Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple may not take part in the annual Consumer Electronics Show, but the event is still filled with all kinds of Apple-related accessories from third-party vendors. Some aren't so great or are the same old thing, but others are novel, fun, and bring something new to the table.

For this video, we spent a couple of days exploring the show floor to find some of the best Apple accessories of CES 2017.

Incipio showed off a new iPhone 7 case that brings back the headphone jack. The case itself is rather thin, but there is a large chin at the bottom to accommodate both the headphone jack and and a Lightning charging port.

Griffin displayed its BreakSafe cables for the MacBook and MacBook Pro. The cables, including a new 100W model for the 2016 MacBook Pro, are designed to replace Apple's MagSafe connector, offering the same breakaway functionality over USB Type-C.

Henge Docks debuted a number of products to complement the new MacBook Pro. The original Vertical Dock allows you to dock your computer off to the side of a monitor, while the new Horizontal Dock allows you to securely dock the MacBook Pro without compromising usability. The Horizontal Dock features pressure sensors to know when the computer is present, and it then automatically connects itself with the computer. This dock has 13 ports available including HDMI, USB Type-A, and Ethernet. Henge Docks also announced the Tethered Dock, which gives you a station to connect multiple cables and charge your MacBook.

CMRA showed off a prototype Apple Watch band that features a front and rear-facing camera, but it didn't have a functional model on hand. We only saw a dummy unit, so we'll have to wait to see the band in action. The CMRA is already available for pre-order, but won't ship out until later this year.

Finally, NanoLeaf displayed its colorful array of Aurora lights. These HomeKit-enabled lights can be displayed on a wall and each individual light can be controlled through the Aurora app. NanoLeaf also demoed the new Aurora Rhythm sound sensor that allows the lights to react to music and sound.

If you missed them, make sure to check out the videos we did at CES Unveiled and Pepcom, two events that had tons of cool Apple products. You'll also want to check out our full CES coverage, which has dozens more accessories worth looking at.

Article Link: CES 2017: The Best Apple Related Accessories

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Gotta love the Incipio case that 1) adds extra length to the already long iPhone and 2) makes landscape use asymmetrical. I've posted it before, and it'd probably make an industrial designer groan, but given the fact that headphone jacks are longer than they are wide, it would make sense to put the jack and Lightning input on either side of the case:

tothesides.gif

Last edited:

dantroline

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2016
I wonder if the magsafe replacement includes royalties to Apple for making a magsafe.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Whoa, some products that look useful and/or appealing. And I thought it was all going to be smart hairbrushes and Bluetooth socks and whatnot. Though I haven't made up my mind about that camera band. It looks really bulky and uncomfortable and unbalanced.

FrisbeeK9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006

CMRA showed off a prototype Apple Watch band that features a front and rear-facing camera, but it didn't have a functional model on hand. We only saw a dummy unit, so we'll have to wait to see the band in action. The CMRA is already available for pre-order, but won't ship out until later this year.

I'm not so sure about this product. Hmm No "Functional model" at the large CES show?? Who wants to hold their arm up to do a video chat? Not to mention the angle would capture under the chin and nostrils in video. And lastly the camera only works with people using the CMRA software no SKYPE of FaceTime video compatibility.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
obvious solution : if companies don't like what Apple did, they make their own

I like this iphone case 3.5mm to lightening connector.

like that smart dock with connectors... They just magically slide out when it's docked:)

We have lift-off ! For some reason, I found myself playing 1.04 over and over again ... I just like it.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Gotta love the Incipio case that 1) adds extra length to the already long iPhone and 2) makes portrait use asymmetrical. I've posted it before, and it'd probably make an industrial designer groan, but given the fact that headphone jacks are longer than they are wide, it would make sense to put the jack and Lightning input on either side of the case:

View attachment 682206
you have a constructability issue there. you need clearances on the sides of the case. you are creating weak spots with your 'design'. so no go

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
OMG, a 3.5" & a MagSafe connector. Gee. Mouse & keyboard next year ?
Oh King Huo Mo please, predict a trackpad in 2019...
Retrofits & forward compatibility never got sooo exciting...

Last edited:
Reactions: dantroline

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006

Apple may not take part in the annual Consumer Electronics Show, but the event is still filled with all kinds of Apple-related accessories from third-party vendors. Some aren't so great or are the same old thing, but others are novel, fun, and bring something new to the table.

For this video, we spent a couple of days exploring the show floor to find some of the best Apple accessories of CES 2017.

Incipio showed off a new iPhone 7 case that brings back the headphone jack. The case itself is rather thin, but there is a large chin at the bottom to accommodate both the headphone jack and and a Lightning charging port.

