Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is looking at ways to offload the Apple Watch's haptic feedback mechanism from the device's chassis to the wrist strap, according to a new patent application.

Published by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and spotted by AppleInsider, the patent application for a "Band attachment mechanism with haptic response" describes a band capable of alerting the wearer to incoming alerts and other notifications.

19479-19994-161222-Band-2-l.jpg

Applied to Apple's timepiece, the proposed design would serve to reduce the thickness of the chassis by transferring the linear actuator assembly to the bottom or the side of the wearer's wrist.

The document describes a hardware component outside the main casing that is able to move laterally and side to side relative to the watch chassis, with other embodiments able to move up and down or rotate around the axis, in contrast to existing embodiments which are limited to back-and-forth movements.

This would allow the outside mechanisms to reproduce the various movements of Apple's Taptic Engine, such as taps and shakes, with further variations possible depending on the integrated haptic subsystem.

19479-19996-161222-Band-4-l.jpg

The patent goes on to describe ways in which haptic devices could be embedded in the smartwatch band, such as within the strap buckle or spring bars, presumably receiving motion instructions via a hardwired connection.

Perhaps in contrast to some of Apple's other products, making the next-generation Apple Watch thinner would likely be welcomed by users. Locating the actuator outside the casing would also likely make haptic feedback more noticeable to the wearer.

The patent application was filed relatively recently, in June of this year, suggesting such a feature could still be included in the next iteration.

Article Link: Haptic Feedback Wrist Band Could Make for Thinner Apple Watch

Hdruxpin

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2016
This will also reduce the 3rd party bands appeal as they won't be able to undercut apple as much anymore. Ties you in the the apple bands more. Clever...

Reactions: AlexGraphicD

ginkobiloba

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Paris
That would be actually a terrible idea, if the haptic feedback is moved entirely to the band. It would mean no more third-party bands for the Apple Watch ( since they can't implement the patented technology ), and only a few bands made by Apple would have it . How are they going to implement it in the leather or the Milan bands ?

Royal Gala

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2016
Let's be honest here - this device was far too thick from day 1. Series 2 was next-level thick, which considerably reduced the appeal of the design.

It is great that they are exploring how it can be made thinner. And for once it seems that the battery isn't going to have to suffer for that objective.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Bad idea. So now every hand has to incorporate its own Taptic Engine hardware? Seems like a needless waste of resources and cost.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Thinner Apple Watch but more expensive bands and fewer 3rd party options.
[doublepost=1482411956][/doublepost]
Let's be honest here - this device was far too thick from day 1. Series 2 was next-level thick, which considerably reduced the appeal of the design.

It is great that they are exploring how it can be made thinner. And for once it seems that the battery isn't going to have to suffer for that objective.
Far too thick based on what? Most expensive mechanical watches I see are very thick and bulky.

Reactions: clauzzz203

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
It's like a dongle for the haptic engine. Just feels like passing the buck to something else mentality Apple has these days.

Royal Gala

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2016
Thinner Apple Watch but more expensive bands and fewer 3rd party options.
[doublepost=1482411956][/doublepost]
Far too thick based on what? Most expensive mechanical watches I see are very thick and bulky.

Based on how it feels and looks

Reactions: V.K.

Oblivious.Robot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Apple Watch looks fat in pictures, but once it's on your wrists it's barely noticeable. Instead I would be happier with more battery & performance (not that am complaining of either now, it's just that it's always a welcome need).

Reactions: chabig

Royal Gala

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2016
Apple Watch looks fat in pictures, but once it's on your wrists it's barely noticeable. Instead I would be happier with more battery & performance (not that am complaining of either now, it's just that it's always a welcome need).

There is no grand camera conspiracy at play here.

It really is that fat. The photos depict it as it is. It is noticeably a thick watch when worn. Why does the iPhone not look as fat when photographed? Because it is not.

http---a.amz.mshcdn.com-wp-content-uploads-2015-04-Andrew-Mens-Apple-Watch-Style-2.jpg

Reactions: clauzzz203 and V.K.

Oblivious.Robot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
There is no grand camera conspiracy at play here.

It really is that fat. The photos depict it as it is. It is noticeably a thick watch when worn. Why does the iPhone not look as fat when photographed? Because it is not.

View attachment 679361

There's no grand conspiracy that am trying to set up either, I own the first gen, and am only sharing my personal opinion.

Royal Gala

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2016
There's no grand conspiracy that am trying to set up either, I own the first gen, and am only sharing my personal opinion.

"Apple Watch looks fat in pictures, but once it's on your wrists it's barely noticeable"

So to clarify - you are not suggesting that when photographed the watch's appearance/size is distorted, so that it looks fatter than it actually is?

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
But do we need a thinner Apple Watch, or do we need a better battery, and ability for more physical features?
Think of the new MacBook Pro...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.