Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today published its annual Best of 2016 charts for the App Store, iTunes Store, and iBooks Store, naming photo editing app "Prisma" as the iPhone App of the Year and "Clash Royale" as the iPhone game of the year.

Released in June of 2016, Prisma is designed to turn photographs into works of art using a range of different filters. Prisma garnered a lot of interest in 2016 and continually introduced new art filters.

Clash Royale, named Apple's best game, first came out in March of 2016. A card based game, Clash Royale encourages players to collect dozens of cards from the Clash of Clans universe and duel other players.

appletopapps-800x387.jpg

Apple also chose top apps and games for the iPad, Apple TV, and Apple Watch, with all of the top picks listed below:

iPhone App of the Year: Prisma
iPhone Game of the Year: Clash Royale

iPad App of the Year: Sketchbook Motion
iPad Game of the Year: Severed

Apple TV App of the Year: Twitter
Apple TV Game of the Year: Riptide GP: Renegade

Apple Watch App of the Year: MySwimPro - Personal Swim Trainer
Apple Watch Game of the Year: Field Day

Mac App of the Year: Bear
Mac Game of the Year: Life is Strange

Apple has named face-shifting app "MSQRD" as the runner up for best iPhone app, and swipe-based game "Reigns" as the runner up for best iPhone game, both of which are showcased alongside the winners in the main banner in the App Store.

Two new App Store sections, "10 Best Apps of the Year" and "10 Best Games of the Year" further break down the best apps chosen by Apple's editors, highlighting apps like Quartz, Vogue, Hyper, Plants vs. Zombies, Rodeo Stampede, and more. There are separate sections for both iPhone and iPad apps and games, each with different picks.

There are also a selection of apps in categories that include games playable on one hand, card-based games, celebrity games, video making apps, tap-based games, productivity apps, shopping apps, indie games, coding apps, and more.

In the Mac App Store, Apple has also published a full list of its picks for best Mac apps, with selections that include Spark, Polarr Photo Editor, Mini Metro, Doo, XCOM 2, Darkest Dungeon, Day One, Layers of Fear, and OmniGraffle 7.

Finally, Apple has announced the top apps based on overall App Store charts throughout the year, with Snapchat winning Top Free iPhone App and Heads Up! winning Top Paid iPhone App. For the iPad, YouTube was the top free app and Minecraft: Pocket Edition was the top paid app, while Netflix was the top free Apple TV app and Earthlapse TV was the top paid Apple TV app.

All of Apple's best app picks can be found in the App Store, with similar lists available naming the best music, TV shows, movies, and books in the iTunes and iBooks Stores.

Article Link: Apple's Best of the App Store in 2016:' Prisma' and 'Clash Royale' Win Top Honors

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Really? Yet another photo editing app and a dumb kids game?

I remember when the App store was actually useful for people who do things.
When did it cease being useful?

For me, it has provided:
  • Scrivener, PDF Expert, Scanner Pro, Weather Underground, Notability, Procreate, Pixelmator, Pages, Reeder, Documents 5, Workflow, MS Word, MS Excel...just to name a few.
But I get your point. I'd like to see "Best of 2016" for certain categories.
[doublepost=1481081340][/doublepost]
Apps for Apple TV and Apple Watch get awards. But nothing for the Mac.

True, but a few I can vouch for: PDF Expert, Scrivener, Pixelmator, Moom, Dragon Drop

Outside of MAS: Bartender, BetterTouchTool, Office etc.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Apps for Apple TV and Apple Watch get awards. But nothing for the Mac.

This is actually my fault. I had all the iTunes/App Store info, but it didn't include Mac App Store and I didn't think to look and include it. I've added it now! Top Mac app is Bear, top game is Life is Strange.

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
The App Store has been great (yes there have been some issues) but on the whole I've found some pretty good apps over the years.

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007

Sorry, dumb "kids" game?
Do you know how many adults play this? Just because it's a game you don't like, you don't have to be rude about it.

Reactions: chrismail627

Kajje

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
Asia
"Riptide GP: Renegade" winning the gold prize for Apple TV game of the year.
That's sad.

I've picked this one up a couple weeks ago. The lack of good tvOS makes me wondering why this platform isn't taking off.

The game itself is not a disaster, but is not great. It's just not prize material.
If *this* is what seemingly is the best one could make that's sad.

I do enjoy my Apple TV: Plex, Youtube, Dailymotion, some news apps, some simple quick games like Alto and Songpop. But no ports of killer iOS apps - Spotify comes first in mind.

I've been eating from different platforms like ShieldTV, Wii and PS4. I'd throw them out without any sadness if the ATV could just offer some more apps.

jdillings

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2015
I think Twitter is showing things like NFL and whatnot so they have that

Yeah but the Sling TV, Vue, DirectTV Now, and Sunday Ticket apps all have NFL games too. Giving the best TV app award to Twitter shows just how out of touch Apple is with TV viewers and why the Apple TV has been such a flop.

andy.ringwood

Suspended
Nov 20, 2016

LOL. It's a strategy game, go and play it and see how you get on. You'll be rubbish at it.
[doublepost=1481102373][/doublepost]
Ah, yes, Prisma. Where they doctor your image, place a watermark on it and then claim it is theirs to do as they please. Nice choice.
What is it with people? Of course they are going to put a watermark on it... You can remove it anyway. You're bizarre.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
I dont get why clash royale can be the game of the year. These freemium games are at a later stage all about money. You win the game if you pay more then the opponent. This makes it not worthy to be in any ranklist since a game should be won by skill or luck(dicing, gambling etc). Not your wallet.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Ah, yes, Prisma. Where they doctor your image, place a watermark on it and then claim it is theirs to do as they please. Nice choice.

Oh they're most welcome to plaster every surface of the Earth with doctored and watermarked pictures of my lunch.

Reactions: PaulRustad007

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
More ******** awards that don't take into account all of the calendar year. Apps released from now to the end of the year aren't even in the 2016 awards though released in 2016. Apple's not the onlw one doing this. The game awards do this as well.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
More ******** awards that don't take into account all of the calendar year. Apps released from now to the end of the year aren't even in the 2016 awards though released in 2016. Apple's not the onlw one doing this. The game awards do this as well.

It's almost the end of the year, and many will go on Christmas holidays. Either their app is ready by now, or there's always next year. I don't see how this comes as a surprise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.