Griffin displayed its BreakSafe cables for the MacBook and MacBook Pro. The cables, including a new 100W model for the 2016 MacBook Pro, are designed to replace Apple's MagSafe connector, offering the same breakaway functionality over USB Type-C.

Henge Docks debuted a number of products to complement the new MacBook Pro. The original Vertical Dock allows you to dock your computer off to the side of a monitor, while the new Horizontal Dock allows you to securely dock the MacBook Pro without compromising usability. The Horizontal Dock features pressure sensors to know when the computer is present, and it then automatically connects itself with the computer. This dock has 13 ports available including HDMI, USB Type-A, and Ethernet. Henge Docks also announced the Tethered Dock, which gives you a station to connect multiple cables and charge your MacBook.

Finally, NanoLeaf displayed its colorful array of Aurora lights. These HomeKit-enabled lights can be displayed on a wall and each individual light can be controlled through the Aurora app. NanoLeaf also demoed the new Aurora Rhythm sound sensor that allows the lights to react to music and sound.

If you missed them, make sure to check out the videos we did at CES Unveiled and Pepcom, two events that had tons of cool Apple products. You'll also want to check out our full CES coverage, which has dozens more accessories worth looking at.

Article Link: CES 2017: The Best Apple Related Accessories

This post would be so much easier to read if you put a photo of each product you describe.

Erik Humphrey

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2016
Ottawa, Canada
Gotta love the Incipio case that 1) adds extra length to the already long iPhone and 2) makes portrait use asymmetrical. I've posted it before, and it'd probably make an industrial designer groan, but given the fact that headphone jacks are longer than they are wide, it would make sense to put the jack and Lightning input on either side of the case:

View attachment 682206

You mean landscape use?

Reactions: AngerDanger

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
So, most of the "Best Apple Related Accessories" are focused on bringing back features that were recently abolished by apple. Looks like people complaining in MR forums for all the latest apple choices, are not representing a small fraction of users after all.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
The theme this year? Let's replace everything Apple took away!

Common sense by the manufacturers. In general, people are resistant to change whether it is for better or worse. These products aim right at that and will be successful for the first year or so before they are no longer profitable because people have moved on and accepted the changes.
[doublepost=1483773903][/doublepost]
So, most of the "Best Apple Related Accessories" are focused on bringing back features that were recently abolished by apple. Looks like people complaining in MR forums for all the latest apple choices, are not representing a small fraction of users after all.

A small percentage doesn't mean a small number of people. Even aimed at a small percentage of iPhone or Mac users is still millions of people. Not to mention that these products were picked as the best by the MR contributors and don't represent any type of award like you'd see with the best apps from the developers conference.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
The theme this year? Let's replace everything Apple took away!
I think that's great for those who still need all of those things that Apple took away. To those that don't need them, they probably seem like so much bric-à-brac.

And those in the middle can of course pick and choose the ones that seem most useful.

I'm curious about the BreakSafe cables. Are they fully functional, or do they only work as power cables? MagSafe was great as far as it went, but if you tripped over the HDMI cable you had running to your living room TV (for instance), the computer would still go flying. (But your power cord would be mercifully spared, thanks to MagSafe!). If BreakSafe works for all USB-C cable applications, then people who connect more than just the power outlet would be protected.

Guy Clark

Suspended
Nov 28, 2013
London United Kingdom.
Many of the recently released accessories (for Macs in particular) show how inadequate the modern Mac is for the consumer.

A 2014 Retina MacBook Pro is a far more flexible and useful machine than the 2016 abomination. Macs are no more than fashion accessories instead of productive tools these days with the exception of the iMac.

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
Gotta love the Incipio case that 1) adds extra length to the already long iPhone and 2) makes landscape use asymmetrical. I've posted it before, and it'd probably make an industrial designer groan, but given the fact that headphone jacks are longer than they are wide, it would make sense to put the jack and Lightning input on either side of the case:

View attachment 682206
where is the space for the lightning jack inside the case?
[doublepost=1483791499][/doublepost]
Hi. I'm looking for incessant whining about things I could easily just ignore. Have I found the right thread?
This is not the site you are looking for :D

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2014
Haha. Seriously though. When the ash settles and the sky turns blue again, future civilizations will uncover the fossilized remains of the ancient internet, and wonder how we ever got out of bed in the mornings.

Reactions: Jfurn

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Interesting products. Love the dock... however, it is funny how most of the products focus on bringing back features that were taken away over the past couple of years.

Love my Apple products, and know we must move forward, but you'd think a little more attention to details like "people love the MagSafe connector on a Mac, someone would make that a "must have" in their priority list. But who knows... I'm guessing within a couple years, "plugging in" your laptop will be more of a rarity as even charging is going wireless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.