Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

semihunaldi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2017
I have bought a configured MacBook Pro 15" 2016 with touch bar. Base model + 512GB SSD.
It is my first Mac computer(s). I've only used an iPhone and a iPad before and such an experience with brand new 3000 USD laptop makes me want to puke.

After 3 days of using it, It started to make some weird noises inside when I tap it.
Also It had the out of the box scratch under the right speaker. (image below)

I returned it immediately and went to a Apple Store to buy new one with the 512GB SSD model without configuration. (MLH42 model)
The new one had the infamous keyboard key sticking and high-pitched noise. (at "5" key)

After all of this frustration I went to Apple Store again for replacement.
And it takes us today. I'm writing from the 3rd replacement MacBook Pro 2016 and this also has the key sticking and It is much worse. (at keys "caps lock" and "TAB" )

Also this 3rd replacement machine already has 5 battery cycles. (I don't know if It is normal.)

And again also, this 3rd one came with the latest OS X. The first 2 needed an update.
I'm afraid of that it is a used one.(checked warranty with serial number from apple's website, It looks like normal)

UPDATE:
I have just realised that this 3rd machine has the Click / Crack Noise from the right side of the laptop.
It's the exact same sound which user rTHIS posted. I linked his video below.

I think I had all possible 2016 MBP issues. Oh wait! the sleep/wake issue that #2 mentioned.
Fingers crossed for that for the next replacement "If I will have one" :)

UPDATE 2 (5 JAN 2017):
I went to Apple Store again today, and guess what happened ! I requested an another replacemet device and luckily there was 1 in stock, so I returned the "old" one and bought the 4th Macbook Pro.
That 4th device was mine for only like 3 minutes, I unboxed It at Apple Store and the first thing I checked is the wierd sound coming inside when I tap and It was there again. Oh such a disappointment. I immediately returned it and that was it folks, I will never buy this model again. NEVER !!!

I will wait until Apple comes up with early or mid 2017's.

You can see the related videos below.

--------
Scratch image of the first MacBook.
IMG_4963.jpg

--------
Loose parts issue. Weird noise.

--------
Key sticking issue.

--------
Click / Crack Noise from rTHIS user's video. (I have the same issue. at 0:07)

Last edited:

JustinRP37

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2016
New York, NY
This is making me want to just ask for a refund. I shipped my first MacBook Pro back because it was having a sleep/wake issue. All these problems are adding up though, and I have been using Macs for ages! I am hoping that my next one comes quickly and without the problems. The first one also had 4 charge cycles on it, which is very odd for an Apple product. Normally I receive them at 0 or 1.

Reactions: semihunaldi

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
No, a brand new replacement shouldn't have 5 battery cycles. Sorry you're having such bad luck. After three attempts I'd probably give up and opt for a refund.

GCMD

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014
If you take it to the Apple store and tell them all you've gone through, I'm sure someone will help you and you may get something for free...at least, let's hope so.

Sorry you've had such rotten experiences.

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
So sorry about this, I went through over -5- iPhone 5's due to dust in the camera when it first came out (from launch day iPhone to one months later), forced me to go to Android when the 5S came out. Sometimes Apple just really drops the ball on the first launch. (Burned me again when my 6+ got touch disease). I really do believe Apple has gone downhill in the last couple of years, but because I cannot stand the alternatives to it i'm stuck with it.

fpenta

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2016
So sorry for you. I just got my 15" two days ago and don't have any problem. Maybe a production batch problem?

fpenta

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2016
Makes me want to wait on buying a new one!

I was in the same situation. I returned two refurbished 2015 but I decided to take the risk and got my 15" 2.9/1TB/460 two days ago and it's perfect! No issues at all. Just unplugged the power and time remaining is 9:47 hours with Safari and Spotify running :)

Last edited:

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
I feel the disappointment. Im actually on my 5th (that's right 5th) replacement of the 15" 2.9 ghz 1tb/460 tbMBP and it's having graphics issues, sticking keys and the current one I have (got it today!) also has the loose sound!!!! WTH Apple?! Why are these issues ubiquitous?

semihunaldi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2017
I feel the disappointment. Im actually on my 5th (that's right 5th) replacement of the 15" 2.9 ghz 1tb/460 tbMBP and it's having graphics issues, sticking keys and the current one I have (got it today!) also has the loose sound!!!! WTH Apple?! Why are these issues ubiquitous?
OMG FIFTH :) That's hell of a patience. I personally should have been given up at second replacement fail.
As I realize now, seeking the perfect device is meaningless with this batch of MBP's.

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
OMG FIFTH :) That's hell of a patience. I personally should have been given up at second replacement fail.
As I realize now, seeking the perfect device is meaningless with this batch of MBP's.

I keep trying because I LOVE this laptop. I am done though and I'm officially returning it on the 14th day.

monstermac77

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2007

Can you look up the manufacturing date for your current machine? If you download Coconut Battery, it'll be listed.

Reactions: seeforyourself

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
Horrible experience.

What's worse? I remember in the early 2000s when Apple's return policy was not consumer friendly at all (no returns).

Get a refund and wait for a new model. I reckon this is part of the risk involved with buying into a redesigned model.

monstermac77

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2007

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
No, a brand new replacement shouldn't have 5 battery cycles. Sorry you're having such bad luck. After three attempts I'd probably give up and opt for a refund.
Actually it's quite normal to have a few cycles on a new MBP once in a while, they pull a few off the line for battery QC and you simply happened on one of those.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
In all my life (and I have owned iPhones, iPads, MacBook Pros, an iMac and Mac Minis, including the 2016 MacBook Pro - a total of maybe 50 Apple devices combined over that time - and I never had to return an item due to quality control. But then, I'm not OCD either.

So when I hear these "I returned xxx 4 times" stories, I get suspicious. I can see it happening one time on occasion, defects happen, but 4 returns???

What are you people doing to these things?

Reactions: WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

monstermac77

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2007
In all my life (and I have owned iPhones, iPads, MacBook Pros, an iMac and Mac Minis, including the 2016 MacBook Pro - a total of maybe 50 Apple devices combined over that time - and I never had to return an item due to quality control. But then, I'm not OCD either.

So when I hear these "I returned xxx 4 times" stories, I get suspicious. I can see it happening one time on occasion, defects happen, but 4 returns???

There's actually a number of people who have been through 3-4 2016 models for the key click issue: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...d-clicking-sound.2022399/page-8#post-24185297

wittyphrase

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2017
New York

I'm not a really picky person about stuff with minor dings or scratches, but I had to exchange a 15" MBP today. I bought the base model last week and decided to upgrade today. Exchanged it, got the new back to my office and right after I restored I noticed the same damn scratches under the speakers people had been talking about. Then as I closed the lid I noticed a ding and some smudges on it. They were all minor and didn't seem to be affecting it in any way, but as I thought about it I decided that for $3000 it needed to be flawless. So I brought it back, got a new one, opened it in the store and the associate and I combed over it with her phones flashlight to be sure it was clean.

If there are in fact bad batches and people keep going back to the same store it would seem to make sense that they'd keep getting a number of the "bad copies."

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
My trackpad has the same rattling noise as here - also the back bottom of the monitor was creaking - mainly when you pressed it but it would let out a loud creek whilst working on the computer too. I sent it off for repair, it got a new monitor and an entire new top panel and battery for the track pad issue. 5 days later and the trackpad is rattling again!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.