Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Honda has announced its 2017 CR-V, compatible with CarPlay and Android Auto, goes on sale today at dealerships in the United States. The fifth-generation SUV has a suggested starting price of $24,045.

2017_Honda_CR_V_032.jpg

CarPlay and Android Auto are available on a 7-inch touchscreen built into the dashboard on select trims. The 2017 CR-V joins the 2016 and later Accord, 2016 and later Civic, 2016 Clarity Fuel Cell Sedan, 2017 Pilot, and 2017 Ridgeline among Honda's CarPlay-supported vehicles in the United States.

CarPlay brings Maps, Phone, Messages, Music, Podcasts, and a number of third-party apps, such as Spotify, to a vehicle's dashboard. Apple's in-car software platform can be controlled with Siri and your vehicle's built-in controls for convenient access to common iPhone features. It is compatible with iPhone 5 and later models.

Article Link: 2017 Honda CR-V With CarPlay Launches Today

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
Looks to be a great vehicle, if a little underpowered. I'm probably going suggest my wife test drive one since her old X5 is really on the fritz.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
The 2017 CR-V joins the 2016 and later Accord, 2016 and later Civic, 2016 Clarity Fuel Cell Sedan, 2017 Pilot, and 2017 Ridgeline among Honda's CarPlay-supported vehicles in the United States.

Is it wireless CarPlay?

I have used CarPlay for a while now, and the overall experience has not been great. It is not a factory unit, but an aftermarket unit, not sure if that makes a difference.

The system just seems so buggy, and when it works, it is not anything that impressive. It has very limited apps to use, and is slow at times.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
yes i actually prefer it too. does that work?
No, I wished it did.

The only apps that I use that work with CarPlay are Pandora, phone, and messages. They are limited at what they can do.

I wouldn't recommend anyone paying anything extra for CarPlay, maybe if it was wireless. I have no idea why it can't be wireless now, other than hardware limitations. It does very simple things.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Crappy car from a mediocre company launches with a crappy feature that Apple hasn't dropped yet.

Which part of this is desirable?

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Did notice that the announcement said integration of voice based search and navigation functionality from your phone...

"The CR-V 's Display Audio system is compatible with the Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ platforms, giving customers seamless integration of key smartphone features and functions, including smartphone-powered GPS navigation and voice-controlled search capabilities"

Crappy car from a mediocre company launches with a crappy feature that Apple hasn't dropped yet.

Gosh it sounds awful. Honda must be on the edge of bankruptcy...

Oh that's right, they're not. They're known for selling reliable cars that just run, which is why they're at the top of the (U.S. at least) market along with Toyota.

For those that want a reliable small SUV, then this probably fits their wants pretty well. Nice to see the tech getting spread everywhere.

Last edited:

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I'm assuming this isn't wireless Carplay, otherwise wireless would have been specifically mentioned (?).

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Maybe you are missing the point.

I know that some are wireless, but why not all? Why is it taking so long?
Ah... I see. I did not get that from your post at all.

It does add to cost, so that may be part of it. The BMW system uses BT to setup/configure then communicates over wifi in the car for the Carplay signal. So you would need both a BT and wifi chipset in the device. BMW does it with a wifi unit that is separate from the head unit.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
yes i actually prefer it too. does that work?
Not in my experience, no. I would love for someone else to chime in and prove me wrong.

CarPlay for me provides no functionality except easier access to Siri. I personally never use it. YMMV.

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky

Either you're trolling or just misinformed... I can't tell. Honda is having a breakthrough year and leads the industry in many categories. The new CR-V already has loads of awards before it even hit the showrooms. Historically their vehicles have legendary reliability, excellent fuel economy, sporty manners, and ridiculously high resale value. Their $20k Civic is capable of autonomous cruising, braking, and lane-keeping. Apple CarPlay is a decent feature that will get better over time, and it sure as heck beats out a lot of infotainment systems in cars these days (especially Honda's, which is one of their few weak spots).

Last edited:

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Ah... I see. I did not get that from your post at all.

It does add to cost, so that may be part of it. The BMW system uses BT to setup/configure then communicates over wifi in the car for the Carplay signal. So you would need both a BT and wifi chipset in the device. BMW does it with a wifi unit that is separate from the head unit.

Sorry about that.

That is all true about BMW, but it doesn't explain why VW has wireless CarPlay capable vehicles right now but Apple won't let them use it, or even show it off.

This might be a little technically above my head, but I don't understand why CarPlay cannot work over Bluetooth. Maybe it is bandwidth, but CarPlay doesn't seem to do anything that is bandwidth intensive. If CarPlay used BT, then that could bring wireless CarPlay to cars that currenly only have wired CarPlay.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
Not in my experience, no. I would love for someone else to chime in and prove me wrong.

CarPlay for me provides no functionality except easier access to Siri. I personally never use it. YMMV.
What kind of car? Some cars already have decent systems in them. Honda's are pretty clunky, so I'd say CarPlay is a more welcome addition in their case.

I don't own a CarPlay-equipped vehicle, but I drove a rental Chevy Impala for a couple months and highly preferred CarPlay to it's built-in system.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014

I have CarPlay, and I use Waze. Waze is not supported by CarPlay.

As for CarPlay providing Functionality, you are basically right, It doesn't add much. It has Pandora, but basically every headunit does now.

It give you Siri, but since Siri doesn't always work that well, so this might be a negative.

That is why I think CarPlay is very overrated. Maybe in the future it might get better, and it seems like it has so much potential, but as of right now, it is not anything special.

Reactions: v0lume4

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal

then carplay must suck.

seriously siri is so bad.

where are those "i wont buy a car if it doesn't have carplay" folks?

SHOW yourself!

dsraj

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2015
does carplay let you use Google Maps instead?

It's not CarPlay's limitation. Google hasn't built the compatibility yet and I don't think they'll do it anytime soon. Since they also own Waze, that's unlikely too.

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
Looking to pick up either a Charger for myself or a Odyssey for the wife in the next year or so. Charger finally has CarPlay in the 2017 models, still not seeing anything about it for the 2017 Odyssey. Maybe Honda is saving that for the rumored 2018 redesign?

It's not CarPlay's limitation. Google hasn't built the compatibility yet and I don't think they'll do it anytime soon. Since they also own Waze, that's unlikely too.

That's the way I understand it too. The Google and Waze apps need to be updated to support CarPlay, but the app developers don't seem to be interested in doing so. It is not Apple keeping them from working as far as I understand it. I think Apple only keeps stuff like video playing apps, or games apps from working with CarPlay (which I don't necessarily agree with).

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014

Maybe this is true, but I doubt it.

Firstly, they have Waze for the iOS, so making it for CarPlay to potentially expand their user base seems like something they would want to do.

Secondly, there is like hardly anything that is CarPlay compatible, if there were a bunch of apps for CarPlay, then I would likely agree with you and blame it on Waze, but considering there is like only a dozen of apps available for CP, then I would most likely put the blame on Apple.

Maybe they want people to suffer and use their Maps App?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.