20G ipod for mac, will it work for windows?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by johnnyirish, Jun 28, 2003.

1. macrumors newbie

I have a 20G ipod for a mac and was planning on giving it to my father, does anyone know if it is capable of working with windows if i give him the software that comes with a windows version iPod (ituens for windows) or is the software on the ipod itself, and if so can this be changed? Thank you for any knowledge or help

irish

2. macrumors 604

iJon

it will work. although i do not reccomend giving him musicmatch, its had awful problems. go get ephpod from www.ephpod.com. but he will have to format his HD to windows so you will lose all the songs on the ipod.

iJon

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

20 gig mac iPod for windows

thank you iJoh for the help and advice on the software to use, but do you know if i am able to get my fater a fire wire card for his PC so he can connect the iPod, and also is it easy to re-format the iPod to windows....it's ok if the songs get deleted he hates my taste anyhow....haha

thank you

4. macrumors 604

iJon

you just, as long as he has a free pci slot in his computer. just go to best buy or something and pick one up, they should have one.

iJon

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks iJon, i will tell him to get a fire wire card, the seem pretty cheap, but do you know how to re-format the iPod, or is it pretty basic and start to do so when he first plugs it in? sorry for all the questioins....thanks again

John

6. macrumors 604

iJon

Re: 20 gig mac iPod for windows

just install the ipod software and it will format it automatically. simple as that.

iJon

7. macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

Be careful...with the old iPods you couldn't format for Windows and then eventually go back to a mac format. It may be different with the iPod software 1.3, but if you EVER want to use it again on a mac... you may have problems.

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks again for the help, it will be staying with a PC....
    have a good day

john