Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will switch to an all-glass casing for next year's entire iPhone lineup in order to support wireless charging, with Pegatron being the exclusive supplier of the wireless charger. That's according to the latest research note by KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo obtained by MacRumors.

According to Kuo, the transition from metal to glass casing is key if Apple is to introduce a wireless charging feature in the 2017 iPhone. While patented engineering solutions do exist for wirelessly charging devices with metal cases, issues with wireless frequency tolerances for metal alloys can limit the speed at which charging takes place. On top of that, it is widely believed that Jony Ive has wanted to introduce an iPhone that looks like a single sheet of glass for several years.

iphoneconceptimage.jpg
iPhone concept image via ConceptsiPhone
We believe one of the reasons why new iPhones will switch from metal casing to glass casing is to support wireless charging. In order to ensure a superior performance, we believe it is most appropriate for EMS suppliers to develop and make the wireless charger because then a comprehensive test can be conducted. As Hon Hai needs to deploy most resources to develop and produce OLED iPhone, we expect Pegatron will be the exclusive supplier of the wireless charger.
Kuo remains uncertain whether a wireless charger will be bundled with all new iPhones, but expects at least some models to be next year, with wider availability by 2018.

Kuo last week claimed that Apple will release 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch model iPhones with LCD screens as well as an all-new OLED model with a dual-lens camera. Kuo previously said Apple will launch a 5.8-inch iPhone with a curved OLED display and glass casing next year. He later said that model will have a 5.1-inch to 5.2-inch active touchscreen area. Barclays analysts said it will have a bezel-free design.

Multiple rumors have suggested Apple is set to introduce wireless charging into the "iPhone 8", despite the company downplaying the usefulness of the technology back in 2012. Last month it was reported that Hon Hai - better known as Foxconn - is testing wireless charging modules for use in the 2017 iPhone, although inclusion of the technology in the iPhone 8 was thought to be dependent on whether Foxconn can boost the yield rate to a satisfactory level.

Reports that Apple was exploring extended range wireless charging for the 2017 iPhone also appeared back in January. Extended wireless charging is considered superior to existing wireless solutions because it does not require the device to be as close to a charging mat or source.

Apple's 10th anniversary iPhone, which is expected to feature a major redesign with a glass body and edge-to-edge OLED display that integrates a Touch ID sensor and front-facing camera, is expected to arrive in September 2017.

Article Link: iPhone 8 to Feature All-Glass Casing in Order to Support Wireless Charging

lellis2k

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
I'm torn on this, surely they won't release with current wireless charging system that require a specific orientation?
However a new wireless system would mean that you wouldn't be able to use it with the current public wireless chargers, however I suppose these are rare currently and the industry will adapt to Apple rather than vice-versa.
Let's not forget that Apple themselves said that wireless charging wasn't worth it as you'd have to take a charger with you anyway [citation needed], though having wireless charging in the most common areas (home,work,car) would still be worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: chrisbru

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
How do you use the iPhone while charging having this wireless charge? The mat (or whatever surface) has to be plugged somewhere.

It looks like another gimmicky tech like those $300 toothbrush with bluetooth.

It is a bit gimmicky at the moment, but has its benefits - for example, some cars come with a wireless charging pad built in so all you do when you get in the car is put the phone down in the tray that contains the charging pad and it charges and connects via Bluetooth to your in car system

It also reduces the wear on the charging port as you can charge it when you're not using it by just placing it on the pad (you can always charge with a cable if you need to charge and use the phone at the same time)

For me, wireless charging isn't a must have but would definitely be a nice to have :)

cicalinarrot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
Selling 6S? ...

All hail consumerism! All hail consumerism! All hail consumerism!

I bet Timmy is incredibly happy with customers like you :)
People have money, people spend money as they want.
If you're not a communist, don't complain about it.
If you are a communist, criticizing a single person on a forum mostly about unnecessary gadgets is a stupid way to start a revolution.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Oh great, now Apple can concentrate even less on battery life because of extended wireless charging. If they go down this route, Apple really need to make a sports/outdoors model with extended battery life, a decent camera, etc. When I am hillwalking, I don't give a **** about bezels, glass or thinness. I do care about being able to use the functionality of my mobile device for extended periods without having to charge.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
Maybe Apple could ask everyone else how they can charge wirelessly without a glass case.
Hell, even the Palm Pre announced in 2010 had wireless charging, yet it wasn't doomed to destruction following a slip from the hand.

Anyway, it is just a rumour...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.