even though it's outside the normal return window and order a new one. I explained that I couldn't be without my computer for work, so they said I'd have to spend $3-4k on the new one, wait for it to arrive (BTO) and then return my old one. It was a hassle and in the end the new one had the exact same issue.

Exactly the same as me! Except I didn't order the new one for return as I fell back onto my iMac. Strange/annoying that there are clearly cases here and they're not tying them together and dealing with it. Just stings as they are so expensive now.

Reactions: WatchFromAfar

hussainh1

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2014
At this point, it's hampering my productivity to the degree that if a new MBP is released with updated specs, I'll end up ordering and either selling my current MBP or replacing one of my other machines with it. What's sad is that I still have my 2015 MBP and it works like a dream, I'm using it in clamshell mode so I don't even experience the upgrades such as new keyboard or touch ID anyway. I have this in my home office, it's sad that I look forward to working at home more than at work because of the machine itself.

hussainh1

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2014
I have the developer beta so you'd think if there was a Bluetooth software issue, they could address it ASAP since the machine was introduced last autumn.

Colin8

macrumors member
May 12, 2014
I seem to have an issue where the bluetooth audio completely, I mean completely, breaks up when I plug in an external (USBC) HDD. I can't listen to any music when it's plugged in, which is a big issue. Anyone else got this problem?

digitalm3

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
SoCal
At this point, it's hampering my productivity to the degree that if a new MBP is released with updated specs, I'll end up ordering and either selling my current MBP or replacing one of my other machines with it. What's sad is that I still have my 2015 MBP and it works like a dream, I'm using it in clamshell mode so I don't even experience the upgrades such as new keyboard or touch ID anyway. I have this in my home office, it's sad that I look forward to working at home more than at work because of the machine itself.

I'm with you, it had some growing pains but I really do like this laptop. However if this doesn't get fixed I will probably end up swapping it out for the new one later this year. I work with it in clamshell mode mostly too and I would love to see a touchID keyboard, I pray that happens with the new iMac release :)

patrickplaggenborg

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2015
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Hmm. I’m experiencing similar problems for months! Haven’t worked out a solution yet, and it's killing my productivity.

I’ve also posted my break down in this support thread:
https://discussions.apple.com//thread/7780518?start=0&tstart=0&replyId=31081001

MacBook Pro 2016 with Touch Bar. Latest MacOS Sierra.

- Bluetooth Apple Magic Keyboard
- Bluetooth Apple Magic Trackpad
- Bluetooth Beats Solo3 headphones with W1 chip
- Bluetooth BeatsX headphones with W1 chip (same problem)
- Connected through WiFi 5Ghz network

I can use my setup just fine, listening to Spotify, doing work. Nothing is wrong. Other than my WiFi internet connection seems a bit unresponsive or slow at times. But then again, a few minutes later it works fine and speedy.

But...

When using my MacBook Pro to do calls (Skype with/without screensharing, FaceTime or Handoff calls using my iPhone) and my Bluetooth Headphones with mic to talk:

- keyboard starts disconnecting
- trackpad starts disconnecting
- sometimes even my headphones disconnect
- sound connection drops out for a few seconds

This is getting worse when I browse to any website during the call. I get an immediate drop.

It seems like it's something between wifi/bluetooth at the same time:

- wifi connection use, the more bandwidth I use, my bluetooth connection drops
- bluetooth two-way use. ACC codec (one way) less of a problem. SCO codec (two-way using mic during calls) more of a problem

My workaround right now, during calls:

- do not touch my bluetooth keyboard, or keyboard connection will drop
- do not touch my bluetooth trackpad, or trackpad connection will drop
- use internal macbook keyboard and trackpad instead
- do not use internet or browse websites, or skype/facetime/call connection will drop or go silent

When using my Bluetooth headset Beats Solo3, I noticed slower and unresponsive website browsing as well.

For me it looks like it definitely is something between WiFi+Bluetooth.

- When I disable bluetooth entirely in MacOS: internet is snappy and super fast.
- When I disable WiFi and use an Ethernet cable for internet connection, internet is super fast and bluetooth connections are sold, with no disconnection of my keyboard, trackpad or headphones

I haven't been able to easily reproduce with a few exact steps. However, it's happening every single day.

