Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
hey guys, as the title asks, do you think the MacBook will be updated with the touch bar and Touch ID, or will that be a "Pro" feature only? I haven't heard much in rumors about this feature. Thanks!

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
I doubt it will get a touch bar because that seems to be the major incentive along with the power, added ports, and screen sizes to go with the rMBP.

I feel the next move would be the new LED screen tech going into the MacBook (not sure what the tech term for it was but it has been mentioned here before) which would require less battery life to power it and more brightness.

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
Not likely in 2017.

Normally when Apple releases a new Mac model, it sticks with that design for a while. The internals that will likely be upgraded are silicon (CPU + integrated GPU), but not major things like the display, keyboard, or other externally-facing components.

Jayderek

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
Madison, WI
I think it'll happen eventually - just not this soon.

I think we're far more likely to get the touch ID portion of that first.

caelius

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2015
Innsbruck, Austria
A TB in 2017's rMB doesn't seem very realistic at the moment since it's the USP of the more expensive MBPs and since it would require them to completely change the internal design after only two years. Also, it probably would bring the rMB up to a price-point where it surely wouldn't be that attractive anymore. 2018, maybe.

(Touch ID, on the other hand, may very well be included.)

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
Hmmm thanks for the replies guys. I was holding out on the MacBook pro to see if the MacBook would have these new features but the closer we get to the expected announcement, the more apparent it is that the TB will be exclusive to the pro for awhile.

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I hope the Macbook gets it at some point in the next 2 years so I can upgrade. Playing with the new TB MBP's I felt like it was a feature worth paying extra for.

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
I hope the Macbook gets it at some point in the next 2 years so I can upgrade. Playing with the new TB MBP's I felt like it was a feature worth paying extra for.

Funnily enough I feel the exact opposite, I'm not saying it's garbage or you shouldn't like it just I don't feel it's worth the extra cost to me personally.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
Won't happen till a redesign (probably 2018) the touch bar is driven by an ARM chip which also houses the secure enclave for TouchID so you won't get one without the other and at the moment there is no room in the MacBook for a TB3 controller in there never mind an ARM chip.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
Won't happen till a redesign (probably 2018) the touch bar is driven by an ARM chip which also houses the secure enclave for TouchID so you won't get one without the other and at the moment there is no room in the MacBook for a TB3 controller in there never mind an ARM chip.
Awesome and insightful answer, much appreciated. That makes sense from a hardware side of things, something I will gladly admit I am not the best at.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
We're probably looking at Kaby Lake, 16GB RAM option, and possibly starting at $1,199. I don't expect anything major until 2018.

Zazoh

macrumors 65832
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Funnily enough I feel the exact opposite, I'm not saying it's garbage or you shouldn't like it just I don't feel it's worth the extra cost to me personally.
Same. And, there is still a brand new MBP without it. If developers and users both adopt it, it might stick around. Personally I don't see any advantage to it.

Disclaimer: I don't use 3D touch on iPhone except on accident.

Reactions: UltraInstinct

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
hey guys, as the title asks, do you think the MacBook will be updated with the touch bar and Touch ID, or will that be a "Pro" feature only? I haven't heard much in rumors about this feature. Thanks!
No unfortunately not, although it seems more suited to a MB audience. We'll probably see it in a few (2-3) years.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I think Apple will try to spread the TB across all MacBooks. They seem to be invested in this, and I'm guessing it will spread across all laptops eventually, replacing the nTB MBP at that price point and coming to MBs too.

However, as several people said here - it will probably be a while.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I hope not. With touchbar we loose on battery life, and on regular keys. We gain a gimmick feature for that? Thanks, but no thanks. But I do hope they will integrate touch id in :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.