Trying to reproduce it on my older MacBook Pro Retina 2012 as well, but wasn't successful yet. No dropouts there. I do have iCloud enabled and use Handoff calls succesfully.

Anyone tried their same setup on the latest MacBook Pro 2017 yet?

Reactions: You are the One

patrickplaggenborg

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2015
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Hmm indeed, it does seem to be related to Handoff as well.

- I have both my MacBook Pro 2016 Touch Bar + MacBook Pro Retina 2012 on my desk.
- I was working on my MacBook Pro 2016
- I copied some text
- Suddenly I saw the 'Pasting from Mac xxxx' popup on my MacBook Pro 2012
- Almost immediately I saw 'Bluetooth Keyboard disconnected' on my MacBook Pro 2016
- The 'Pasting from...' popup on the 2012 finished and dissapeared.
- A few seconds later I saw 'Bluetooth Keyboard connected'

Not sure how iCloud/handoff copy/pasting works exactly.

As far as I know you need to be on the same network. Maybe on the same WiFi. And bluetooth might need to be enabled as well.

So both WiFi and Bluetooth might be activated at that time. It was very obvious, almost perfectly at the same time.

So...

The difficult thing here is, I'm finding it difficult to reproduce this. For example to show Apple.

Is there anything you do that trigger these connection drops 100% of the times?

hussainh1

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2014
Hmm. I’m experiencing similar problems for months! Haven’t worked out a solution yet, and it's killing my productivity.

I’ve also posted my break down in this support thread:
https://discussions.apple.com//thread/7780518?start=0&tstart=0&replyId=31081001

MacBook Pro 2016 with Touch Bar. Latest MacOS Sierra.

- Bluetooth Apple Magic Keyboard
- Bluetooth Apple Magic Trackpad
- Bluetooth Beats Solo3 headphones with W1 chip
- Bluetooth BeatsX headphones with W1 chip (same problem)
- Connected through WiFi 5Ghz network

I can use my setup just fine, listening to Spotify, doing work. Nothing is wrong. Other than my WiFi internet connection seems a bit unresponsive or slow at times. But then again, a few minutes later it works fine and speedy.

But...

When using my MacBook Pro to do calls (Skype with/without screensharing, FaceTime or Handoff calls using my iPhone) and my Bluetooth Headphones with mic to talk:

- keyboard starts disconnecting
- trackpad starts disconnecting
- sometimes even my headphones disconnect
- sound connection drops out for a few seconds

This is getting worse when I browse to any website during the call. I get an immediate drop.

It seems like it's something between wifi/bluetooth at the same time:

- wifi connection use, the more bandwidth I use, my bluetooth connection drops
- bluetooth two-way use. ACC codec (one way) less of a problem. SCO codec (two-way using mic during calls) more of a problem

My workaround right now, during calls:

- do not touch my bluetooth keyboard, or keyboard connection will drop
- do not touch my bluetooth trackpad, or trackpad connection will drop
- use internal macbook keyboard and trackpad instead
- do not use internet or browse websites, or skype/facetime/call connection will drop or go silent

When using my Bluetooth headset Beats Solo3, I noticed slower and unresponsive website browsing as well.

For me it looks like it definitely is something between WiFi+Bluetooth.

- When I disable bluetooth entirely in MacOS: internet is snappy and super fast.
- When I disable WiFi and use an Ethernet cable for internet connection, internet is super fast and bluetooth connections are sold, with no disconnection of my keyboard, trackpad or headphones

I haven't been able to easily reproduce with a few exact steps. However, it's happening every single day.

Trying to reproduce it on my older MacBook Pro Retina 2012 as well, but wasn't successful yet. No dropouts there. I do have iCloud enabled and use Handoff calls succesfully.

Anyone tried their same setup on the latest MacBook Pro 2017 yet?

I had the same issues with my 2016 tbMBP, just ordered the 2017 so I'll let you know in a couple weeks when it arrives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.